Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

standardised results watch

Announcements

(Original post by chats)
    i love that link
    check how the girl got an A and the boy got the B.......dilemmas dilemmas......in this world where there's the whole "ooooo boys are failing at school thing".....you don't want to have the boy getting the worse mark.....but then you don't want to be "sexist" by making the girl worse..

ahh its like the good old GCSE maths questions. Promoting racial equality by the sensitive use of names from different ethnic groups... (however they never had a Chardonnay, an Apple, or a Peaches Fifi Trixibelle doing the surveys on cars!)

rsie

ReputationRep:
    Okie, so how is an overall grade calculated where the Unit Paper has the same number of marks as the Unit itself? Eg. OCR Chemistry A2 Units 4 (90), 5 (90) and 6 (120) = 300, where each respective paper has a total of 90, 90 and 120 (Trends + Patterns, Unifying Concepts, Option Module + Coursework/Assessed practical)? Are the raw marks therefore standardised, or taken as they are, seeing as there really is no need to convert them to a uniform mark?

(Original post by mongoose)
    Okie, so how is an overall grade calculated where the Unit Paper has the same number of marks as the Unit itself? Eg. OCR Chemistry A2 Units 4 (90), 5 (90) and 6 (120) = 300, where each respective paper has a total of 90, 90 and 120 (Trends + Patterns, Unifying Concepts, Option Module + Coursework/Assessed practical)? Are the raw marks therefore standardised, or taken as they are, seeing as there really is no need to convert them to a uniform mark?
    no, there is still a need to convert them into a uniform mark.

The uniform marking serves to correct for easier/harder papers - that is why it changes every year.

so you may have got:

Raw: 100/120

UMS: 115/120

or whatever

then they just add them up to get the overall mark out of 300
    rosie

ReputationRep:
    But as far as i remember when i requested an AS unit raw mark it was only scaled up based as it had to be ut of 90 rather than 66, nothing else happened.... :confused:

(Original post by zazy)
    But as far as i remember when i requested an AS unit raw mark it was only scaled up based as it had to be ut of 90 rather than 66, nothing else happened.... :confused:
    it *could* be that for that paper, it was judged that 80% raw ==> 80% UMS, but this is not the same for all papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    it *could* be that for that paper, it was judged that 80% raw ==> 80% UMS, but this is not the same for all papers.
    What i was trying to say was that all my subjects are with AQA and my teachers normally tell me my raw marks and they are only scalwed up based upon the percentage...

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter who your exam board is, everybody uses UMS! Your school might only calculate them like that, though I doubt it, but the exam board certainly don't! Are you sure you know the distinction between raw marks and UMS? The exam boards only tell you your UMS. The school gets told your raw marks, but the information on your statement of results is quoted in UMS.

(Original post by zazy)
    What i was trying to say was that all my subjects are with AQA and my teachers normally tell me my raw marks and they are only scalwed up based upon the percentage...
    oh right so it wasn't based on one AS unit as you said.

I find this very strange. Perhaps the "raw marks" they are telling you are actually like UMS's of the unit, which are then scaled again to give UMS's of the right total? No idea.

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    I think that sounds more likely Rosie. It's purely illogical to use raw marks for such a purpose.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.