This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hiya anyone with any tips please post a reply.
I'm buying a new PC and here are the specs:

AMD Athlon 2.6 XP+
512Mb Fast DDR
120 Gb Hard Drive
Floppy + Card Reader
16X4&DVD-Rom Drive
DVD-R/RW Pionner A05
56K V.92 Internet Ready
M\B XP+8xAGP,6USB
128Mb FX 5200 Tv Out
5.1 Sound sound Card
10\100 Fast Ethernet
35OWatt ATX 4 Bay
1 .200Watt Sub Surround
Internet Keyboard + mouse

Now what i'm worried about is not know all the info needed when talking about the specs. i now the basics like the hard drive ut i really need help when it comps to the graphics card.
i would most be most thankfull for some one to tell me if this one is any good and like if it can play new games.
The computer comes without an Operating System or monitor so i'm wondering which one like, Windows 2000 XP etc is the best for gaming and ofcourse do my college work upon.

I would all love if some one could give me a approxamate guess as to how much it would all cost just so i know i'm not paying over the odds.

Thanks everyone!
Loads of Luv x Jen x
Suk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well not sure if this is the info u want,but it may be usefull! Basically when buying a new pc, i usually keep everything that i can use from the old one (depends if u plan to keep using the old one i guess!) as i see it as a waste(big) to spend cash on keyboards, mouse, monitor, soundcard if i can reuse what i have! Also i wouldn't recommend a 120gb hd really, as u shud never use up that much space, so it cud jst be a waste of cash!(i have 30gb hd and its nowhere full and i have 3000 odd mp3's). Other then that, ure pc looks fine but where are u planning to buy it from? as if its a retail shop (pcworld, comet etc) they will rip u off with "free" extras.... so id recommend buying off the net where u can get what u need rather then fancy extras!

Anyhows hope this helps, but ure pc looks fine to play games etc, but id recommend either a Geforce4 or radeon9000 for a graphics card.

Ciao
Gimp
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That wouldn't be off eBay (or another internet auction site) by any chance, would it?
Suk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, that wud be more somewhere like www.scan.co.uk where u buy the products individually and they make it for u, u get what u want and nothing more. Or u can look in the yellow pages for ure local IT place which will build it for u again only what u need.

Ebay wud jst be like comet,pc world in the respect u have a limited choice on what ure buying and also i wud never buy a 2nd hand pc, something jst sounds dodgy about it to me.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hey guys, no i'm not buying it from a be retailer its just a small shps thats all so the prices seem fair, like i said no monitor or operating System so im using the monitor off this one and have to buy a new OS.

Speaking of Radeon, the man has said he would do the pc with the same specs and the price but would use a 160 Gb Hard Drive (and to be honest the bigger the better since ill have loads of mp3 and games on it) and changed the graphics card to a 256 Mb Tv Out Radeon 9200. is that better???
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hey guys, no i'm not buying it from a be retailer its just a small shps thats all so the prices seem fair, like i said no monitor or operating System so im using the monitor off this one and have to buy a new OS.

Speaking of Radeon, the man has said he would do the pc with the same specs and the price but would use a 160 Gb Hard Drive (and to be honest the bigger the better since ill have loads of mp3 and games on it) and changed the graphics card to a 256 Mb Tv Out Radeon 9200. is that better???
In that case you need to know how many RPM the drives are in order to compare them. Obviously drives aren't all of the same quality, and some will be better, and have faster access times than others.

Unless you know for sure, and are well informed of what you're getting from a small-time retailer, i'd advise you to purchase from a well-known branded manufacturer.
The Dude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by GibbonGimp)
Also i wouldn't recommend a 120gb hd really, as u shud never use up that much space, so it cud jst be a waste of cash!(i have 30gb hd and its nowhere full and i have 3000 odd mp3's).

He's right. Apparently, the larger the hard-disk the slower the pc and I reckon its probably true because the H.D spends more time searching for data than it would if it was smaller. I have a 40gb H.D and have only ever reached 50% full. And if you have a CD-RW drive you don't really need a huge H.D because you can burn most of your mp3 data etc to cd-r/w, and this allows you to keep your H.D small for better games performance etc.

My brother has an Athlon 1800+ CPU and it is a fast chip. So don't worry about the Pentium/Athlon debate, where people are saying Pentium is better because it isn't true. Athlon and Pentium are very close in performance and with alot of systems Athlon is apparently better. People only say Pentium is better than Athlon because they like to have 'Intel Inside' (i.e, they are suckers to advertising and marketing). BTW I have a P4 1500mhz so i'm not biased towards Athlon.

I've recently purchased a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card and it was a bit dodgy when I first bought it but with the new drivers it is performing pretty well now (fingers crossed). But I can't really advise on graphics cards because I have never owned an ATI card so don't know which is company is better. However, remember that the GeForce 4 series (although good cards) don't support the upcoming Direct X 9 features which will be used in Doom 3 for example. The 5200 card you have mentioned supports DX 9 but apparently it is a lame card and is like a souped up GeForce 2 mx 400. I would advise an alternative card and remember that the graphics card is one of the most important components for games, so make this a significant part of your budget if you want a gaming machine.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I agree with pretty much everything you guys have said. A note on choice of OS - I wouldn't advise delving into Linux unless you have a really good understanding of computers. Despite all of the anti-microsoft comments that go around the net, Windows is a pretty damn good OS - it's easy to use and will support the most hardware devices and games. I would suggest going for Win98 SE or XP, avoid WinME.

Having said that, with a 160GB HD you can afford to partition it and install more than one OS. That way you can have the best of both worlds
bones
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Err, that last post was by me btw. I forgot to login.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wouldn't recommend scan.co.uk, they are pretty expensive although they do have some good offers on their todayonly page. I would recommend ebuyer.com and komplett.co.uk
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
i wouldn't recommend scan.co.uk, they are pretty expensive although they do have some good offers on their todayonly page. I would recommend ebuyer.com and komplett.co.uk
Same here, also Dabs and Simply
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.14%
No (575)
65.86%

Watched Threads