What is your favourite piece of artwork? Watch

This discussion is closed.
K8.H.UK
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Very hard question...i suppose the 'Pieta' by michelangelo
i'd love to see itone day and not just in a book....
i can never decide which takes more skill, painting or sculpting?..lol. i recon painting takes a lot of skill, but to scupt something realist takes bloody genius...what does everyone else think?
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by K8.H.UK)
Very hard question...i suppose the 'Pieta' by michelangelo
i'd love to see itone day and not just in a book....
i can never decide which takes more skill, painting or sculpting?..lol. i recon painting takes a lot of skill, but to scupt something realist takes bloody genius...what does everyone else think?
yes ..the david is just amazing.. i mean, what happens if your chisel slips and you lose the nose!!
Perdurabo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dali - Christ of St. John on the cross.

Cracking artist, cracking painting.
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
TRACEY EMIN... love her so much.
Particularly the monoprints and the quilts... i feel so in touch with all of it.
Perdurabo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't want to get into a debate about this, I mean, each to their own and all, but how on earth is Tracey Emin talented in any way?

She produces naff pieces of what is basically complete shite.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I like Tracy Emin as well, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, I resent that people resort to using base words to retort.

Ive always had an afinity for Deigo Velasquez and this painting Las Meninas, 1656-57.
Attached files
Chiaussieuk
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
It's nice to see there are other Magritte 'fans' on this forum. Also, that others share my love of surrealism. Who went to the surrealism exhibit at the Tate Modern a few summers ago? (The exhibit's name is escaping me at the moment...)

My fav. Magritte is one called 'The Kiss.'

I also love Kandinsky's work. I have a huge framed print of 'St.George I' that I've had since I was about 15 and never want to part with!

Anyone familiar with Christian Schad (German early 20thC) ? I have a poster from an exhibition at UofC that I adore, but I don't really know anything about him as an artist.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Stuff by Katharina Fritsch. If you haven't seen any of her stuff then do a google search. Also check out this one by her. http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v7/...01-1079-F1.jpg

MB
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Call me old fashioned, but I judge whatever art on the way it makes me feel (how selfish, eh?) Some computer-generated pieces are good, but I don't have the same intensity of feeling as I get when seeing a piece and thinking of the labour that went into that ONE piece (and here I am looking at it, thinking about it, appreciating it).

Art is a personal thing and I think it's nice to share what we like and appreciate, even if we don't agree necessarily.

There is a contradiction in what you are saying. You start by saying that you judge the art on how it makes you feel and then try and justify it by discussing what you know of its production (the labour that went into producing it). If you didn't know how each piece was produced would you feel the same way towards them. This is an important point in aesthetics as there is a lot of argument between theorists who believe in purely emotional responses and those who see a more sociological response. These days the former is rather looked down on for good reason.

MB
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (145)
45.74%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.26%

Watched Threads