The Student Room Group

Feeling overwhelmed with university work already

Hi

I've had 2 weeks of lectures and I just feel overwhelmed with work from university. I have a busy timetable, with lectures everyday and I am struggling to find time to do all the work set and understand lecture material, as well as maintain a social life.

In most lectures I don't understand/take in fully what the lecturer is saying until I go home and read through the notes and search the internet, and sometimes this can be very time consuming. I never know whether I have learnt it enough because unlike A Level I can't look at past exam questions which stresses me out further.

I'm also getting really stressed about completing assignments that are not in for 2 months because with this much reading and other work to do, I honestly don't know how I will find the time to do them.

Does anyone have any advice - like how do you study?
Reply 1
You could make a start by not wasting time on TSR... lol jk
I think you maybe have some concentration problems? You mentioned not understanding your lecturer. I would suggest a good night's sleep(or coffee). As for what you've missed, Youtube is your friend!

Prioritize with regards to deadlines

Decide in advance what you plan to read / learn

Ensure you stick to your promises.

Pretty much. I don't have any magic hacks. Good luck.
Original post by gb1324
Hi

I've had 2 weeks of lectures and I just feel overwhelmed with work from university. I have a busy timetable, with lectures everyday and I am struggling to find time to do all the work set and understand lecture material, as well as maintain a social life.

In most lectures I don't understand/take in fully what the lecturer is saying until I go home and read through the notes and search the internet, and sometimes this can be very time consuming. I never know whether I have learnt it enough because unlike A Level I can't look at past exam questions which stresses me out further.

I'm also getting really stressed about completing assignments that are not in for 2 months because with this much reading and other work to do, I honestly don't know how I will find the time to do them.

It's about working efficiently and prioritising. As far as reading goes, you don't need to read everything, just a couple of items from each reading list and even then not the whole thing, just whatever is most relevant to what you are studying- so if you were looking at the causes of WW2, you don't need to read a whole book on the history of WW2.
Original post by gb1324
Hi

Lots of to do lists and planners; I break everything down into small chunks (then write a to do list for that day/ for a few days if I'm off) and have a weekly planner with all the reading/directed study I need to do that week and a term planner with deadlines on my wall so I know what I ve got coming up in the next few weeks.
For me its all about planning and keeping note off everything you need to do and just being realistic with myself really as I know that 4 hours studying in a row just isn't doable for me
So when planning any uni work just be honest and realistic and make sure you give yourself some time off each week.

Are the lectures themselves available prior to the lecture be it on virtual learning or is there a topics list in your module handbook so you've a basic idea what you'll do in each lecture?
I find it helps massively for me just to read what's on the lecture slides prior to having the lecture (especially as I m a slow reader so trying to read the slide whilst the lecturers talking isnt good for my learning) where possible so I at least recognise some of the words and can then do a brief google so I dont start from square one on a topic when the lecture starts.

It's okay for it to feel overwhelming to begin with, just find your own system to organise yourself and don't be afraid to seek help. There can be plenty of support in university you just have to know where to look for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending