The Student Room Group

Am I good enough to apply for Medicine in 2017 entry?

Hey, I am currently in year 12 and wish to apply for Medicine for 2017 entry I am really passionate about it, but I am scared my GCSE results are not good enough.

For GCSEs, I got...
English Language- A
English Literature- A*
Maths- A* (I did this in year 9)
AQA Certificate of Further Maths- A^
Geography- A*
German- A
Biology- A*
Chemistry - A
Physics- A (My Physics and Chemistry grade is what is worrying me the most :/)
1/2 R.E - A* (Did in year 10)

I did AS I.T in year 11 and got an A. I also sat Core 1 Maths AS Level, two years early and got an A in that also.

I am currently studying A Levels
AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
OCR A Physics
OCR Maths

with the intent of dropping Physics at AS Level and carrying the rest on for the full A Level
I have organised work shadowing at hospitals and I attend SJA every Wednesday and volunteering at Brownies on Fridays.
I know I have to achieve a very high UKCAT average overall.I hope to apply for Kings College London.

I was hoping if anyone could give me any advise in how I could improve my chances or if I even had a chance?!

Thank you!
Original post by Jammie123
Hey, I am currently in year 12 and wish to apply for Medicine for 2017 entry I am really passionate about it, but I am scared my GCSE results are not good enough.

For GCSEs, I got...
English Language- A
English Literature- A*
Maths- A* (I did this in year 9)
AQA Certificate of Further Maths- A^
Geography- A*
German- A
Biology- A*
Chemistry - A
Physics- A (My Physics and Chemistry grade is what is worrying me the most :/)
1/2 R.E - A* (Did in year 10)

I did AS I.T in year 11 and got an A. I also sat Core 1 Maths AS Level, two years early and got an A in that also.

I am currently studying A Levels
AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
OCR A Physics
OCR Maths

with the intent of dropping Physics at AS Level and carrying the rest on for the full A Level
I have organised work shadowing at hospitals and I attend SJA every Wednesday and volunteering at Brownies on Fridays.
I know I have to achieve a very high UKCAT average overall.I hope to apply for Kings College London.

I was hoping if anyone could give me any advise in how I could improve my chances or if I even had a chance?!

Thank you!

Of course you stand a chance, you got straight As and A*s.

However you may not be able to use maths towards any offer as you'll be completing it over more than two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
Of course you stand a chance, you got straight As and A*s.

However you may not be able to use maths towards any offer as you'll be completing it over more than two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still pretty worried, because most people have straight A*s. Oh well, can't change my GCSE's now.

I wrote AQA Maths Core 1 in year 10, but we stopped and started doing the further maths gcse instead. Now I am doing OCR Maths, so it's a different exam board and I have to redo Core 1, which is frustrating ://

Thank you for reply! <3
I'm still pretty worried, because most people have straight A*s. Oh well, can't change my GCSE's now.

I wrote AQA Maths Core 1 in year 10, but we stopped and started doing the further maths gcse instead. Now I am doing OCR Maths, so it's a different exam board and I have to redo Core 1, which is frustrating ://

Thank you for reply! <3

Don't be daft, your grades are still really good and you'll have plenty of options.

You're lucky you're now using a different exam board, otherwise your maths wouldn't count for a lot of universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Don't be daft, your grades are still really good and you'll have plenty of options.

You're lucky you're now using a different exam board, otherwise your maths wouldn't count for a lot of universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin: You're amazing!

I guess I'll have to grateful! :tongue: I just hope I don't get a lower score on my core 1, because that would be really annoying.

Do you think it won't matter that I didn't get an A* in Chemistry GCSE? :s

Sorry for all the questions!
Thank you! :biggrin: You're amazing!

I guess I'll have to grateful! :tongue: I just hope I don't get a lower score on my core 1, because that would be really annoying.

Do you think it won't matter that I didn't get an A* in Chemistry GCSE? :s

Sorry for all the questions!

It really won't. Avoid really heavy gcse universities like Cardiff but there will be plenty of places that your gcses are more than good enough for. There are other factors like ukcat and bmat as well that will help narrow down where to apply when the time comes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It really won't. Avoid really heavy gcse universities like Cardiff but there will be plenty of places that your gcses are more than good enough for. There are other factors like ukcat and bmat as well that will help narrow down where to apply when the time comes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, thank you. I think all the universities are changing their entry requirements because the 2017 entry are the first people to apply with the new A Level linear system.

I was hoping to apply for Kings College, Queens, Birmingham and I am unsure about my fourth one. I know I have to do the UKCAT for all of them.

I was wondering if you knew that if I did the BMAT, do I have to declare my score to the unis that do not require it and only require UKCAT?

I know Oxford is unrealistic, but I was hoping to look into Imperial or UCL...

However, I haven't properly researched the BMAT like I have the UKCAT.
Oh okay, thank you. I think all the universities are changing their entry requirements because the 2017 entry are the first people to apply with the new A Level linear system.

I was hoping to apply for Kings College, Queens, Birmingham and I am unsure about my fourth one. I know I have to do the UKCAT for all of them.

I was wondering if you knew that if I did the BMAT, do I have to declare my score to the unis that do not require it and only require UKCAT?

I know Oxford is unrealistic, but I was hoping to look into Imperial or UCL...

However, I haven't properly researched the BMAT like I have the UKCAT.

You sit the BMAT after you've applied so you don't know your score beforehand. Only universities that use the BMAT will receive your score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
You sit the BMAT after you've applied so you don't know your score beforehand. Only universities that use the BMAT will receive your score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn, yeah I don't think I'll be doing the BMAT.

Thank you! I thought it was similar to UKCAT, but it seems not! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending