Turn on thread page Beta

Mistakes by the exam board on actual exam *questions* watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyrowolf)
    You're a moron.

It's "an historian" and it's a "gramatical error" not a "grammer error" you stupid goon.

Also you should learn to spell you dyslexic retard.

Do you comprehend the irony of you complaining about grammar when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself.

Just my humble opinion.
    That's bang out of order and it's actually a 'grammatical error' (double 'm').

ReputationRep:
    do any of u guys do A2 history with these topics
    Cold war to Detente
    British decolonisation
    USA in korea and vietnam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Yea but the actual wording of the question left a definite ommision. " Between the years and 1922"

I think it was ok, really I'm not worried Just angry really..
    If that was the wording that really was a mistake. However, if it was phrased "in the years to 1922" (as you suggested in your first post) that would be completely correct and you would probably be expected to cover the period from the First World War until 1922.

ReputationRep:
    "How did the economic problems from the First World War allow Fascism to gain strength in the years to 1922"
    :confused: That sounds fine to me... they wanted you to use your knowledge of WW1's effect on Fascism up to 1922. It possibly could be clearer, but surely the phrase "in the years to 1922" is fine...?

ReputationRep:
    ...this happened in politics a few years ago.. I think it was Edexcel.

It wasn't that the question was spelt wrong, but it was literally unanswerable. Anyway I was told that after they dealt with the complaints they compensated the marks for the students who had done that questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    oh yeah, there was the one on the gcse paper that i took (maybe you as well) last year, where one of the boxes on the graph only had 4 little boxes instead of 5, or something like that.
    i was actually talking about a separate incident in an alevel exam, which was a few years ago, i think
    yeah and they knew about it cuz the paper took place in hong kong 8 hours before...

ReputationRep:

* Dreama pouts *

I don't know if anyone else noticed, or if it applies to anyone but I took Edexcel AS Modern History yesterday.

On the Italy: Fascism question there was a typo where they had not included one of the dates... Can't remember the exact wording but it was something like

"How did the economic problems from the First World War allow Fascism to gain strength in the years to 1922"

Uh, yea thanks Edexcel. You rock. :rolleyes: Luckily from the context I could deduce the answer they wanted was from *around* 1919-ish, but it isn't fair. You don't need that sort of hassle in the middle of an AS exam.

Does anyone know what happens when exam boards screw up?

Hope everyone survives exam season without a heart wrenching attack of "what the hell are they asking me?"

Kissies,
    Dreama xxxxxxx
    I thankfully didn't have that problem, i did Stalin instead, lol

What did you do in British History?

ReputationRep:
    it's really unlikely that they made an error. The papers are checked thoroughly (sp?) before they're sent out and if they find an error after they are sent out, your teacher should notify you before the exam.

I think last time they did make an error and it wasn't noticed till after the exam, it made the news so i doubt this was an error lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyrowolf)
    You're a ****i*g moron.
    *cough* Can you say double post?

ReputationRep:
    there was an error in an ocr physics FFE paper a few years back - they gave the mass number of gold to be something incorrect....in the end they awarded marks to people who used either the given value or the correct value. But it's gotta be handled differently in history questions like that

To be honest i thought todays S2 some of the questions were phrased reaaaallly badly (cough q2 cough)

ReputationRep:
    pyrowolf- you also wrote 'grammer' i believe it's 'grammAr' deary talk about irony

ReputationRep:
    In the AS biology exam we had the other day, they wanted ud to write down the Base sequnce for a DAN molecule which represented one ofr da mRNA molecule, , and gave us squears to put our answer, but there wasnt enough squars??????????? i didnt know what i was suppose to do, i wrote a note to the examiner saying that there was a squar missing"supprise----supprise"

Do u think hell take it persoanlly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    In the AS biology exam we had the other day, they wanted ud to write down the Base sequnce for a DAN molecule which represented one ofr da mRNA molecule, , and gave us squears to put our answer, but there wasnt enough squars??????????? i didnt know what i was suppose to do, i wrote a note to the examiner saying that there was a squar missing"supprise----supprise"

Do u think hell take it persoanlly?
    DAN molecule?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a D1 paper that there was an un-answerable question it :-S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    DAN molecule?
    YES! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sprite)
    there was also a mistake on my paper. i did boom and bust paper. they made a grammer error. they wrote
    'an historain' when its meant to be 'a historian'

nothing like your one though

no , the grammar is right - it's meant to be an historian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    That was totally unnecessary, you could have corrected him without being offensive.
    Indeed. But "an historian" isn't even incorrect

I believe if it is a heavily aspirated aitch or of foreign origin it is perfectly acceptable to say "an". You could say "an hotel" (as it is foreign) but you would say "a horse".

ReputationRep:
    oh ok. my mistake coz i didnt know u cud say an historian

ReputationRep:
    sprite, i am doing the cold war to detente module for unit 6 edexcel. haven't started revising yet! how's it going for you?

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry for my recent remark to sprite. Many of my more offensive statements were not my own words but some of my friends who founds Sprite's inability to understand basic grammar at the same time as he insulted a statement that was grammatically correct an irresitable target for abuse.

I do however hope that sprite is not taking any english exams for his own sake.

Again just my humble opinion

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.