The Student Room Group

Want to apply for Oxbridge for Law. However, my GCSE's may hold me back.

Looking for advice.

I was only able to manage an A*AAAAABBB at GCSE, and when compared to those getting 11 A*'s, it's quite daunting.

For AS, I received AAAA and my predicted grades are A*A*A.

In terms of AS UMS, for two of my subjects, I got over 90%, but for the other two (one of which I dropped) I received around 84% UMS at AS.

Is it worth applying to either Cambridge or Oxford, and if so, which one would be more advisable?

It may be important to note that i've only considered Oxford up until now, as it's the only Uni I have visited out of the two. For law, the LNAT is required, but this is not so for Cambridge. In terms of law for Cambridge, what do I need to do in the application process before I send off my UCAS on the 15th of October?

Thanks

E; Doing Politics, Philosophy, History at A2.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by NOP97
Looking for advice.

I was only able to manage an A*AAAAABBB at GCSE, and when compared to those getting 11 A*'s, it's quite daunting.

For AS, I received AAAA and my predicted grades are A*A*A.

In terms of AS UMS, for two of my subjects, I got over 90%, but for the other two (one of which I dropped) I received around 84% UMS at AS.

Is it worth applying to either Cambridge or Oxford, and if so, which one would be more advisable?

It may be important to note that i've only considered Oxford up until now, as it's the only Uni I have visited out of the two. For law, the LNAT is required, but this is not so for Cambridge. In terms of law for Cambridge, what do I need to do in the application process before I send off my UCAS on the 15th of October?

Thanks

E; Doing Politics, Philosophy, History at A2.

The deadline is Thursday so it seems a bit late to be asking. Basically GCSE are relevant for both places for Law. Churchill, at Cambridge, state that 9A* is the normal for those they give offers to.
Very high UMS can compensate for lower GCSE at Cambridge but by high I mean an average of 95%+.
You really should have looked at both courses to see which you prefered and tailored your PS to show your interest. To be honest I think either is a serious risk. You cannot be guaranteed an interview at either. But if your other choices are sensible there is no reason not to give it a go if you want to.
I suspect Cambridge is the better chance for an interview.
Cambridge; Oxford do not get to see your UMS at AS and tend to put more weight on GCSEs.
Either way, it's a bit of a rushed decision
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Cambridge; Oxford do not get to see your UMS at AS and tend to put more weight on GCSEs.
Either way, it's a bit of a rushed decision

Where is the evidence to the TSR myth that Oxford puts more weight on GCSEs?
Original post by Little Toy Gun

An admissions adviser from Cambridge and a large number of our teachers
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
An admissions adviser from Cambridge and a large number of our teachers

Does this admission adviser work at Oxford as well? Do those teachers work at Oxford? What do they get that 'fact' from? TSR?
Reply 7
If you had been planning to apply for a while then I see no reason why you shouldn't. If it's a rushed decision though your PS might not be tailored specifically enough to Oxbridge courses, which might make them put more wait on your GCSEs rather than your current academic ability. Stupid I know, why the **** your grade in GCSE Chemistry or something should impact your likelihood of being accepted to do a Law or Politics when you have a strong set of more relevant AS results is beyond me but that's the way it is. I'm in the same boat, so I'm making sure my personal statement and reference are as good as possible before sending them off to try to compensate for mostly As at GCSE (but an A* in the subject that is relevant for what I'm applying for). If you've only considered applying now your PS might not be what they're looking for, but if you feel like it really suits the course you are going for I'd try applying just to see what happens. As long as your other choices are sensible of course. But be quick about it - you have exactly two days and 2 minutes to sort it out. Make your decision quickly and don't dawdle or the decision will be made for you.

Good Luck.
Does this admission adviser work at Oxford as well? Do those teachers work at Oxford? What do they get that 'fact' from? TSR?

He often works in conjunction with Oxford tutors and as for the teachers, they have just had a lot of experience sending off a lot of students to Oxbridge and have been told this by former university tutors.
If you want to go, do it. You got good grades. Just perfect your personal statement and apply before 15th of October 2015, 6:00pm. I don't know which university though. That is up to you :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks for the info, lads. Sent it out a couple of days ago, anyway.

Some of us have been on these forums for many years and in my case have already graduated from Cambridge (Economics).
Cambridge publishes a huge amount of material on its university and college websites explaining how it makes its decisions and the relevant weight of UMS, GCSE and other aspects of the application. Cambridge have a form where you have to list every module taken with the UMS, Oxford do not ask for this information. The published information shows that GCSE score is one of the ways in which they filter, they interview fewer % candidates typically, than Cambridge.
It is not a myth, trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
What the hell is wrong with the higher education system when the most prestigious universities in the country make admissions based on completely irrelevant variables?
Original post by J.SMART
What the hell is wrong with the higher education system when the most prestigious universities in the country make admissions based on completely irrelevant variables?

Cambridge have collected data over many years showing that UMS are the best predictor of degree success. They publish it on their website under admissions research. They can also show that school background does not affect degree success unlike other universities. Their admissions system involves interview and putting all these factors into the context of background and relevance.
Undoubtedly it's not perfect but what would you substitute?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Colmans
Cambridge have collected data over many years showing that UMS are the best predictor of degree success. They publish it on their website under admissions research. They can also show that school background does not affect degree success unlike other universities. Their admissions system involves interview and putting all these factors into the context of background and relevance.
Undoubtedly it's not perfect but what would you substitute?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If every degree course ranked the GCSE subjects in order of relevance so that an A* in History and and A* in Biology are not equal when it comes to say...Politics or Medicine respectively.
Reply 15
Original post by J.SMART
If every degree course ranked the GCSE subjects in order of relevance so that an A* in History and and A* in Biology are not equal when it comes to say...Politics or Medicine respectively.

Because GCSEs individually aren't that important. You don't need a GCSE in History to do Politics. You don't even need GCSE History to do History A-level. And actually Chemistry (A-level) is usually seen as more important for Medicine than Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Colmans
Some of us have been on these forums for many years and in my case have already graduated from Cambridge (Economics).
Cambridge publishes a huge amount of material on its university and college websites explaining how it makes its decisions and the relevant weight of UMS, GCSE and other aspects of the application. Cambridge have a form where you have to list every module taken with the UMS, Oxford do not ask for this information. The published information shows that GCSE score is one of the ways in which they filter, they interview fewer % candidates typically, than Cambridge.
It is not a myth, trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And where is this published information claimed? That Oxford does not ask for UMS is at best only circumstantial evidence.

Why should I or anyone trust you when you still have yet to provide any evidence to back your claim up? Note that being around for a long time on TSR is not a plus, but rather a minus in this case; and having graduated from Cambridge is irrelevant unless you are an admission tutor at Oxford.
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Because GCSEs individually aren't that important. You don't need a GCSE in History to do Politics. You don't even need GCSE History to do History A-level. And actually Chemistry (A-level) is usually seen as more important for Medicine than Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need it no. But it is silly to say that chemistry and history have equal importance for a history degree.
Reply 18
Original post by J.SMART
You don't need it no. But it is silly to say that chemistry and history have equal importance for a history degree.

Well, at GCSE yes they do. Individual GCSEs really are not *that* important.
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
Well, at GCSE yes they do. Individual GCSEs really are not *that* important.

They aren't technically more important in terms of getting into university. But they should be. having high grades in essay subjects at GCSE should be taken into account over your grades in none-essay based subjects if you are applying for such a degree and vice-versa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending