Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How was computing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else do the computing modules today? I'm sure some of you are still doing them right now if you had more than one I just had AQA CPT2 to do. Finished my exams now!

However, the exam paper was stupid. The questions were completely different from every single past paper we'd had previously, and the questions were badly worded and vague :mad: It was very hard to know what the question required, even though the contents and what to put down was easy and straight forward.

-=X=-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xulfer)
    Anyone else do the computing modules today? I'm sure some of you are still doing them right now if you had more than one I just had AQA CPT2 to do. Finished my exams now!

However, the exam paper was stupid. The questions were completely different from every single past paper we'd had previously, and the questions were badly worded and vague :mad: It was very hard to know what the question required, even though the contents and what to put down was easy and straight forward.

-=X=-
    comp1 easy not sure about the last question though

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt believe cpt2, there was no spreadsheet question!!!!

What did people put for that question on 2 methods for that government census thingy?

ReputationRep:
    That question was nice and vague too :rolleyes:

I just put about validation checks, e.g. type check, format check etc. then the second part was some crap about employing someone to double check the input - I won't get any marks for that :rolleyes:

-=X=-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xulfer)

-=X=-
    I agree with you entirely. Wasn't 'hard' specifically, just 'awkward'. Some of the questions were so vague, it was difficult to know what they were looking for in an answer. Knew it would be though to be honest, because CPT2 is clearly an ICT paper disguised as a computing paper

Give a type of validation control that could be used for a boating holiday database or something like that That was just stupid given that it didn't give you any table and field definitions

Also, that internet banking stuff I thought was slightly unfair. I've never used internet banking before, so I had a disadvantage because I don't know the features or fully know what advantages and benifits it can give to the user that a 'high street' bank wouldn't provide.

Also, the question about what text formatting was applied to that star graphic was stupid. I put 'word wrap', and I'm not sure if it's correct, but I thought it was a really stupid question considering you'd have to be familiar with that feature (of a word processing package that uses it) to understand it. Not that I mind this, but it was hardly taught to us. Do they expect you to know these things just because we are computing students?

Also, I understand that gif files are not classified as text files, and that HTML files are, but I thought it was an unfair question because not everybody will be familiar with HTML file formats or GIF file formats. They should of specified to be familiar with GIF and HTML. IMO that's as bad as a student using 'Windows' as a type of operating system, for example. Anybody who hasn't used HTML or GIFs will not have a clue, and that's not fair.

ReputationRep:
    I bet they asked about mail merge again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    was too many new definations in there as well which i hadnt revised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    Nope
    wow, first time they've missed that one.

standards must be slipping.

ReputationRep:
    Nope
    well that was kind of.....strange
    CPT1 was a breeze, i finished in about 40 mins, and most people seemed to be done within an hour.
    CPT2 on the other hand was juts wierd. i really don't know any other way to put it. it certainly wasn't difficult, but some of the questions were just hard to answer, if you know what i mean. i was quite disappointed that there was no QBE, becasue that's usually a big mark question, and i generally get all the marks.
    also wasn't exapecting a binary tree to come up in unit 1, but i just about remembered how to do it.
    all in all, not a bad day's work, and if all goes well i could get an A

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, one quesiton on Internet banking, part a) State two advantages of Internet Banking, part b) what can Internet banking offer that normal 'high street' banking can't, i couldnt really figure out part b :/ anyone put a respectable answer? mm.. yeh, I agree the exam was far too like ICT so vague and just not computing style.. hard to answer :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    well that was kind of.....strange
    CPT1 was a breeze, i finished in about 40 mins, and most people seemed to be done within an hour.
    CPT2 on the other hand was juts wierd. i really don't know any other way to put it. it certainly wasn't difficult, but some of the questions were just hard to answer, if you know what i mean. i was quite disappointed that there was no QBE, becasue that's usually a big mark question, and i generally get all the marks.
    also wasn't exapecting a binary tree to come up in unit 1, but i just about remembered how to do it.
    all in all, not a bad day's work, and if all goes well i could get an A
    hey mockel what did you put for the last one in cpt1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    what can Internet banking offer that normal 'high street' banking can't, i couldnt really figure out part b :/ anyone put a respectable answer? mm.. yeh, I agree the exam was far too like ICT so vague and just not computing style.. hard to answer :/
    My mum told me the answer to B was probobly that you can do all your banking even when the high street bank is closed

ReputationRep:
    My mum told me the answer to B was probobly that you can do all your banking even when the high street bank is closed
    You know, just re-looking at my post, it is really difficult to see how that applies to COMPUTING!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    There was a reference to it: "State 3 things that would be automatically changed" in a word processing package, but that was just the name, class, date etc. so it could vary just depending on which user has created the document, but it could also be using mail merge (unlikely though).

-=X=-

ReputationRep:
    Another stupid question was the access rights one. What is the problem with allowing everybody write access?

I said that you'd need read access too, or you wouldn't be able to update a record once you obtain all the information.

ReputationRep:
    Another stupid question was the access rights one. What is the problem with allowing everybody write access?

I said that you'd need read access too, or you wouldn't be able to update a record once you obtain all the information.
    I put that two students could both enter the same data on different occasions.

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam paper strange to. I find it hard to revise for computing as everything in my crappy lets guide never comes up in the exam. Since when was internet banking on the syllabus. I wish AQA would follow the guidelines they publish what is the point of a syllabus if they don't stick to it.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone spot the gramatical error on question6

for an exam board, thats poor!

ReputationRep:
    Thought CPT1 was fine but CPT2 was just very strange. A lot of "common sense" questions I thought rather than straight theory on the subject.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.