Temporal resolution - what is it?

Watch
username459260
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It is unclear what is meant by temporal resolution in the context of imaging (medical imaging). If something has a temporal resolution of 100ms does this mean it can only take an image every 100ms or does it mean that the image is taken over a period of 100ms?
Thanks
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jsmith6131)
It is unclear what is meant by temporal resolution in the context of imaging (medical imaging). If something has a temporal resolution of 100ms does this mean it can only take an image every 100ms or does it mean that the image is taken over a period of 100ms?
Thanks
In general, temporal resolution refers to the ability of a system to distinguish between two different points in time, just as spatial resolution refers to the ability to distinguish between two points in space.

So when it is said that the temporal resolution of a device is 100ms, then it means that you can reliably distinguish events that are 100ms apart. What it doesn't tell you is why there is this restriction! In medical imaging there are a number of possibilities. For example, the transducer itself may take 100ms to collect the image; the data bus speed may only support the transfer of one image every 100ms; data storage may limit the total amount of information to be collected.
username459260
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Gregorius)
In general, temporal resolution refers to the ability of a system to distinguish between two different points in time, just as spatial resolution refers to the ability to distinguish between two points in space.

So when it is said that the temporal resolution of a device is 100ms, then it means that you can reliably distinguish events that are 100ms apart. What it doesn't tell you is why there is this restriction! In medical imaging there are a number of possibilities. For example, the transducer itself may take 100ms to collect the image; the data bus speed may only support the transfer of one image every 100ms; data storage may limit the total amount of information to be collected.
Thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads