Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

edexcel A2 french watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    jus wonderin wot u guys think are the best topics to learn for vocab really as i cant think wot else i can revise for french??!!!!
    ali

ReputationRep:
    hey i'm doing this too! is it the 29th june unit 6b you're doing? i'm just getting my teacher to make me up lots of passages in english with a passage of text to translate into french (for the writing & reading paper)
    have u got a topics and texts exam on the 23rd? wot texts/topics are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    hmm, seems no1 is interested in answerin my completely wonderful thread, fair enough but u dont know wot ur missin out on!! its a great 1!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    hey i'm doing this too! is it the 29th june unit 6b you're doing? i'm just getting my teacher to make me up lots of passages in english with a passage of text to translate into french (for the writing & reading paper)
    have u got a topics and texts exam on the 23rd? wot texts/topics are you doing?

sorry, dnt get the topics/ texts bit!!
    my teacher might have called it sumfing different i spose!!
    yea im doin it the same date as u tho!
    i havnt been given anythind to learn/do from my teachers, just loadsa past papers!!
    pls explain wot u mean coz i need loadsa help on this!!

ReputationRep:
    hey i mean unit 6b (29th june) is three papers put together. there's listening & writing, reading & writing, and the writing for registers paper. for the reading and writing paper, the writing bit, is a passage in english, which you have to translate into french, using the article on the previous page (the passage in french which you answer questions on). so as i've already done the past papers (there's only 2) my teacher is giving me articles and then a passge to translate into french usingthe article.

so do you have an exam on the 23rd or not?

ReputationRep:
    HI
    what topics or texts are you doing for unit 5? I'm doing la Corse and 'Boule de Suif' and 'Therese Desqueyroux', anyone doing these?

ReputationRep:
    heya,
    well confusion sorted!!
    No im not doin then exam on the 23rd, man u panicked me tho as i havnt been given ne texts or nefing!!
    nah im jus doin 6a, b and c and the 29th.
    writing in registers is a right pain tho!!
    u got any good phrases the examiners will love that can fit into most situations??
    cumon share the wealth!
    e.g pour resoudre le probleme il faut qu'on fasse.......(they just cant get enough of those damn subjunctives!)

ReputationRep:
    hey
    really? rutera you're doing 'boule de suif' as well?? thats great-me too!
    i've been looking for someone on these boards who does the same text as me for ages!
    my 2nd text is l'avare. how come you're doing three?
    how are you revising for 'boule de suif'? do you know of any good websites?
    i'll post some good phrases for the writing exam for you soon spali i just have to find them!-but don't worry i will!

ReputationRep:
    I hope that these help....
    For the writing in registers paper, if a formal letter comes up...

Pourriez vous? (Could you)

Je vous serais reconnassant(e) de bien vouloir... (I would be grateful if you would...)

Serait-il possible de...

m'envoyer... (send me)

m'expliquer...

me faire part de.... (explain to me)

me fournir... (provide me with)

eg...Pourriez vous m'expliquer la situation?

then...

Je voudrais vous faire savoir... (I would like to let you know...)

En reponse a votre question...

Suite a votre demande...

Il nous est possible de payer votre logement...

C'est avec regret que je dois vous faire part de...

ReputationRep:
    for the discursive essay you could use these:

-la situation s'empire de jour en jour=the situation is getting worse every day
    -le gouvernement a intérêt à...=it is in the government's interest to...
    -le point crucial de débat=the crucial point of the discussion
    -au noeud du débat=at the centre of the debate
    -expliquer le pourquoi de...=to explain the reasons for...

hope those help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    hey
    really? rutera you're doing 'boule de suif' as well?? thats great-me too!
    i've been looking for someone on these boards who does the same text as me for ages!
    my 2nd text is l'avare. how come you're doing three?
    how are you revising for 'boule de suif'? do you know of any good websites?
    i'll post some good phrases for the writing exam for you soon spali i just have to find them!-but don't worry i will!
    For boule de suif, I-m just studying from my notes and learning some important quotations. I haven't actually studied all the stories in depth, only about half of them and the ones my teacher thought were important (BdS, Mlle Fifi, Pere Milon, etc). He made us do 1 topic (la Corse comme region de France) and 2 texts so that in case both questions for one of them are really hard then we always have another choice.

ReputationRep:
    im scared.

are you lot doing paper 5 or something? i did coursework so i think i miss that paper.
    but paper 6.... french is my weakest subject

ReputationRep:
    Hey people!im really worried about my french exam have no confidence what so ever which the teacher says is part of the problem! How do u lot revise for the french?? i've asked for past papers but no result! Do you know if u can get them on the internet any where? Does any one go through all the note made and make flash cards for the vocab or am i just wastin my time?!?! :confused: Any tips would be gratefully received and I'll help too!

ReputationRep:
    I know wot u mean bout not knowing how to revise.
    yea i got practice papers but its really hard to improve just by doing that.
    if its papers u need there's prob sum on the internet, but also at the back of textbooks are practice exam questions.
    i tried to remember how i was taught words (english) in primary school!! so now i have a tin full of english words, which i have learnt the french for, which i pick out at random and translate, then have a list of the english with the french to check if ive got them right!!
    wots good bout this is they come out randomly, coz sometimes you can learn lists and only remeber it coz u know wots cumin next................
    has anyone else got tips to learn vocab??

ReputationRep:
    undefined
    With my flash cards for vocab, write the french on one side and english on other etc. Tend to drop them quite often so they get muddled by themselves! But i struggle to know which words to put on them! Do you take major subjects and just deal with them?? or concentrate on general linking words and things like that!? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I bought a vocab book, then just tried to learn all the vocab that I thought was important. I usually say the word out loud then right it down. When I do French revision I try to listen to French radio...gets me in the 'mood'. And it really helps when you do a listening paper.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.