German Christmas Markets getting there Watch

lipsticklover
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hiya everyone,

I'm going to Dortmund Germany, I was wondering has anyone been and is there different ways how to get there I have researched flights and there about £200+ and many airports near me such as Liverpool and Manchester don't fly there.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not just go to the Christmas German market in Manchester?
Topdeck Travel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lipsticklover)
Hiya everyone,

I'm going to Dortmund Germany, I was wondering has anyone been and is there different ways how to get there I have researched flights and there about £200+ and many airports near me such as Liverpool and Manchester don't fly there.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Hi,

Going to a European city during winter time is one of the best ways to really experience the festive atmosphere, especially if you’re planning on going to Christmas markets. However at times trying to get to these cities can be trickier than you think, especially if you’re not flying from London.

Flying is likely to be the quickest and easiest way of getting to Germany, unfortunately the only city that flies to Dortmund from the UK is London so you have a few options. Firstly, you could catch a train down to London and fly from there, by booking your train in advance, it’s usually not too pricey and you can get return flights for around £130 with the budget airlines. Otherwise, another option is to fly from Manchester direct to Dusseldorf for around £140.

Dusseldorf is only 70km away from Dortmund, so you could catch a train which takes under an hour for about £15. The train service in Germany is incredible and extremely punctual, also most train guards speak some English so they are usually quite helpful and can point you in the right direction if you want to buy your ticket on the day. Otherwise, there are plenty of easy-to-navigate websites which you could book your train in advance.

If you’re not dead set on going to Dortmund but really want to experience the Christmas atmosphere in Germany, some of the best Christmas markets in Germany occur in several other cities which you can fly to from Manchester. You can get to Berlin for approximately £160, Cologne for £190, Stuttgart for £90 and Munich for £140 all with budget airlines from Manchester airport. Each city has a different pulling factor at Christmas time where Stuttgart is tipped to have one of the most beautiful markets in Europe, Munich has an extremely diverse and international set of entertainments and stalls whilst Cologne’s markets offer an impressive architecturally Gothic backdrop.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Polly
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want a cheaper adventure (and have a travel pillow) you can go by bus http://www.eurolines.co.uk/destinations/Germany

One summer I took the bus from London to Prague - that was a fun 24 hours of chatting to other backpackers, uncomfortable sleep and driving through the European countryside. Highly recommended if you've got a bit of an adventurous streak!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads