11NSHERIN
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How do get A* in maths as I totally love maths and want to do maths in a-levels or further maths.
RoseWilson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lots of past papers- start early! and if there is anything you don't understand use websites like mymaths and ask questions!
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 11NSHERIN)
How do get A* in maths as I totally love maths and want to do maths in a-levels or further maths.
Every single past paper from Edexcel, OCR, AQA, WJEC and CCEA between now and the day of your exams.

However they will only be beneficial if you know the stuff first so use youtube and class to consolidate.
Dizgurl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you really love maths and you practice loads of past papers, then you'll get the A*
Patrick2810
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To learn the content use hegartymaths/other youtube channels like jayates and to practise use past papers
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Every single past paper from Edexcel, OCR, AQA, WJEC and CCEA between now and the day of your exams.

However they will only be beneficial if you know the stuff first so use youtube and class to consolidate.
totally agree , listen to jamestg

also mathswatch is also really good as it has every topic on and goes through it all
youreanutter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
scraped a C in november last year in maths and was gutted because i knew i was much better than that and knew i was good at maths as i was abit arrogant but knew i was better than most of thos who beat me so the i startedusing mathswatch which was absolutely AMAZING cant emphasise it enough whcih i used to finish and relearn syllabus uptill february then after that i didabout 3/4past papers a weel consistently and got an A* with 95% and now doing further maths a level
11NSHERIN
Rep:
?

Oh thank you I loved your advice as I always use exam papers but you know you said every paper from different exam board but I do edexcel maths only so would it matter or would it be okay if I did exam papers dfrom different exam boards even though I do not study it?
linnig1rl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Past papers. Do LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of them. The more you do, the more you'll get a hang of answering the questions! But make sure you know the theory and how to do the calculations fluently - I'd say do questions by topics ( the ones you don't know very well), then do past paper questions. Maybe get a tutor or something if you want extra help.
11NSHERIN
Rep:
?
(Original post by youreanutter)
scraped a C in november last year in maths and was gutted because i knew i was much better than that and knew i was good at maths as i was abit arrogant but knew i was better than most of thos who beat me so the i startedusing mathswatch which was absolutely AMAZING cant emphasise it enough whcih i used to finish and relearn syllabus uptill february then after that i didabout 3/4past papers a weel consistently and got an A* with 95% and now doing further maths a level
Wow that is soooo good, Is further maths hard? What topics do you learn?
Little_Tigger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do 10 years of past papers, that way you cover nearly everything. Also make sure you understand everything you do and never leave anything to the last minute.
elena2710
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As every one else has said, DO PAST PAPERS. There is no point making notes for maths, you learn by actually doing the methods and there are only so many questions that the exam board can ask you.

For me personally, after I did every past paper, I'd go back through it and completely re-do every question I had got wrong so I'd know how to answer that kind of question if it came up again. Then, once I had fished all the papers, I went back and did every exam again as I couldn't remember the answers or the questions, so it was just like doing a fresh paper.

If you work hard, it will be easy to achieve an A*, and you loving the subject will definitely help- good luck!
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh thank you I loved your advice as I always use exam papers but you know you said every paper from different exam board but I do edexcel maths only so would it matter or would it be okay if I did exam papers dfrom different exam boards even though I do not study it?
No it won't matter.

All GCSE maths specifications have to cover a set of content that is the same, however there are a few extras thrown in by each exam board. Generally doing different exam boards is very good because questions are worded in different ways and by doing many different ways, it will give you a solid ground for pretty much any GCSE maths question!
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by elena2710)
As every one else has said, DO PAST PAPERS. There is no point making notes for maths, you learn by actually doing the methods and there are only so many questions that the exam board can ask you.

For me personally, after I did every past paper, I'd go back through it and completely re-do every question I had got wrong so I'd know how to answer that kind of question if it came up again. Then, once I had fished all the papers, I went back and did every exam again as I couldn't remember the answers or the questions, so it was just like doing a fresh paper.

If you work hard, it will be easy to achieve an A*, and you loving the subject will definitely help- good luck!
Notes are good for maths for topics like circle theorems and graph transformations though! Maybe even bits of trigonometry?...
Zzzyax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just do all the past papers. and work your weak pionts, then seek teachers assistance if you need to
elena2710
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Notes are good for maths for topics like circle theorems and graph transformations though! Maybe even bits of trigonometry?...

Yes I agree- notes are good for memorising theorems and equations.

Having said that however, I think to get confident with the method and topic, you need to actually practise the questions, not just write about it?
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by elena2710)
Yes I agree- notes are good for memorising theorems and equations.

Having said that however, I think to get confident with the method and topic, you need to actually practise the questions, not just write about it?
Yeah! Of course practice lol but you can't practice if you have no idea what you're doing.
Heffalump .
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Literally it's just past papers thats it, thats what I did anyway and it worked for me
elena2710
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah! Of course practice lol but you can't practice if you have no idea what you're doing.
yeah you've got point haha
devilrhino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
PAST PAPERS, PAST PAPERS, PAST PAPERS. Maths, especially GCSE is totally reliant on them in order for students to achieve the top grades. The more you do, the better you will do simple as. START EARLY!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate