Using tablet for taking lecture notes?

Watch this thread
vedderfan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just looking for someone who has done or used to as I'm currently looking at buying a tablet that would mainly be used for studying. Does it work well or not taking notes in this way? Also I will most likely get a tablet that uses Android so any recommended apps for note taking would be appreciated
Louiseee_
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Appologies but in an iPad w*nker so can't help with the android part
I'm a fresher so im still trying to work out my own style of note taking, but I find my tablet a lot easier than an iPad. With the laptop, I have to carry this big heavy bag and charger across campus and even though it loads quick it's not as fast as the iPad. So with a tablet I can just put it in my bag which I find more convenient. I also bought a small, foldable Bluetooth keyboard for making notes, and I have an app which lets me annotate the power Point slides during lectures. I also prefer it because some tablets and apps will let you draw onto the slides
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't know what degree you are doing or plan to do but taking notes on a tablet will be distracting. If you can't write on paper then just listen to the lecturer and take the notes after the lecture (you get access to the lecture slides online).

Posted from TSR Mobile excuse my typos
Icicle Man
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I use an Nvidia Shield tablet to take notes for some of my lectures where I'm required to take copious amounts of notes because I have no idea what's going on (some people writing about 10 sides of paper in a 2hr session).

I think if you're going to do this then you've got to get the right tool for it, as the previous poster said it can be a pain and even a distraction. I wouldn't recommend a stylus as you lose a lot of accuracy and its like writing on paper with a felt tip. Get something like a Surface Pro or iPad Pro (dedicated pen) or even a Shield tablet (but can be a bit small). Its useful to save paper but can be a pain if you're going to look at the notes regularly as it gets hard to reference where you wrote stuff down.
Nothing beats pen and paper. But if you're jotting down loads which youre not sure if you're even going to use again. Then I definitely recommend you try it

Posted from TSR Mobile
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Nvidia shield is meant for gaming lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Icicle Man
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I like to live dangerously.
Its great for note taking too. Its just a great tablet tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What software do u use for note taking? Ever note or Microsoft onenote

Posted from TSR Mobile
Icicle Man
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Having tried both I actually prefer the preinstalled Nvidia "write" app. I think its the best one as although onenote is better organised and in sync and all, the write app has tonnes of customisation to paper and pen type and is much more minimalistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Try the new Microsoft Surface 4, it's a bit on the expensive side, but totally worth it. It is just a small tablet, but with full Windows on it, also keyboard is decent and you can write right on the screen with Microsoft pen. I just bought it recently as my first device on Windows and something that I can carry with me, but now I use it all the time and my desktop had no use..

Or you can buy Surface 3 if you are on tight budget. It does pretty much the same things
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (79)
66.39%
No (29)
24.37%
I didn't use it to prepare (11)
9.24%

Watched Threads