standardised results Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mikan18
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
How often does this happen? I did my S1 exam today, my teacher said to go slowly, because even if you did run out of time, the results get standardised.
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well of course they do, they are all converted to UMS. Why that means you should slow down, I have no idea! Was she drunk?
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mikan18)
How often does this happen? I did my S1 exam today, my teacher said to go slowly, because even if you did run out of time, the results get standardised.
The examiners dont take into account if you finished the paper or not otherwise everyone would do the 1st question - get 100% and then have a sleep for the rest of the exam
blackzombies
Report 14 years ago
how do the percentages get converted to ums?
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They're not. Raw marks are converted to UMS by a common multiplier. This multiplier is decided by the exam board so they get the desired amount of As, Bs, Cs, etc.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by savvy10)
They're not. Raw marks are converted to UMS by a common multiplier. This multiplier is decided by the exam board so they get the desired amount of As, Bs, Cs, etc.
I was always under the impression that they were "standardised" by literally standardising to a normal curve (see stats 1 at A-level). Or am I having a brainstorm?
Mysticmin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
I was always under the impression that they were "standardised" by literally standardising to a normal curve (see stats 1 at A-level). Or am I having a brainstorm?
I thought they were standardised using the normal distribution model too. I mentioned that in physics class one day and my physics teacher nearly blew a fuse. I concluded that they were not...
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope, I think that's far too complicated for exam boards! They have trouble allocating correct marks in the first place! If it was standardised to a ND, then there wouldn't be a linear relationship between the UMS and the raw mark. It would also mean that marks would not be evenly distributed within the group.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
there isnt a linear relationship.....
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
I am pretty sure the relationship is not completely linear however I doubt it is a normal distribution..

if it were, surely you would get few A's and U's and much more frequent in-between grades? when it seems that - at least for A's there are usually 20-25% A's (but varies across subjects. havent checked it recently)

unless I am mistaking what you mean.

rosie
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It most certainly is linear, as there is a way of working out your UMS from the raw mark using fractions. All you need are the raw mark grade boundaries.
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
It most certainly is linear, as there is a way of working out your UMS from the raw mark using fractions. All you need are the raw mark grade boundaries.
ah right
does it say this anywhere ? I am just curious to know. rosie.
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tbh, I don't know. There's bound to be something about it on either the exam boards' websites, or the QCA website.
danii17
Report 14 years ago
Well of course they do, they are all converted to UMS. Why that means you should slow down, I have no idea! Was she drunk?
what the flip is UMS????
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
Tbh, I don't know. There's bound to be something about it on either the exam boards' websites, or the QCA website.
ah yes this does seem to be what you say:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/do...rstand/ums.jsp
danii17
Report 14 years ago
someone tell me what UMS is pleeez coz my teacher what chatting about it to me the other day and i was like yeeeeah i dont really care but if it determines ur grade i do care, someone explain it plz xx
caius
Report 14 years ago
It is ONE big conspiracy..

The real person who decides it is Tony Blair, while he sits on the toilet.
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by danii17)
someone tell me what UMS is pleeez coz my teacher what chatting about it to me the other day and i was like yeeeeah i dont really care but if it determines ur grade i do care, someone explain it plz xx
look at the link i just posted

rosie
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana)
look at the link i just posted

rosie
i love that link
Mysticmin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah I see why we thougth it was a normal distribution. The normal distribution corresponds to the individual UMS marks obtained by the number of candidates. duh :rolleyes: Silly me.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (475)
91.52%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (44)
8.48%

Watched Threads