coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I got some questions about ionisation energy as i don't really understand it.

1. the equation for the first ionisation is O2 ---> O1+ + e- for oxygen, so does it mean that it is just oxygen atoms before but afterwards it is an ion? The 3rd ionization energy equation is X2+ → X3+ + e-, does this mean it orginally has 2 ions but after the third ionisation energy it now has 3 ions?

2. why does fluorine have the highest first ionisation energy? Why can't it be the last element in period 5 or 6 ? Does the first ionisation energy link to period 2?

3. which ionisation energy forms 4+ions? Is it the fourth ionisation energy?

4. how many ionisation energies are possible for boron? is it 5 becuase there are 5 electrons?

Please can you answer each question separately! Thanks so much
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,

I'm doing a level chemistry too and I can help you with a few of them

1. The 1st ionisation energy is the energy needed to remove one electron from the outer shell. Once the electron has been removed it becomes an ion with +1 charge as it's lost a negatively charged electron. The 2nd ionisation energy- you start with the postively charged ion and another electron is removed making it a 2+ ion and so on .......
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (13)
7.1%
They've been reasonable (76)
41.53%
Not feeling great... (47)
25.68%
They are TERRIBLE! (47)