DMacaroy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys!
I am going to be choosing my options for my GCSEs soon and because I am in top set English, I get the option to do Latin as an after school club. I thoroughly enjoy it and would love to take it as a GCSE subject, but do you think I need to take another language (French or Spanish) as well, only my choices are obviously limited and I would prefer not to take French or Spanish but if it is very beneficial then I would do so. Do universities/colleges count Latin as an official language and do any of you have experience with Latin GCSE?
Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you,
Dillan :)
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya,

There are some universities that like to see you've done a modern foreign langauge however they're normally more concerned about your a levels. I'm in year 12 and I did both French and Latin GCSEs, mainly because I couldn't decide between them! Latin is a very interesting subject as well as being useful for other subjects such as science, history, english and french. As well as the language you learn lots about Roman culture and history. I also found that there was an overlap between french and Latin which made both subjects a lot easier.On the otherhand doing 2 languages does limit your other option choices so only go for it if you are really keen, there were lots of people in my year who just did Latin though!

If you need any more help or advice just ask
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Latin has no speaking. I would definitely say do a modern language too. Latin grammar will help immensely with your understanding of Romance grammars which are very poorly taught.
Treblebee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's probably fine - anyway, it's the only language I'm doing, so it had better be!
Phoebus Apollo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,
I took Latin, French and Arabic GCSE so I was in a similar situation to you.
If you enjoy languages, I would definitely say take French and/or Spanish because I do think they will be beneficial for you in the future. For example, UCL (University college london) has a requirement that you must have studied a modern foreign language at GCSE and this EXCLUDES Latin, ancient greek etc. - so if you wanted to apply there, you should definitely take another language on top of Latin.
However, that being said, don't just take french/spanish for the sake of it - take them only if you enjoy them! Seriously, what I've learnt is don't take a subject which you think is *good* or *looks good* - just take a subject because you enjoy it and you will do brilliantly.
I loved Latin GCSE and it actually made learning French much easier in comparison (Latin is pretty challenging!) like someone said before me I definitely think Latin will help you to grasp modern languages more quickly, so that's a bonus too.
Good luck!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It all depends what you might decide to do for A level - or eventually at Uni.

If you are going to do sciences then clearly doing latin instead of a more obvious science or maths subject would be silly - but if you intend to do something like English, History, Law or Languages then latin would be very useful.

Lots of advice here about choosing A level subjects to help you think about 'what next' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-form_subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (195)
14.4%
I'm not sure (61)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.03%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.73%
I'm not a current university student (668)
49.34%

Watched Threads