Turn on thread page Beta

If you lack basic skills are you thick? watch

ReputationRep:
    What defines a thick person? Is it bad english or maths, is it lack of knowledge of the world, or is there more to it than that?

I lack (compared to this forum) both english and maths skills, however ding to the Daily Mail my maths skills are still above average, I can at least work out percentages etc and use the yellow pages which 1/3 adults apparantly cannot (Daily Mail).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    What defines a thick person? Is it bad english or maths, is it lack of knowledge of the world, or is there more to it than that?

I lack (compared to this forum) both english and maths skills, however ding to the Daily Mail my maths skills are still above average, I can at least work out percentages etc and use the yellow pages which 1/3 adults apparantly cannot (Daily Mail).
    I don't think being thick is about lack of knowledge. It's more a lack of common sense.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry AT I am so thick at Maths, I basically failed Maths A, and im crap at Biology which is strange becuase im getting A's for everything else. So in those subjects I would classify myself as thick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I don't think being thick is about lack of knowledge. It's more a lack of common sense.
    Indeed Amb1~!

ReputationRep:
    Well everybody just seems to be better at me in everything. There dosn't seem tro be anything I am good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Indeed Amb1~!

ReputationRep:
    Well everybody just seems to be better at me in everything. There dosn't seem tro be anything I am good at.
    Hmm, it seems you were quite good at laundering money from saudi arabia

ReputationRep:
    If its any consolation, you are better at computers than I am. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    Hmm, it seems you were quite good at laundering money from saudi arabia
    I wish, although I am not as poor as some students I know, at least I can actually afford a holiday even if it is on student loans!

Everdawn - Yep but loads of people are better than me! Although at univesity I am in the top 75% so I can't be as bad as I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Exactly..

ReputationRep:
    I wish, although I am not as poor as some students I know, at least I can actually afford a holiday even if it is on student loans!

Everdawn - Yep but loads of people are better than me! Although at univesity I am in the top 75% so I can't be as bad as I think.

ok, this is me with my computer....

"oh look, theres the big button that is the ON switch.... press that.. oh look ill just click the button that says "family" and oh! look at the pretty colours! fantastic wall paper!!! oh look, the mouse will click on the internet button...oooh! yay!!! more pretty colours!!! oh, look www.uklearning.net..." and that is the extent basically of my knowledge of computers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I don't thick it is about lack of common sense; there are plenty of brilliant academics who don't have a great deal of common sense, but are by no means thick. I think being thick is more about not being able to learn -- not being able to become knowledgable.

ReputationRep:
    I was have always thought of thick of not really knowing anything around your environment or being crap at basic things.

ReputationRep:
    I was have always thought of thick of not really knowing anything around your environment or being crap at basic things.
    ie- The Wavell rugby team

ReputationRep:
    Most people are thick.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good question, and one that's quite tricky to answer. Thinking of people who I'd usually regard as "thick", it tends to be a combination of lack of common sense, an inability to learn new things (or become knowledgeable, as someone else said) and some kind of general lack of cognizance about the world in general. I guess it's all three in combination, because some incredibly bright people lack common sense and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    thick = lack of logic, direction, common sense, understanding of the meaning of life, not necessarily stupid or lack of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to learn new things without being shown it works first if that makes sence? I kind of have to see it working to believe it. Although I did teach a programming langauge called RapidQ by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe we all analyse it too much

According to dictionary.com:

thick
    [Informal] Lacking mental agility; stupid

Simple as that

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to learn new things without being shown it works first if that makes sence? I kind of have to see it working to believe it. Although I did teach a programming langauge called RapidQ by myself.
    that doesn't mean you're thick, it means you have a different way of learning something.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.