10th October World Mental Health Day 2015 - AMA

Watch
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Inspired by the wonderful thread by The_Lonely_Goatherd on her experiences on living with schizoaffective disorder (which can be found here; I urge you to go read it - it was the thread that made me finally face my own issues!) I have decided to make my own thread about mental health illnesses.

World Mental Health Day 2015 falls on the 10th October, and the theme is "dignity". I think this is very fitting since living with mental health issues and maintaining a sense of dignity is awfully hard in this day and age with the amount of stigma that still surrounds mental health.

Personally I suffer from anankastic (obessive-compulsive) personality disorder, dysthymia, and dissociative symptoms, including pseudo halluciations.

So AMA about my illness and what it's like living with it, etc, or what I generally think about mental health. They will never do a year on personality disorders, sadly, so this is all I've got.

Francesca

PS Honestly, though, please look at TLG's thread. While it is 14 pages long, it is very informative and shows how brave she is.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do apologise for the amount of questions I'm going to ask, sorry!

1) What is the difference between OCD and OCPD?

2) How do you realise that you were ill? I know you mentioned TLG.

3) What do you wish the medical profession would do to help people with mental health issues?

4) What do you think friends can do to help their friends with mental health problems?
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by OU Student)
I do apologise for the amount of questions I'm going to ask, sorry!

3) What do you wish the medical profession would do to help people with mental health issues?

4) What do you think friends can do to help their friends with mental health problems?
No, no, it's ok!

Favourite question ever, not gonna lie. Ooh, I love explaining this one! This has been shamelessly lifted from my blog (imanankastic.blogspot.com). Credit goes to the little section the NHS website has on OCPD.

•People with OCD are aware that their behaviour is abnormal and are anxious about it. Most people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder think their behaviour is perfectly acceptable and have no desire to change it.

•Some people with OCD are compelled to carry out rituals, such as having to touch every second lamppost as they walk down the street. This is not usually the case with people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder. (EDIT: I have rituals myself, probably because I am borderline OCD.)

•People with OCD may feel compelled to make lists or organise items in their house, but feel anxious about doing so. People with obsessive compulsive personality disorder find relief from anxiety when doing such tasks and may become irritated when prevented from doing so.

I think in an odd way I have always known. I have always been such a perfectionist, since I was a child, even my daddy has said so. I was always viewed as the odd one out.

When I went to grammar school, however, things began to intensify. From the age of 11, every 6 months, I would have a complete breakdown and not be able to fully function for about 2 weeks. This would get even worse when it came to exams. But I work so well under stress and pressure even though it makes me ill that I have always done well.

Then, in 2013, I signed up for TSR for personal statement help, and like many people, I became obsessed with the site. I spoke to TLG through the religion forum (I have religious issues too that link in with my pseudo hallucinations - ie I believe that we are all controlled by some hierarchy and that nothing we do is original, and this has manifested into one of my voices who belittles my decisions - I even thought having different voices inside my head was normal!) and I found the mental health forum through shameless looking at what she had posted at. And then I found her World Mental Health thread, and realised "crap, how I feel, being down every day, that isn't right".

Wow, super long.

I wish they would be more understanding and actually listen instead of lumping us all into one box of "crazy". I wish they wouldn't use us as human experiments and prescribe us medication after medication - I get why they do, and I have been through it, except I wish they had given me like a week break in between anti psychotics instead of making me start a new one as soon as the last one hadn't worked.I think the medical profession need to understand that while yes, Person A and Person B might both have the same diagnosis, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have the same symptoms. Mental health issues are unique to each of us who have them, and that needs to be recognised.
I would also wish that there wasn't such a stigma even within mental health against personality disorders.

Friends, first and foremost, need to be there to support their friends with mental health problems. Whether it is getting them a cup of tea after a freak out, ordering them food if they are out for lunch and the person has social anxiety, even letting the person with mental health have some alone time for a few hours is helping them. Friends who have friends with mental health problems shouldn't judge and shouldn't pry either, but just understand.
Airmed
Rep:
?
:bump:
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for your reply. Very interesting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
17.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.42%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.51%

Watched Threads