The Student Room Group

Is it considered a bad thing for a Girl to be Shy??

in western culture? if so why? and do women feel the pressure that they should be loud and more confident? and do men prefer or value shy girls or the confident loud outgoing type?

Scroll to see replies

I love a girl that is shy. For me, personality-wise, it's the most endearing characteristic a girl can have.
Original post by Warrior Gene
in western culture? if so why? and do women feel the pressure that they should be loud and more confident? and do men prefer or value shy girls or the confident loud outgoing type?

I'm quite shy and sometimes I wish I wasn't. But I wouldn't want to be loud either as that's not really who I am. It wouldn't hurt to have a little bit of extra confidence though lol :redface:
Original post by ImNotSuperman
I love a girl that is shy. For me, personality-wise, it's the most endearing characteristic a girl can have.

Same here. I wish more people could realize that.
I think the most unattractive thing in a girl is being really loud and noisy. The perfect example of these unattractive people (in my honest opinion) are those featured on Geordie Shore. One in particular, (I think her name is Charlotte?) there was a clip on facebook of her laughing so hard she wet herself and you saw her urinating herself after slipping into a door or something and laughing about it.

Personally I feel western media does try to push these personality types on to girls, as if they should be like that.
Na I'm a quiet person myself, would love to meet a quiet girl who I'm happy with :h:
There is such a thing as being annoyingly shy, as women are not meant to be as timid.
Reply 7
I'm super Shy and sometimes (in the past) people liked to jump to conclusions especially girls that I have attitude etc but that really wasn't the case. However once you get to know me, I talk lots. I've figured if I try to act like something I'm not, I look silly.
Reply 8
No, I dont think it's considered a bad thing for either gender to be that way tbh however it's sometimes a little irritating when you say hello, ask how someone is etc and due to the fact they are so ridiculously shy they respond with something like "mhm" while avoiding eye contact. It means you can't even converse with them and so in those scenarios Id say it was "bad", yes. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^ Shy people are usually very respectful and they do not want to disrespect, what I mean is it may seem hard to converse with them but generally they are very grateful if other people understand that they stay quiet or talk less because its their nature not because they do not like someone talking to them.
It gets stressful when you see people around just chatting away and laughing casually and you can't think of anything to say.
At uni, I get anxious that the few people I hang out with will just leave me for somebody who's easier to talk to and outgoing :redface:
Original post by jedanselemyia
It gets stressful when you see people around just chatting away and laughing casually and you can't think of anything to say.
At uni, I get anxious that the few people I hang out with will just leave me for somebody who's easier to talk to and outgoing :redface:

Haha I know what you mean, I find it easier to talk in smaller groups, when it's a larger group of people I sort of give up after a while and resort to 'speak when spoken to' logic :lol:
I hope not.
Original post by Warrior Gene

Loud mouthed girls are very unattractive to me. I find it cute when a girl gets self conscious about things. That said, when person with low self esteem is not generally that attractive though. So I would say the ideal would be slightly shy and self conscious, but not too much.

On another note, lots of girls nowadays use makeup to make their eyebrows arched and aggressive looking. I have never found that attractive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
Haha I know what you mean, I find it easier to talk in smaller groups, when it's a larger group of people I sort of give up after a while and resort to 'speak when spoken to' logic :lol:

I understand! I'm much better in a conversation with a single person.
Very true. I find it hard to integrate into the general flow of banter and I don't want to sound awkward when trying to attempt something so I stay quiet and smile :blushing: :laugh:
Some guys find it pretty cute actually.
There's shy and then there's really really really shy. :pain:
Some guys like it, others don't.
Yes, in some counties it is punishable by death.
I don't think so.

It's easy to tell when a shy person becomes comfortable with you because they lose their "shyness". It's actually kinda cute :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest