The Student Room Group

how to tell if a function is defined?

Hi guys

how do you tell if a function is defined for all values of x and which y functions are defined

eg y = e^-x
Reply 1
Original post by madmadmax321
Hi guys

how do you tell if a function is defined for all values of x and which y functions are defined

eg y = e^-x

Depends on the function, you need to make sure you're not taking the square root of a complex number (for a real valued function), you need to make sure you're not dividing by 0, that you're not taking the logarithm of a non-positive number, etc...
(This is strictly A-Level stuff, generally a function is defined with its domain given already)

So, for example: If you had ln(x+1)\ln (x+1) then you know that you always need x+1>0    x>1x+1 > 0 \implies x > -1, if you had 1x+3\frac{1}{x+3} then you know you need x+30    x3x+3 \neq 0 \implies x \neq -3.

If you had 5x+2\sqrt{5x+2} then you know that 5x+20    x255x + 2\geq 0 \implies x \geq -\frac{2}{5}, etc...

For the example you've given, it's defined for all real x because no problems would be caused by any value of x, there wouldn't be any square rooting of negative number, logarithms of negative numbers, divisions by 0, etc...
Reply 2
Hi guys

eg y = e^-x

Depends on the structure of the function

you may not divide by zero
arguments of radicals must be non negative
arguments of logarithms must be positive
base of logarithms must be positive and must not be one
bases of exponentials must be non negative
arguments of arcsin, arccos must be between -1 and 1 inclusive
etc
Original post by Zacken
Depends on the function, you need to make sure you're not taking the square root of a complex number (for a real valued function), you need to make sure you're not dividing by 0, that you're not taking the logarithm of a non-positive number, etc...
(This is strictly A-Level stuff, generally a function is defined with its domain given already)

So, for example: If you had ln(x+1)\ln (x+1) then you know that you always need x+1>0    x>1x+1 > 0 \implies x > -1, if you had 1x+3\frac{1}{x+3} then you know you need x+30    x3x+3 \neq 0 \implies x \neq -3.

If you had 5x+2\sqrt{5x+2} then you know that 5x+20    x255x + 2\geq 0 \implies x \geq -\frac{2}{5}, etc...

For the example you've given, it's defined for all real x because no problems would be caused by any value of x, there wouldn't be any square rooting of negative number, logarithms of negative numbers, divisions by 0, etc...

Thank you for the reply!

I think I understand

so for (x^2)/(x^2+1) x would always be defined but for 1/-sqrt(1-x^2) they would not
Original post by Zacken

Also when the question says 'for which y are the functions defined (real values of y)?

does that mean are they possible in positive or negative y?
Look in the dictionary :p:
Reply 6
Thank you for the reply!

I think I understand

so for (x^2)/(x^2+1) x would always be defined but for 1/-sqrt(1-x^2) they would not

A function can be defined for a certain value of x and not defined for other values.

The first example you gave will be defined for every value of x.

The second example will defined everywhere except where x1x \geq 1, at that point, the function is not defined because you are dividing by 0 for x=1 and and you are square rooting a negative number for x > 1, both now allowed. So you can say that the function is defined for x<1x < 1.
Original post by Zacken
A function can be defined for a certain value of x and not defined for other values.

The first example you gave will be defined for every value of x.

The second example will defined everywhere except where x1x \geq 1, at that point, the function is not defined because you are dividing by 0 for x=1 and and you are square rooting a negative number for x > 1, both now allowed. So you can say that the function is defined for x<1x < 1.

Sorry I meant it wouldn't be defined for all values of x
Reply 8
Sorry I meant it wouldn't be defined for all values of x

Saying that is not enough, you should state for what values of x it is defined for.

Otherwise, it's like solving an equation and writing the answer as "it's not all the numbers, just a few." - you need to give the exact range of values for which the function is defined, just like you give the exact numbers that are solutions to an equation.
Original post by Zacken
Saying that is not enough, you should state for what values of x it is defined for.

Otherwise, it's like solving an equation and writing the answer as "it's not all the numbers, just a few." - you need to give the exact range of values for which the function is defined, just like you give the exact numbers that are solutions to an equation.

so I need to state it even if the question is just asking 'is the function defined for all values of x?'

note I am not doing A-level maths, it was a part of my foundation year lectures that I missed
Reply 10
so I need to state it even if the question is just asking 'is the function defined for all values of x?'

note I am not doing A-level maths, it was a part of my foundation year lectures that I missed

Ah, okay - in that case, no. it's fine to just say no!

Quick Reply

Latest