The Student Room Group

Still love him but not "in love"

Had the most amazing relationship with my boyfriend. We were the best of friends and I was madly in love with him. He'd be on my mind constantly. And I was so happy with us! Then one day I just randomly thought "I don't love X anymore." It was the most bizarre thing as the month leading up to that I'd started daydreaming about us getting engaged. That was several months ago and I haven't felt the same since. It's the oddest thing and I feel so sad and miss how we were so much. I don't want to let him go, or want anyone else, but at the same time I feel so sad/guilty when I'm around him or speaking to him because I just don't get that feeling anymore.
I know how you feel, the difference was that I let him go all together because I can't stay mates with him. :frown: I can't say too much about myself, but I do get what you mean.
Reply 2
That's really sad :frown: I think you should give it some more time, did anything trigger it or was it completely random? Give it time, if nothing changes, then end it. There's no point in being with someone you don't feel anything for anymore :frown:
Reply 3
That is really sad :frown:

You described how I feel about my ex. It caused her so much pain but I had to let her go. Now she hates me. Wouldnt see me for a year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh that's really sad. Did you just wake up one day and stop feeling anything for your boyfriend? It's weird that it was that sudden, I mean you did say you were daydreaming about being engaged to the guy so it seems it wasn't gradual.

I'd say the only thing you can do is let him go. It'll prolong his suffering and yours if you stay with him. You need to tell him the truth and break up.
Original post by Anonymous
Had the most amazing relationship with my boyfriend. We were the best of friends and I was madly in love with him. He'd be on my mind constantly. And I was so happy with us! Then one day I just randomly thought "I don't love X anymore." It was the most bizarre thing as the month leading up to that I'd started daydreaming about us getting engaged. That was several months ago and I haven't felt the same since. It's the oddest thing and I feel so sad and miss how we were so much. I don't want to let him go, or want anyone else, but at the same time I feel so sad/guilty when I'm around him or speaking to him because I just don't get that feeling anymore.

The worst thing you can do to yourself is to just give up on the spot. Sure you will have some hard days but giving up on the first few days it happens shouldn't be the deciding vote. Sure you may have changed but are you really a different person overnight and has much really changed between you?
Reply 6
Original post by 06sulraj
I know how you feel, the difference was that I let him go all together because I can't stay mates with him. :frown: I can't say too much about myself, but I do get what you mean.

That's sad. I hope you're ok!

Original post by Zuki
That's really sad :frown: I think you should give it some more time, did anything trigger it or was it completely random? Give it time, if nothing changes, then end it. There's no point in being with someone you don't feel anything for anymore :frown:

It was so completely random. Nothing triggered it. I do feel for him in some ways but not in the way that I did.

Original post by JD1lla
That is really sad :frown:

You described how I feel about my ex. It caused her so much pain but I had to let her go. Now she hates me. Wouldnt see me for a year.

It really is. The thing is I don't want to let him go. What so ever! All I want are those feelings back. I know he wouldn't hate me, if I let him go, but I I would be upset if he moved on himself.

Original post by Danz123
Oh that's really sad. Did you just wake up one day and stop feeling anything for your boyfriend? It's weird that it was that sudden, I mean you did say you were daydreaming about being engaged to the guy so it seems it wasn't gradual.

I'd say the only thing you can do is let him go. It'll prolong his suffering and yours if you stay with him. You need to tell him the truth and break up.

It wasn't even that I woke up one day. It was 1 second I was madly in love, then I moved to one side of my bed and suddenly I had this feeling.

I keep thinking that would be the right thing to do, but neither of us want that. I don't think I'd want to love everyone after him. He's my best friend. I've never felt so connected to anyone else. I'm so upset because this has no reason about it.
Reply 7
Original post by Arkarian
The worst thing you can do to yourself is to just give up on the spot. Sure you will have some hard days but giving up on the first few days it happens shouldn't be the deciding vote. Sure you may have changed but are you really a different person overnight and has much really changed between you?

I refuse to. To be honest, it's been several months but we both want to fight indefinitely. I didn't change overnight, no. What has changed is that I haven't been very happy since the day this happened.
Reply 8
It wasn't even that I woke up one day. It was 1 second I was madly in love, then I moved to one side of my bed and suddenly I had this feeling.

I keep thinking that would be the right thing to do, but neither of us want that. I don't think I'd want to love everyone after him. He's my best friend. I've never felt so connected to anyone else. I'm so upset because this has no reason about it.

I don't think that's something you can fight or control. If you don't feel anything for him it may not be logical, but it happens. I'm really sorry it has, but I think it would be best if you guys did break up. You may hope for those feelings to come back, but what if they never do? I don't think it's fair to him to carry on the relationship knowing those feelings aren't there, just for the sake of security and stability. Yes you guys have been together a while and are really close, and you can still try to make a friendship work after the break up if you want, but it's better to think of the other person in this situation and move on.
I refuse to. To be honest, it's been several months but we both want to fight indefinitely. I didn't change overnight, no. What has changed is that I haven't been very happy since the day this happened.

Ok if it has been over time then yeah I'd get behind your decision. Sorry but from what I read (I only read over things generally before answering till it matters if I learn info or not for a specfic answer) it seemed like it was recent.
(At least I'm honest)

If it has been a while then you are free by any right to do whatever you like but I'm unsure why you posted today if it was a past event?
If you need someone to scream at I'm always around and I'll listen to problems if you PM me as I'm not that cold to people in need.

It might help you though if you do try and find out why you suddenly felt disheartened by the relationship and what you might need to consider if you have another one.
That's sad. I hope you're ok!

Yeah, I am fine. I have better things to focus on such as my education. I still think about him from time to time, but not 24/7 several months back. I hope that at the end of this year, whatever I felt for him evaporates completely.
First off I want to say that I'm so very glad I stumbled upon this post because this was me just over a year ago. The bad news was that I spent the best part of half a year crying over my relationship and thinking I'd lost all love for my boyfriend. The good news is after that hard time I started to fall for him (slowly, admittedly) and now I feel exactly the way I did before. In fact, you could say I feel more in love with him now!

Original post by Danz123
I don't think that's something you can fight or control. If you don't feel anything for him it may not be logical, but it happens. I'm really sorry it has, but I think it would be best if you guys did break up. You may hope for those feelings to come back, but what if they never do? I don't think it's fair to him to carry on the relationship knowing those feelings aren't there, just for the sake of security and stability. Yes you guys have been together a while and are really close, and you can still try to make a friendship work after the break up if you want, but it's better to think of the other person in this situation and move on.

Good sir, I'd be very inclined to agree with you if I hadn't been through the situation myself. This poor girl is obviously not carrying on for the sake of security. Look at the way she's desperate to get those feelings back. She still loves him. It's the infatuation that she's lost.

However, you are right about thinking about the other person. If this is too much for him then yes you're right, the best thing to do is to break it off. Nonetheless, if (like my boyfriend was) he is keen to stand by your side and see if you can get through this then what have you got to lose?

I also agree that these feelings don't just randomly go. There is usually a reason. For me it was a number of reasons and it took some time with a therapist to work those out. (Those reasons, I found, were far more to do with myself than with him, too)

And I also agree that you can't force these feelings. You honestly can't! What you can do, however, is to try and push those thoughts to the back of your mind and you may (or may not) be able to fall for him all over again.

Also, something that you may need to consider is that you have simply gotten out of the honeymoon period. I know so many people who have given up when times have got a little tough and really ended up regretting it in the end.

It sounds horrible but try and treat this like a new beginning. It worked for me. It may or may not work for you but I know that you'll feel a lot happier for having tried. Be aware at all times that this may been too much for your boyfriend though and he may not be able to cope himself. But if you're honest and communicative he and you should be fine.

Source: A girl who went through exactly the same thing and is now engaged to that wonderful human being
How old are you, if you are quite young then your feelings will change quite rapidly.
Original post by Rock Fan
How old are you, if you are quite young then your feelings will change quite rapidly.

I'm 23
Yeah you are still at that age where you got so much to see etc it is understandable really how you are feeling. But you can't string the guy along if you are not feeling the same anymore, maybe the spark as gone out of the relationship and it's gotten to the stage where it is just a routine now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending