Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My college messed up my exam... how do I complain? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had a media studies (OCR) exam today, and because of watching the film extract, we had a TV in the room. The TV was reflecting the sunlight coming through the windows making it impossible to see anything on the screen. So the invigilator (who hadn't given out the exam paper before we started because he didn't think he had to even tho it tells us what is required as we took notes from the film) decided to put the TV at the other end of the room, and push us in any random order to see the screen. Anyone could have copied my notes from the way we were sitting. It took us 2.5 hours to do a 2 hour exam because of a lack of common sense.

Anyone know if I have a right to complain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I had a media studies (OCR) exam today, and because of watching the film extract, we had a TV in the room. The TV was reflecting the sunlight coming through the windows making it impossible to see anything on the screen. So the invigilator (who hadn't given out the exam paper before we started because he didn't think he had to even tho it tells us what is required as we took notes from the film) decided to put the TV at the other end of the room, and push us in any random order to see the screen. Anyone could have copied my notes from the way we were sitting. It took us 2.5 hours to do a 2 hour exam because of a lack of common sense.

Anyone know if I have a right to complain?
    Yes, I'm sure you do. I don't know what would be the best way to approach it though, but if I were you I-d contact OCR immediately.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds absolutely awful. I'm not sure how to deal with a sit like that.

ReputationRep:
    I was so confident about this exam too. In all of my mocks I've got A's and have worked hard for them. I think I've probably done fairly badly cause I was distracted all the way through.

Anyone know how to contact an exam board?

Thanks for your comments

ReputationRep:
    www.ocr.org.uk

Probably have a contact us feature and do it first thing in the morning. I would enquire initialy by phone, and follow it up by letter on their advice. Also ask the other candidates to put in a complaint. Could even speak to your headmaster - but don't get talked out of complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    www.ocr.org.uk

Probably have a contact us feature and do it first thing in the morning. I would enquire initialy by phone, and follow it up by letter on their advice. Also ask the other candidates to put in a complaint. Could even speak to your headmaster - but don't get talked out of complaining.
    You're probably best complaining both in school and directly to the exam board... definitely worth complaining about tho :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i heard last year that only an examining centre can complain, i don't know how true this is, or whether it's just one of those myths. maybe go and see the examinations officer at your school (maybe with a few other people who did the exam) and ask what you do about complaints procedures.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i heard last year that only an examining centre can complain, i don't know how true this is, or whether it's just one of those myths. maybe go and see the examinations officer at your school (maybe with a few other people who did the exam) and ask what you do about complaints procedures.

lou xxx
    There should also be a complaints procedure section on the exam board's website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)

lou xxx
    May be true. But would they complain about their own failures?

ReputationRep:
    if you lodge a complaint with them they are probably obliged to follow it up, they will be a formal complaints procedure. if they refuse to do anything then get onto the board yourself/get your parents to write a snotty letter to the head demanding some kind of action.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    They do have to (well should :rolleyes: ) report any problems themselves

ReputationRep:
    seriously, you should bypass the school, they will try and cover it up and pacify you.

also make sure that u rnt alone in the complaint; get as many other people to complain; if u cant i would 4get it, as the skool will deny it and if no1 backs u up ur on ur own, which is nasty :eek:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.