The Student Room Group

How hard is AAB in these A Levels?

I'm intending to study Pharmacy at University and therefore intend to do the following A Levels:

- Biology (AS and A2)
- Chemistry (AS and A2)
- Physics (AS and A2)
- BTEC Level 3 IT (AS - Just something more relaxed).

I'm going to put alot of effort in, as I do now, but I am constantly warned about the difficulty of Chemistry and I've also witnessed people fail it. How hard as these subjects combined? Do you advise staying at your current schools sixth form too rather than going elsewhere? I'm in Year 11 currently. If you've studied any, is there anything you wish you knew before starting?
hi,
i'm currently in year 11 too.
i have 4 older brothers who have done really well in a levels
and the best advice i have received from them is don't go in with the same attitude that you may of had during your gcse. (GCSE is a lot easier compared to AS, lots of people may have got like A IN GCSE and then think like they will achieve similar grades, BUT THEY DON'T)
as the rumours that AS/A LEVELS is hard IS TRUE. however if your willing to put the work in it will become easier.

furthermore, i personally cant wait to leave and there is no way on earth that im going to my schools sixth form as it is really BADDD.
i'm applying for a scholarship.
but that's my school yours may be good. ( you may want to go else where so its lie a fresh start but then you may wanna stay coz its easier and you are used to the environment and nearly 95% likely to get in)

i really hope this helped sorry for any mistakes :smile:
:smile:
Hi!
I'm currently in Year 13 and although I don't study any of these I have friends that do so I'll try to help. AAB is hard to get anyway, sorry to break it to you BUT if you work hard throughout the year you'll do well. Also don't worry if at first your grades are lower than you'd like, this happens to almost everyone. It's a big jump from GCSEs to A-Levels. But if you're applying to a university with UCAS points there are plenty of things you can do to get extra points in case you don't get the grades. I have heard Chemistry is the hardest A Level, but I have seen people get D's and A's in it. Just stay on top of your work and ask for help whenever you need it. All sciences are useful but difficult. I've also heard Biology is the easiest of the 3 at A-Level and Physics is a lot of fun. See how you do at GCSE's before making your final decisions.

Also! I went to a college rather than my school's sixth form and I love it. It's a new atmosphere and very freeing, I think I'll find it easier to adapt to university. And about the AAB, wait for your offers at the beginning of Year 13. Universities may offer you lower and have been known to accept people with slightly lower grades. Hope this helped :smile:
I'm in year 13 now and am going to applying for pharmacy this year.
I do chemistry, geography, biology and dropped maths last year.
I managed to get AAB in the subjects I'm carrying on
It is difficult - especially the chemistry & I know physics is one of the hardest A-levels to do
But it is doable. Just work hard. Do many many past paper questions and revise as you go along, don't leave it till near exam time. Find a good exam technique and you will achieve. Getting A's or A*'s in the sciences is so difficut at A-level but definately not impossible.
Honestly if you think you can achieve in your own school stay there. I moved to a different school because it statistically was better than my old school - but the school does not garuntee you'll do well. Just some schools are better prepared than others for the whole UCAS stuff.
Good luck :smile:

Chemistry is definately the most interesting of my subjects I think and I managed to get an A in it at AS. I got an A* in it at gcse. It's hard but not too hard. It's not further maths standard of difficulty.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did biology and chemistry last year for AS
i got an A in biology (and so far on track for A at a2)
I dropped chemistry after getting a C at AS, I also got the highest grade of all my mates doing chemistry (mix of D's and U's)
It depends on you tbh
Reply 5
I am going into year 13 in september and I study maths, chemistry, biology and as economics with grades ABAA respectively. Personally I find chemistry A LOT harder than my other subjects as shown by my grades but there are other ppl i know that find chemistry one of their easiest subjects because they just understand it almost straight away. My main piece of advice I would give to anyone in year 11 is to revise in your free periods all throughout the year!!!! Its so easy to mess around with your friends in them, i wasted them all year until easter where i just had enough time to turn all my grades around by studying in every free period, but don't leave it to the last minute like me!!!

Quick Reply

Latest