The Student Room Group

Muslims and Non-Muslims: What do you think of Zakir Naik?

I personally think he's unfair towards women, non-muslims and just has a very close minded view on everything. I also feel as though the Islam he preaches is not moderate nor a real interpretation of Islam. As someone who's Jewish I personally felt incredibly offended by one of his answers regarding how muslims should behave with Jews and he said you have to "be careful" with them. Although I'm not muslim nor do I have anyone in my family who is, I am an Islamophile and I have interacted with an Islamic scholar who is also Research Fellow for Islamic Studies at Oxford and honestly Zakirs version seems so far from Classical Islam which I would argue is closer to the Islam the Prophet preached.

This thread has been made for discussing Zakir Naik and what he preaches rather than attacking Islam or 'criticising' Islam. If that's what you want to just don't post anything at all as you will be reported. Please be respectful in your comments.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Too long. Didn't read.

Off topic but you're tsr user that William Walker person is obsessed with right?
Reply 2
Original post by AzimH
Too long. Didn't read.

Off topic but you're tsr user that William Walker person is obsessed with right?

Yup. Why?
Reply 3
I agree, he doesn't portray the real Islam which is quite saddening since Islam teaches to love and respect all whether Jewish or any other religion. He does preach incorrect things
Original post by hilrho
Yup. Why?

This post sums him up in a fair manner, you might like a read - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2733312&p=48504167#post48504167 .

I personally think he does a good job doing dawah but he says iffy things sometimes. Wouldn't go to him for religious knowledge.
Reply 5
Lol yeah some of his facts regarding religion and some of his opinions need a rethink if he thinks its according to Islam
Reply 6
Original post by croc4
I agree, he doesn't portray the real Islam which is quite saddening since Islam teaches to love and respect all whether Jewish or any other religion. He does preach incorrect things

I agree, Islam preaches love and respect regardless of religious belief. And the reason I'm honestly worried about Zakir Naik and the light everyone seems to see him in is because he IS looked upon as a source of religious knowledge by millions (or maybe hundreds of thousands, not sure) that follow his sayings blindly. And so for that reason people could be encouraged to do not so nice things because they think they're following islam when they are only just following Naik (which correct me if I'm wrong would be considered Shirk). Curious - are you a muslim?

Original post by IdeasForLife
This post sums him up in a fair manner, you might like a read - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2733312&p=48504167#post48504167 .

I personally think he does a good job doing dawah but he says iffy things sometimes. Wouldn't go to him for religious knowledge.

Yeah I agree, that post does sum him up pretty well. However as I stated earlier, and as it is stated in the post you linked above - it worries me, of the influence he has on people.
he is pretty knowledgable and good from what i've seen

may Allah grant him jannah for his efforts
Reply 8
His memorization skills are impressive, but there are some things he says which are not completely true, and Islamically incorrect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I've watched some short clips of him and he is one funny guy :rofl: I don't know anything about his religious knowledge though :K: I watch his videos for the comedy factor more than anything :getmecoat:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by hilrho
Yup. Why?

Lol no particular reason. I see your username get mentioned and pop up a lot in threads.
Original post by hilrho

Yeah I agree, that post does sum him up pretty well. However as I stated earlier, and as it is stated in the post you linked above - it worries me, of the influence he has on people.

I wouldn't really worry. There are far worse problems which Muslims need to sort out.
Original post by hilrho
I agree, Islam preaches love and respect regardless of religious belief.

While I do agree that he's a charlatan and a narcissist, this is completely wrong. That's a very romantic view of Islam that you just expressed.

It's much like Catholics who say that their religion preaches love and respect regardless of religious belief and then forget to mention that the Jewish people were held collectively guilty for the crime of deicide (i.e. god-killing) by the Church and condemned for this reason until 1964. No, that's not a typo: it really was 1964. :tongue: So much for love and respect regardless of religion.
Reply 13
You have a fair share of knowledge on Islam, I'm happy to hear that you hold this much respect for it. Yes I couldn't agree more people are just believing what they are being told instead of actually logically thinking about it. Yes I am a Muslim
Reply 14
He's good at text torturing.

The only skill people like this have is ability to memorise specific verses from scriptures of Hinduism Christianity, Judaism etc. and then selectively using these chapter and verse quotes to undermine these religions in favour of his religion.

One example is that he often uses a particular book of Hinduism (Bhavishya Purana) to try and convince people that it's talking about the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

As said, the only skill such people possess is the skill of text-torturing.
Original post by hilrho
I personally think he's unfair towards women, non-muslims and just has a very close minded view on everything. I also feel as though the Islam he preaches is not moderate nor a real interpretation of Islam. As someone who's Jewish I personally felt incredibly offended by one of his answers regarding how muslims should behave with Jews and he said you have to "be careful" with them. Although I'm not muslim nor do I have anyone in my family who is, I am an Islamophile and I have interacted with an Islamic scholar who is also Research Fellow for Islamic Studies at Oxford and honestly Zakirs version seems so far from Classical Islam which I would argue is closer to the Islam the Prophet preached.

This thread has been made for discussing Zakir Naik and what he preaches rather than attacking Islam or 'criticising' Islam. If that's what you want to just don't post anything at all as you will be reported. Please be respectful in your comments.

I really, really dislike him. First of all, he uses the honourific 'May god be pleased with him' for Yazeed ibn Mu'awiyah, who slaughtered most of Muhammad's family and his remaining friends during the current month of Muharram ~1400 years ago, and secondly his stance towards non muslims is abhorrent - saying that in an islamic state they wouldn't be allowed to express their religious beliefs outwardly, possess places of worship, or preach. Thirdly, his arguments against clear scientific theories use blatant misunderstandings (or perhaps purposeful misinformation) such as his arguments against evolution.

Oh! And he also tries to make himself look smart when he quotes the books of other religions. Sometimes he quotes hindu books and completely... Well, actually he misquotes them or invents references that don't exist.
Salafi
Antisemite
Liar
Charlatan
He also preaches hatred of Hindus
Never liked him as an Islamic speaker, too shouty and forceful; prefer Nouman Ali Khan and Mufti Ismail Menk. Love Yasmin Mogahed too!
Original post by The Rad Prince
Salafi
Antisemite
Liar
Charlatan
He also preaches hatred of Hindus

Yo Radical One, that you?
I agree on what you are saying. My mum stopped watching him too, because there are some things in which he says the opposite to Islam. I am not sure what but my mum said avoid watching him. Try watching Mufti Menk lectures, they are amazing :smile:

Original post by hilrho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending