The Student Room Group

7th Oct: Why are condoms and tampons the most embarrassing thing to buy ever?!

This week on The Surgery on BBC Radio 1, we’re talking about stuff that’s embarrassing, or generally awkward.

This show is called ‘Condoms and Tampons’ - why are they the most embarrassing things to buy in a shop?! Do you find you have to buy a basket full of other stuff to stay inconspicuous? Or are you unfazed by it?

What other stuff like this do you find embarrassing? We want to know!

Note: you can post anonymously in this forum

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For completely non sexual reasons, I once purchased a cucumber (I forgot to buy it earlier in the day) and baby oil. The looks I got at the checkout were hilarious
I think the time that the contents of my shopping basket was lingerie, baby oil and cable ties was infinitely more embarrasing.

True story, my FWB at the time insisted I could do whatever I liked with her as long as I picked up those items on the way over, so I figured, if I could just ignore my burning sense of shame for 5 minutes I'd be in for a hell of a night :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I used to be embarrassed about people knowing when I bought pads and whatnot but now I just don't care because people expect you to be on your period anyway :lol:

In terms of condoms, it's embarrassing because health stores still ask me for ID :lol:
I don't see anything embarrassing about buying pads or tampons at all. It's not like you'd get embarrassed over buying toilet paper either so. :lol:

Original post by thecatwithnohat
I used to be embarrassed about people knowing when I bought pads and whatnot but now I just don't care because people expect you to be on your period anyway :lol:

In terms of condoms, it's embarrassing because health stores still ask me for ID :lol:

Since when did you need to be IDed for condoms? :lolwut:
It's all in your own head. Social conditioning has taught many to be embarrassed because of yhe connotations.

Don't be. Menstruation is a fact of life for all women. Condoms are nonody elses business but your own.

The best way to deal with this is to hold your head high and turn the embarrassment on to the onlooker by being completely brazen sbout it. If you have the nerve, ask an assistant questions about the products like "which condom should I use for maximum sensitivity?" Guaranteed to mortify the recipient!
I'm more likely to go to a female cashier if I'm buying tampons, I'm not sure my reasoning behind this, maybe they're more likely to understand idk

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not at all embarrassed about buying pads, why should I be? It's just a natural thing that all women have to deal with. I've never bought condoms though so I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.
Original post by littlenorthernlass

Since when did you need to be IDed for condoms? :lolwut:

Ye...

What society really needs is for teenagers to have unprotected sex...
It's not embarrassing at all and I don't know anyone who thinks it is
They look at the size you buy and silently judge. :ashamed2:
When I'm buying things like lingerie I always pray that I get a female cashier... It just makes me feel uncomfortable otherwise. Although they probably do not even care what we are buying but they could be silently judging.
i just feel like an absolute boss buying condoms, as otherwise i get nervous.
Reply 13
Original post by Zuki
For completely non sexual reasons, I once purchased a cucumber (I forgot to buy it earlier in the day) and baby oil. The looks I got at the checkout were hilarious

This made me smile.
Could be worse....you could try and go incognito using self service with a whole multitude of items on the transaction, to help get over that thing about buying condoms, only to have your card denied, and have to go through to a checkout operative, minus a few items, when it them becomes obvious that you are buying condoms.

Actually very awkward. Not going to lie.
Not at all embarrassing.

I bought my first condom when they were on offer and i was 14. I was excited at getting to use them than bothered about other people's reactions. Can't say I've been embarrassed since, if anything i just smile at the female cashier displaying my sexual prowess.

I once embarassed my ex when i loudly shouted across 'what type.. ribbed, flavored.. which brand, cheap ones or durex'. Was hilarious.
Original post by Rakas21
Not at all embarrassing.

I bought my first condom when they were on offer and i was 14. I was excited at getting to use them than bothered about other people's reactions. Can't say I've been embarrassed since, if anything i just smile at the female cashier displaying my sexual prowess.

You are so cringy.
they forgot towels :mad: not everyone uses tampons :colonhash:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You are so cringy.

That's very possible. :tongue:

There does seem to be a plethora of hot cashiers in Boots and Superdrug though.
for tampons its probably because you think that everyone knows you are bleeding for 5 days straight. and the fact that some guys cant handle the fact that we have periods
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest