The Student Room Group

Ched Evans' rape conviction to be reviewed after new evidence emerges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34441348

Views? What do you think if his conviction is overturned?

Scroll to see replies

If it is overturned he may be able to get his life back on track.
Good
Reply 3
Well looks like he may of been telling the truth the whole time. Just goes to show, women always have the law on their side until evidence says otherwise. And feminists think they have LESS rights?
Reply 4
Doubt it will get overturned. His career is over anyway.
Original post by Gears265
Well looks like he may of been telling the truth the whole time. Just goes to show, women always have the law on their side until evidence says otherwise. And feminists think they have LESS rights?

Do you have any information as to the new evidence?

The Court of Appeal tends not to have a lot of sympathy with artificial new evidence cases of which there are many, where the defendant simply tries to rehash the evidence that wasn't believed the first time.

Obviously, neither prosecution nor defence adduced evidence from the people at the window but again the Court does not take kindly to evidence that was available but which the defence deliberately chose not to call.

The Court is likely to be much more sympathetic to a new eye witness as to the state of the woman's intoxication.

About 2/3 of referred cases succeed on appeal but some of these are open and shut such as where someone is cleared of old crime through DNA evidence or where the real criminal confesses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec

I doubt it.
Think of the Millions he has lost out on, nevermind his liberty. If they find in his favour, Pretty sick
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I doubt it.

I doubt it as well, rape allegations are a life sentence whether true or not.
Original post by Gears265

Yes, that must be why only a tiny, tiny proportion of women who allege they've been raped see a man convicted at the end of it. The evidence at the time showed, in the eyes of the court, that it was beyond reasonable doubt rape. Let's see what this is that's emerged and if it changes anything.

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Think of the Millions he has lost out on, nevermind his liberty. If they find in his favour, Pretty sick

I'm sure there'll be a claim for significant compensation if it's found he was wrongly convicted.

That is true. If it is true, then I actually don't care, good, suffer the consequences. If it's not true, then that is a problem which should be solved really.

Original post by Scott.
Doubt it will get overturned. His career is over anyway.

I doubt it.

It's more to do with the fact that he'll have been out of professional sport for four years - no footballer will recover from that no matter what the cause.
That is true. If it is true, then I actually don't care, good, suffer the consequences. If it's not true, then that is a problem which should be solved really.

It's hard simply because so many cases are true, but not proven, and there is always going to be that stigma attached to it so long as there's such a painfully low portion of rapists who are successfully prosecuted.
Original post by Saoirse:3
It's hard simply because so many cases are true, but not proven, and there is always going to be that stigma attached to it so long as there's such a painfully low portion of rapists who are successfully prosecuted.

Well yes, but that's where we really need improvements on our justice system. You're right, there is a stigma but right now I don't care about his career prospect just because he is on trial, after we find out I shall properly share my opinion on how I feel. right now I'm feeling....I don't know...not sure.
It's more to do with the fact that he'll have been out of professional sport for four years - no footballer will recover from that no matter what the cause.

And his reputation completely destroyed.
Well yes, but that's where we really need improvements on our justice system. You're right, there is a stigma but right now I don't care about his career prospect just because he is on trial, after we find out I shall properly share my opinion on how I feel. right now I'm feeling....I don't know...not sure.

Massive improvements, but also in how we see rape as a society. So long as we have so many people saying "it's not really rape", or "just because she was drunk doesn't mean it wasn't consent", or "you don't need consent if it's your partner!", women who have been victims won't come forward. That's before we even talk about how the police and CPS handle it.
And his reputation completely destroyed.

Even if you take that out. If he'd decided to take a 4-year career break or something, there's just no way you can reach the same level again after that long out.
Massive improvements, but also in how we see rape as a society. So long as we have so many people saying "it's not really rape", or "just because she was drunk doesn't mean it wasn't consent", or "you don't need consent if it's your partner!", women who have been victims won't come forward. That's before we even talk about how the police and CPS handle it.

I agree, it's not clear. And yes police, completely agree!
Yes, that must be why only a tiny, tiny proportion of women who allege they've been raped see a man convicted at the end of it

Well perhaps there's a reason for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why, why, why, why, why, why, why do feminists always frame everything relating to rape in terms of female victimhood? You do realise more men are raped in The USA every year than women?

Rape IS NOT a gendered crime. You do not have a monopoly on victimhood.

While we're here, we all really would appreciate it if feminists would stop exploiting genuine victims of rape to manufacture b******t misandry like '1 in 3 women are raped or sexually assaulted on UK campuses' (where the definition of sexual assault is extended to include 'stare rape' and 'brushing of clothing').

As for the CPS, they've recently stipulated the burden should be placed on the male during investigations to demonstrate his innocence. You can hardly accuse them of being lax on the issue!

Want to improve the cause of GENUINE victims of rape? Start by tackling hysterical confirmation bias and bigotry within the feminist movement, which has lost nearly all credibility over the last decade and which serves to switch just about every single man in The UK off from even caring about the issue.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending