blackboard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Overview:

Finished with 64 at Southampton
Dissertation 75
Working Full time at the moment as an analyst and I'd love to continue research within economics, but not outside london.
Considering LSE requires 1st - it appears only UCL is my option.

As such, my question to those with experience, is what is my likelihood of success? What are the probabilities of applicants versus offers?

And information is helpful ! thanks!
blackboard
Rep:
?
Bump
madnuts
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blackboard)
Overview:

Finished with 64 at Southampton
Dissertation 75
Working Full time at the moment as an analyst and I'd love to continue research within economics, but not outside london.
Considering LSE requires 1st - it appears only UCL is my option.

As such, my question to those with experience, is what is my likelihood of success? What are the probabilities of applicants versus offers?

And information is helpful ! thanks!
Hey there! I'm working as an Analyst too and hoping to pursue MSc Economics. I scraped a somewhat low 1st in my undergrad. Contacted UCL to clarify about international requirements (I am an international applicant), and here's what they said:

"The academic performance level that you refer to is the minimum that UCL will consider from an applicant. The Economics Department at UCL requires a minimum of 70% overall from students with suitable undergraduate degrees from prestigious universities in India."

The minimum that I had referred to was a 65% aggregate. I am not sure whether the fact that they are asking for a 70% does not automatically translate to a UK 1st (I am not good at such conversions) I suggest the best solution would be to contact the department. I did not want to spend 50 GBP without making sure that I was even eligible for the MSc. You can write to them here: [email protected]

Hope this helps
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh okay, my first comment is awaiting moderation.

Btw I am applying to Southampton too. What are your views on the department and their MSc Economics and Econometrics? And if you wish to stay in London, have you considered places like Queen Mary or King's College? Being an international applicant I really wanted to stay in London but I am not entirely sure about how 'prestigious' these universities are. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
blackboard
Rep:
?
S
(Original post by madnuts)

Btw I am applying to Southampton too. What are your views on the department and their MSc Economics and Econometrics? And if you wish to stay in London, have you considered places like Queen Mary or King's College? Being an international applicant I really wanted to stay in London but I am not entirely sure about how 'prestigious' these universities are. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Southampton has a great department. What we lack for in employer connections we more than make up for with our research and quality of teaching
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I did this course at Southampton. Let me know if you have any specific questions relating to the department, course, employment, etc.
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
I did this course at Southampton. Let me know if you have any specific questions relating to the department, course, employment, etc.
Wow, thanks a lot! Um, actually I have lots of questions.
*How tough did you find the program, and how did you find the faculty?
*I am actually hoping for a PhD to work as a professional econometrician in the government, to work/research on the quantitative analysis in policy making. Do you think this program would be in line with my goals? I have my undergrad degree in economics and I did one year of econometrics, statistics and mathematical methods each.
*Also, what is the general employability trend of graduates from this program? Do many of them go for a phd? if yes, which university would that be?

I just bombarded you with lots of questions but please reply whenever you find the time.
EconomistJack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Since you are set on London, have you considered the MSc Economics and Strategy at Imperial? I don't think it's as difficult to get into as UCL/LSE and the university is "prestigious" if that's the path you want to go down...
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EconomistJack)
Since you are set on London, have you considered the MSc Economics and Strategy at Imperial? I don't think it's as difficult to get into as UCL/LSE and the university is "prestigious" if that's the path you want to go down...
Hi, I just checked out their program. But it looks corporate-oriented, whereas I am inclined towards a more theoretical course to undertake a PhD...
EconomistJack
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I just checked out their program. But it looks corporate-oriented, whereas I am inclined towards a more theoretical course to undertake a PhD...
Yeah I agree with that assessment - it's one of the things putting me off it too tbh.
EconomistJack
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you set on London?
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you set on London?
Haha, not that much. London is all I've heard of since childhood, hence the fantasy. :P I am applying to LSE, UCL, Warwick, (MSc Economics) and Nottingham, Southampton (MSc Economics and Econometrics) and Edinburgh's SGPE (MSc Econometrics) which sounds interesting. I hope I've got a safe mix of universities to apply to.

I'm also deliberating applying to MSc Econometrics from Manchester... But can't seem to settle on a decision yet.

What are your plans?
EconomistJack
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha, not that much. London is all I've heard of since childhood, hence the fantasy. :P I am applying to LSE, UCL, Warwick, (MSc Economics) and Nottingham, Southampton (MSc Economics and Econometrics) and Edinburgh's SGPE (MSc Econometrics) which sounds interesting. I hope I've got a safe mix of universities to apply to.

I'm also deliberating applying to MSc Econometrics from Manchester... But can't seem to settle on a decision yet.

What are your plans?
Fair enough - are you not from the UK then?

That sounds like a good mix - you'll certainly get offers!

My main three are UCL, Warwick (straight econ) and Imperial (economics and strategy for business)... might send a speculative application to LSE but I'm not sure that my quantitative skills will look good enough for them!

What's your background/profile?
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fair enough - are you not from the UK then?

That sounds like a good mix - you'll certainly get offers!

My main three are UCL, Warwick (straight econ) and Imperial (economics and strategy for business)... might send a speculative application to LSE but I'm not sure that my quantitative skills will look good enough for them!

What's your background/profile?
Yeah, you guessed it. I'm from India. And me too, LSE is almost off-limits for me. I'm more in econometrics, so I had been hoping to apply to MSc EME. But I scored a 322 on the GRE with 163Q which is THE minimum Applications start on 19th October, which still gives me few hours to think about spending that application fee.

I did my undergrad in Economics and scored a 72% aggregate. I'm guessing that would be equivalent to a British 2.1.

What's your background? And have you applied yet? And have you considered schools in Europe?
EconomistJack
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, you guessed it. I'm from India. And me too, LSE is almost off-limits for me. I'm more in econometrics, so I had been hoping to apply to MSc EME. But I scored a 322 on the GRE with 163Q which is THE minimum Applications start on 19th October, which still gives me few hours to think about spending that application fee.

I did my undergrad in Economics and scored a 72% aggregate. I'm guessing that would be equivalent to a British 2.1.

What's your background? And have you applied yet? And have you considered schools in Europe?
I don't know much about the GRE but I think that if you have a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation then you have a chance. If you don't apply you will never know!

The applications START tomorrow - people who apply in December or January can still get in.

I have a 1st from a UK university, roughly 20th ranked, I haven't applied to any econ courses yet... I don't think there is any time pressure at all, it's only October! Like I said, I have friends that applied after Christmas and were accepted to UCL etc
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know much about the GRE but I think that if you have a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation then you have a chance. If you don't apply you will never know!

The applications START tomorrow - people who apply in December or January can still get in.

I have a 1st from a UK university, roughly 20th ranked, I haven't applied to any econ courses yet... I don't think there is any time pressure at all, it's only October! Like I said, I have friends that applied after Christmas and were accepted to UCL etc
Woah, nice academics there! Your choices look good Btw which university are you from? I have spent so much time on league tables that it would be actually nice to recollect a name

I know it's way too early, but I really need some funding as international tuition fees are exorbitantly high. And you know, everytime I visit a school's website I ALWAYS see the phrase "competition for places is intense" and "applicants are advised to apply early" and stuff, and that just wrecks me up lol
EconomistJack
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Woah, nice academics there! Your choices look good Btw which university are you from? I have spent so much time on league tables that it would be actually nice to recollect a name

I know it's way too early, but I really need some funding as international tuition fees are exorbitantly high. And you know, everytime I visit a school's website I ALWAYS see the phrase "competition for places is intense" and "applicants are advised to apply early" and stuff, and that just wrecks me up lol
My undergrad is from UEA (East Anglia).

I definitely think that a well planned and prepared application is far superior to one which was rushed to be submitted quickly though! I know for certain the higher you go up the tables, the higher the emphasis is placed on your statement, LORs etc...
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My undergrad is from UEA (East Anglia).

I definitely think that a well planned and prepared application is far superior to one which was rushed to be submitted quickly though! I know for certain the higher you go up the tables, the higher the emphasis is placed on your statement, LORs etc...
Yeah, agreed. I've actually been working on my essays for quite a while now, will probably submit the final applications by October end. Good luck to you! And good night / morning, its almost 4am here
blackboard
Rep:
?
Out of curiosity what you both aiming for after the MSc?
madnuts
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blackboard)
Out of curiosity what you both aiming for after the MSc?
Aiming for a PhD Received my offer for MSc Economics at UCL two days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (4)
4.17%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (14)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (18)
18.75%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
10.42%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (32)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
18.75%

Watched Threads