Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    one teacher, technology teacher invidulating, started to crack up, kind of, after reading the exam while we were do it.

Then he goes around saying how easy it is and half an hours revision would be enough for CPT1. A bit of an exaggeration but it sure wasnt like past papers, i mean if i had practice with algorithms and started to revise a little earlier, i would get 100% marks, but as i did start a little late, algorithm got wrong, but overall i think i did OK.

I think both papers' grade bouderies will be high, cos most of you are saying it is easy and it was kind of, so we'll see.

And another thing, which is soooooo stupid, (past paper question) A question on data capture method of a lottery ticket...... what is the best data capture method of the lottery ticket.

Answers.. Optical Mark Recognition or Optical Mark Reading but no mark for OMR or Optical Mark Reader. OK its a bit out of context but the student does know what method it is.

ReputationRep:
    I found it vague as well, there was no meat to it! By meat I mean nothing that made you think! i.e file size calculation and serial file processing.

The paper made you think but in a confusing way!

I'm gonna retake next time for the hell of it and knock it for six, stupid bloody CPT2/ICT hybrid!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_Head1)
    I found it vague as well, there was no meat to it! By meat I mean nothing that made you think! i.e file size calculation and serial file processing.

The paper made you think but in a confusing way!

I'm gonna retake next time for the hell of it and knock it for six, stupid bloody CPT2/ICT hybrid!!
    Ye man, it wa like, hmm..i know this is kinda related to wat i learnt

But it wa jst stupid

ReputationRep:
    Cpt 1 was easy appart from maybe the last 2 questions about alogrithms and code. However CPt2 was stupid and all IT-ish so i think i did really bad in that paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeps)
    yeh so true! i did it last year and am regreting that i didnt do that good on them now! the paper in my opinion was a lot more harder then the previous year's paper. The reason i thought this paper was annoying was there were too many 1/2 mark quesions in there and the questions were worded really badly! I havent done a question like that spreadsheet question since GCSE ICT.
    Extremely bad worded...I lost so many 0.5 marks in many questions.....I also wrote way too much stuff for low grade things...
    Whatever....I'm prob retaking mod 1 next summer...

ReputationRep:
    I didnt do CPT1 did in in Jan and got 88/105, a bit pissed this one was so easy as I dont want my hardwork in Jan be made a mockery of by those who re sat today and did loads better coz it was easy!!

CPT2 - totally agree.. was like a harder version of my GCSE ICT exam Stupid, I've been doing past papers for days and getting 52+ on them all and knew all the definitions etc word-for-word as they were on the mark scheme.

then I get into the exam and WTF wheres my 15 mark spreadhseet question, why arn't they asking me what a batch operating system is, why is it so vague.. I LEARNT HOW TO ****ING DO ALL THAT CODE FOR ORDERING SEQUENTIAL FILES FOR NOTHING.. RAAAA!!!

Gah some of it was just so annoying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savage Noodles)
    I didnt do CPT1 did in in Jan and got 88/105, a bit pissed this one was so easy as I dont want my hardwork in Jan be made a mockery of by those who re sat today and did loads better coz it was easy!!

CPT2 - totally agree.. was like a harder version of my GCSE ICT exam Stupid, I've been doing past papers for days and getting 52+ on them all and knew all the definitions etc word-for-word as they were on the mark scheme.

then I get into the exam and WTF wheres my 15 mark spreadhseet question, why arn't they asking me what a batch operating system is, why is it so vague.. I LEARNT HOW TO ****ING DO ALL THAT CODE FOR ORDERING SEQUENTIAL FILES FOR NOTHING.. RAAAA!!!

Gah some of it was just so annoying...
    I agree dude. Didn't do CPT1 because I did it in Jan, and now I learn that the June paper was insanely easy.

I think the questions about text and non-text files are stupid. What's the definition of a text file anyway? All data is stored in binary for all files, it's just interpreted differently by different programs. Is a text file one that is read as ascii or something, because any file can be opened in notepad for gods sake, even gif files and executables.

They should be teaching computing students that there is no real difference between text and non-text files, it all depends on interpretation. Why do they teach us such utter crap? Do they really measure a professional computer system developer's skill with knowledge of internet explorer's text size preferences and internet banking advantages?

Sorry - going on a rant now. Computing/ICT courses are such utter rollocks. Had just about enough of it

Also, why, on a "COMPUTING" exam, do they refer to 'your internet's browser'. It's a world wide web browser that uses HTTP protocol, just one of many services used on the internet. It's not an 'internet browser'. Computing examiners should know this and it should be taught to students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    I agree dude. Didn't do CPT1 because I did it in Jan, and now I learn that the June paper was insanely easy.

I think the questions about text and non-text files are stupid. What's the definition of a text file anyway? All data is stored in binary for all files, it's just interpreted differently by different programs. Is a text file one that is read as ascii or something, because any file can be opened in notepad for gods sake, even gif files and executables.

They should be teaching computing students that there is no real difference between text and non-text files, it all depends on interpretation. Why do they teach us such utter crap? Do they really measure a professional computer system developer's skill with knowledge of internet explorer's text size preferences and internet banking advantages?

Sorry - going on a rant now. Computing/ICT courses are such utter rollocks. Had just about enough of it

both papers were a piece of piss.

a text file is a file containing charecters which are delimited (spaces between) and are arranged in a line by line format.

the exams were a joke. i felt like laughing when i saw the question on RAM and ROM.

ReputationRep:
    It was

Accoring to the syllabus, a text file is a file containing characters encoded by ASCII, Unicode or UTF-8 :rolleyes:

But they're computing teachers... do they think logically? :rolleyes:

Yeah theres always loads of mistakes and the questions are never worded right :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    the exams were a joke. i felt like laughing when i saw the question on RAM and ROM.
    I just couldn't beleive that... then the LAN/WAN questions later on :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    a text file is a file containing charecters which are delimited (spaces between) and are arranged in a line by line format.
    No file contains characters. That's my point. It's all just numbers being interpretted as characters. Likewise, you could rename a .HTML file to .GIF easily. It means nothing. You could write a program which reads a .gif file as 'a file containing charecters which are delimited (spaces between) and are arranged in a line by line format.'

ReputationRep:
    No file contains characters. That's my point. It's all just numbers being interpretted as characters. Likewise, you could rename a .HTML file to .GIF easily. It means nothing. You could write a program which reads a .gif file as 'a file containing charecters which are delimited (spaces between) and are arranged in a line by line format.'
    I know but computing teachers have no practical knowlegde :rolleyes:

With computing, you don't have to write down the right answer... you have to think of the answer the examiner's expecting :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    With computing, you don't have to write down the right answer... you have to think of the answer the examiner's expecting :rolleyes:
    Exactly - couldn't of put it better myself. That's what seriously annoys me

Perfect example of this: They asked you for a validation 'control' on a database with no fields or tables specified at all. We were just told that it was a 'boating holiday database' or something. Did you invent a field and try to specifiy a validation rule? I did, and the chance of it being on the mark scheme is zilch. How do you come up with a method of validating data when you have no idea what the data is in a 'boating holiday database'?

ReputationRep:
    hello in cpt 1 there was a question about how the binary tree would be searched but it was stupid it didnt mention how preorder inorder or postorder i assumed it was pre order is that correct

ReputationRep:
    wat did u ppl put for

advantage of general purpse software and special purpose

wat was the purpose of algorithim

give example of wan and lan

ReputationRep:
    and wat did u put for the thing going to secondary store and the thing going to network cable

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I found the CPT2 really easy... too easy. It wasn't really computing at all. Rather, it felt like a ICT paper.

In my opinion, AQA need to update the stuff they teach. A lot (not all) of what we learn is out-of-date and hardly used within the industry itself. Computing is advancing rapidly, yet the syllabus has remained practically the same for the last two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qaz__999)
    wat did u ppl put for

advantage of general purpse software and special purpose

wat was the purpose of algorithim

give example of wan and lan
    Just to reiterate you guys, I too found it extreemly easy, but its difference compared to past papers would confuse students.
    Suprised at the amout of 1 markers esp on cpt1.

For those I put...

Advantage of general - does multiple common tasks to suit different circumstances

Special purpose - the program will do exactly what the user needs it to.

Purpose of algorith - wrong, but i put to put the values of the index numbers into order... got the table entries wrong too I think. It's something I didn't revise much. Thank god it wasn't a huge 9 mark trace table. Our class never understood 'em.

Example of wan - Internet (over large geographical area)
    eg of lan - used in an office (on one site)

Going to storage - disk controler
    going to network - 1/0 controler ...dunno if they're right.

Any one know the grade boundaries, what each module contributes to the final AS grade? I did shite on CPT3, so I hope these two redeem it.

ReputationRep:

it was a NIC - network interface card. as the diagram pointed to and labelled a network cable, not a network card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quin)
    Just to reiterate you guys, I too found it extreemly easy, but its difference compared to past papers would confuse students.
    Suprised at the amout of 1 markers esp on cpt1.

For those I put...

Advantage of general - does multiple common tasks to suit different circumstances

Special purpose - the program will do exactly what the user needs it to.

Purpose of algorith - wrong, but i put to put the values of the index numbers into order... got the table entries wrong too I think. It's something I didn't revise much. Thank god it wasn't a huge 9 mark trace table. Our class never understood 'em.

Example of wan - Internet (over large geographical area)
    eg of lan - used in an office (on one site)

Any one know the grade boundaries, what each module contributes to the final AS grade? I did shite on CPT3, so I hope these two redeem it.

I put that the algorythm found the largest number in an array which i think is correct.

i put "network adapter" for the one going to network which i think is ok.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.