The Student Room Group

BCCD at A.S - applying to university

I achieved BCCD in Year 12, although I had some extenuating circumstances (not too severe) but did affect performance ever so slightly, which I believe will be mentioned on my reference by my referee. The B was in English, C in Biology and Maths and D in Economics. I would like to apply for Biology at university, I dropped economics and I am continuing with Maths, Biology and English. I am hoping for AAB predictions in Biology, English and Maths respectively. I will be doing several AS retakes along side my A2 exams.
Should I apply to Russell group universities?
Original post by alexus.ajou
I achieved BCCD in Year 12, although I had some extenuating circumstances (not too severe) but did affect performance ever so slightly, which I believe will be mentioned on my reference by my referee. The B was in English, C in Biology and Maths and D in Economics. I would like to apply for Biology at university, I dropped economics and I am continuing with Maths, Biology and English. I am hoping for AAB predictions in Biology, English and Maths respectively. I will be doing several AS retakes along side my A2 exams.

Depending on your GCSE grades, you should probably give it a go. AS grades only really matter because they are what your predicted grades are based on, so if you have a strong application and a generally good profile you should stand a chance :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by antigone-
Depending on your GCSE grades, you should probably give it a go. AS grades only really matter because they are what your predicted grades are based on, so if you have a strong application and a generally good profile you should stand a chance :smile:

A* in PE and Food Tech, the rest A's. My GCSE grades are average/below average.
A* in PE and Food Tech, the rest A's. My GCSE grades are average/below average.

Ha not too far off mine and I'm applying to Oxford :tongue:

Yeah I would give it a go. I wouldn't apply to the top end of the Russell Group (Oxford, Imperial etc.) but you would have a chance at universities like Southampton, Manchester or Leeds for example :smile:

I had exactly the same grades but B (one mark of an A so being remarked) in Spanish, C in Biology and French and D in Chemistry, I'm applying to do Genetics and still going to apply to Cardiff, Exeter etc. You should be fine as long as your predicted grades are higher :smile:
Reply 5
Ha not too far off mine and I'm applying to Oxford :tongue:

Yeah I would give it a go. I wouldn't apply to the top end of the Russell Group (Oxford, Imperial etc.) but you would have a chance at universities like Southampton, Manchester or Leeds for example :smile:

I am definitely not applying to Imperial or Oxford as I know my academic record is definitely not strong enough.

Original post by ameliajane.
I had exactly the same grades but B (one mark of an A so being remarked) in Spanish, C in Biology and French and D in Chemistry, I'm applying to do Genetics and still going to apply to Cardiff, Exeter etc. You should be fine as long as your predicted grades are higher :smile:

Thankyou. What are your predicted grades? Out of interest.
I am definitely not applying to Imperial or Oxford as I know my academic record is definitely not strong enough.

Where are you thinking? Your GCSEs would have been okay for Oxford if they were in more traditional subjects, and as for your AS, people have gotten into Oxbridge with BCBC so there's a massive variety. Other RGs allow for far more diversity across grades though, so as long as you predicted at least ABB, you should be okay. Predictions are really all that matter.
(edited 8 years ago)

A for Spanish, B for Biology and C for chemistry but my teacher has said he will bump it up to a B if i work at A*/A standard before he has to make a decision :smile:
Does everyone who get grades like this on here go through extenuating circumstances i see so many posts like these
Original post by jonnypdot
Does everyone who get grades like this on here go through extenuating circumstances i see so many posts like these

I always wonder what people class as "extenuating circumstances", as I doubt most unis would class anything not as serious as death of a loved one or illness as worthy :/
Reply 10
A for Spanish, B for Biology and C for chemistry but my teacher has said he will bump it up to a B if i work at A*/A standard before he has to make a decision :smile:

Thankyou.

Is it unrealistic to predicted a C --> A in biology? I am working at an A grade standard.

Original post by jonnypdot

My extenuating circumstances are not severe, but it did disrupt my education throughout the whole academic year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thankyou.

Is it unrealistic to predicted a C --> A in biology? I am working at an A grade standard.

No I think if you speak to your teacher ask them what you need to achieve in tests etc. for them to predict you up
Reply 12
No I think if you speak to your teacher ask them what you need to achieve in tests etc. for them to predict you up

I shall, thanksl. Fingers crossed that they predict me an A.
Where are you thinking? Your GCSEs would have been okay for Oxford if they were in more traditional subjects, and as for your AS, people have gotten into Oxbridge with BCBC so there's a massive variety. Other RGs allow for far more diversity across grades though, so as long as you predicted at least ABB, you should be okay. Predictions are really all that matter.

WHOOO?!?! I need to meet this person and ask them how they did it, seriously, that's amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
WHOOO?!?! I need to meet this person and ask them how they did it, seriously, that's amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Retakes, good GCSEs and high predictions! :tongue:
Happens occasionally I guess!
Retakes, good GCSEs and high predictions! :tongue:
Happens occasionally I guess!

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH HOPE YOUR POST HAS FILLED ME WITH!!! Honestly, you've made my evening - thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH HOPE YOUR POST HAS FILLED ME WITH!!! Honestly, you've made my evening - thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go and get that offer my friend :smile: Any aptitude tests for CompSci?
Go and get that offer my friend :smile: Any aptitude tests for CompSci?

Hahahaha, I'll try! Yeah, we have to do the MAT but a slightly different set of questions to the Mathmos - I'm aiming to smash it. The average for an interview is about 55%, currently sitting at 70% (I believe that's the average for an offer) so hopefully another month of prep will pay off, bring on November the 4th.

Do you have to do the HAT for the joint course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahahaha, I'll try! Yeah, we have to do the MAT but a slightly different set of questions to the Mathmos - I'm aiming to smash it. The average for an interview is about 55%, currently sitting at 70% (I believe that's the average for an offer) so hopefully another month of prep will pay off, bring on November the 4th.

Do you have to do the HAT for the joint course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately :frown: best of luck to us both I guess! :biggrin:
Unfortunately :frown: best of luck to us both I guess! :biggrin:

Definitely, good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending