Phunky_Phresh™
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hamlet and Wuthering Heights are my two compulsory texts this year, and I've chosen Canterbury Tales as my additional third text. I'm looking at using something along the lines of fall of a male protagonist/fall from grace (suggested by a teacher familiar with the book) as the theme of my essay, though admittedly with some problems comparing CT to the other two.

Note: I haven't read it with an actual theme in mind yet, only before-hand in my own time, so obviously I may be missing some things

Can anybody suggest any alternative themes common among the three texts, or offer any help with my prospective theme? Or perhaps just some comparisons between the texts.

Thanks.
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Phunky_Phresh™)
Hamlet and Wuthering Heights are my two compulsory texts this year, and I've chosen Canterbury Tales as my additional third text. I'm looking at using something along the lines of fall of a male protagonist/fall from grace (suggested by a teacher familiar with the book) as the theme of my essay, though admittedly with some problems comparing CT to the other two.

Note: I haven't read it with an actual theme in mind yet, only before-hand in my own time, so obviously I may be missing some things

Can anybody suggest any alternative themes common among the three texts, or offer any help with my prospective theme? Or perhaps just some comparisons between the texts.

Thanks.
I'm not sure about the other texts, but I did Wuthering Heights for my coursework this year. I didn't actually do a theme, but here are all the aspects of Wuthering Heights that I can think of:

Violence,
Tragedy,
Grace,
Power,
Revenge,
Love,
Dystopia,
Evil,
Life + Regeneration,
The Gothic,
Supernatural,
Family,
Relationships,
Marginalisation,
Human weakness.

Phunky_Phresh™
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I can take the fall of a male protagonist theme and apply it to Heathcliff obviously, and certainly Hamlet too since they both share a few similar characteristics and end up coming to similar fates - just having issues really focusing in on characters in Canterbury Tales (The Miller's Tale, really funny read by the way) since there's 3 male protagonist characters and it'd be a little much to talk about all 3 in some detail! Especially with it being actually quite short

Thanks, though! I'll certainly take in mind all of the other themes/aspects of the book when writing about Wuthering Heights, especially ones like all of the Gothic since it applies to Heathcliff so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.37%
I don't have everything I need (308)
43.63%

Watched Threads