Turn on thread page Beta

What is your favourite piece of artwork? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Mine is Georgia O'Keefe's flowers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.avatarity.com/avatars/7/77/7764.jpg

Does anyone know how to make this a 50x50 size?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, tough question.

Kiss at the Hotel de Ville, Doisneau

and

Son of Man, Magritte

ReputationRep:
    here you go

http://www.angelsonline.biz/kittenavatar.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    here you go

http://www.angelsonline.biz/kittenavatar.gif
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Klimt.

I saw some gorgeous paintings in the Van Gogh Museum (not Van Gogh's though) but there were no postcards so I wrote down the names and they are nowhere to be found on the net. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    What were the names? My dad has a massive DVD archive of high-res artwork, perhaps I might find it in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Anything by Banksy.
    can you put up some pictures if you find any, i would like to see what they look like thank you

ReputationRep:
    i did banksy for one of my art projects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    What were the names? My dad has a massive DVD archive of high-res artwork, perhaps I might find it in there.
    What an offer! I have them written down on a postcard (I bought one to go back into the gallery and write down then ames of the pieces) and it's back at home so I won't be able to tell you until August!

ReputationRep:
    Hieronymus Bosch- The Garden of Earthly Delights

http://www.3dresearch.com/bosch/delight.html

ReputationRep:
    I have Bosch-esque nightmares

ReputationRep:
    van Gogh's 'Starry Night'

Also like work but Lichtenstein, Warhol and Kandinsky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shing_a_ding)
    Also like work but Lichtenstein, Warhol and Kandinsky
    But the thing is with their paintings I find I can say "Oh yes, how aesthetically pleasing", but I get no emotion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    But the thing is with their paintings I find I can say "Oh yes, how aesthetically pleasing", but I get no emotion.
    Yeah i get what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shing_a_ding)
    Yeah i get what you mean.
    But then again I don't get that with a lot of paintings anyway! And I never get that from out of a book - I need to see them "in the flesh" *excited about all the Italian galleries*

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, this sort of art is not something i can really appreciate.
    I mean its nice and all i suppose, but it doesn't mean too much to me, and i don't see why its valued so greatly.
    Nowadays most people can do equally good art on computers and stuff, but thats never appreciated in the same way, and the age of thses paintings, to me at least, gives no just cause for them to be thought of so highly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    To be honest, this sort of art is not something i can really appreciate.
    I mean its nice and all i suppose, but it doesn't mean too much to me, and i don't see why its valued so greatly.
    Nowadays most people can do equally good art on computers and stuff, but thats never appreciated in the same way, and the age of thses paintings, to me at least, gives no just cause for them to be thought of so highly.
    Call me old fashioned, but I judge whatever art on the way it makes me feel (how selfish, eh?) Some computer-generated pieces are good, but I don't have the same intensity of feeling as I get when seeing a piece and thinking of the labour that went into that ONE piece (and here I am looking at it, thinking about it, appreciating it).

Art is a personal thing and I think it's nice to share what we like and appreciate, even if we don't agree necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Call me old fashioned, but I judge whatever art on the way it makes me feel (how selfish, eh?) Some computer-generated pieces are good, but I don't have the same intensity of feeling as I get when seeing a piece and thinking of the labour that went into that ONE piece (and here I am looking at it, thinking about it, appreciating it).

Art is a personal thing and I think it's nice to share what we like and appreciate, even if we don't agree necessarily.
    No, if thats what appeals to you, how can it be selfish?
    Its merely a matter of how you see things.
    Art does not stir emotion in me, so i merely see it as something that looks good, which is why computer artwork appeals to me, because it looks in a way that i like, and thats what i believe that matters, in my opinion.

I could not list my favourite art, simply because its not memorable to me, and if i did, it would certainly not be well known stuff.
    I know i'm contradicting myself here, but there is some art i do get feeling from, and that's usually because of the way i feel at the time, and the art represents that. But i don't think its the art itself that causes the emotion, rather than it gives a representation of what is already there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't personally have a favourite piece, but there are certain styles that I like, although it's mainly surrealism. I can't stand modern art, or should I say modern "art"? :rolleyes:
    I like something which requires skill, like fine art, something where an idea has obviously been developed, or time taken to create the atmosphere and the amount of detail that is involved. Something that looks real, or incredibly detailed/clever.

Something like one of the attachments.

EDIT: You can't see them very well... Ah well.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.