Turn on thread page Beta

age gap watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    6 years is not too bad, but just remember he's only going out with you because he can't get a woman his own age :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclone666)
    6 years is not too bad, but just remember he's only going out with you because he can't get a woman his own age :cool:
    speaking from personal experience are we:rolleyes: hehe

ReputationRep:
    i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    do you think six years is too big an age gap its just that ive met a guy i like and he likes me the thing is he is 21 and im 15 i feel happy and he knows how old i am. but my mates keep going on i see where there coming from whats your opinion

As long as you are happy...

ReputationRep:
    6 years can be ok for some girls as they're ready and mature enough to take on a 21 yr old guy. If you're not that kind of girl, the relationship might not be balanced and you'll end up being the young impressionable girl and might end up doing a few mistakes along the way. Believe me, when you're 21, it's so much easier to impress a 15 year old girl and to fool her about your feelings.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought discussion about age gaps is limited.. it's the gap between the stage you are in life that REALLY matters, I think. For example, if you're 16, work full-time in Tesco and date a 22 year old that also works there, then that's not so strange as you're both working, still probably living at home.. However, if you're 16 and doing your GCSEs and going out with someone who has a proper job and lives in their own place, that's a bit different.. you have to ask what do they want? Most people want to go out with people they have things in common with.. and if you're at different stages of life then that not might be much.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it doesnt matter, it depends more on how mature you are, and what his motives are. My bf and I have a 4 year gap, most of my mates have a 6 year gap, but they were a bit older when they met

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I've always thought discussion about age gaps is limited.. it's the gap between the stage you are in life that REALLY matters, I think. For example, if you're 16, work full-time in Tesco and date a 22 year old that also works there, then that's not so strange as you're both working, still probably living at home.. However, if you're 16 and doing your GCSEs and going out with someone who has a proper job and lives in their own place, that's a bit different.. you have to ask what do they want? Most people want to go out with people they have things in common with.. and if you're at different stages of life then that not might be much.
    Not bad for an example... Life experience definitely counts.

ReputationRep:
    that is abit harsh??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    do you think six years is too big an age gap its just that ive met a guy i like and he likes me the thing is he is 21 and im 15 i feel happy and he knows how old i am. but my mates keep going on i see where there coming from whats your opinion
    I think the age gap's too big hun, it's hard to have anything in common with someone who's six years older than you when you're 15 and if you do have anything in common it's a little worrying as it either means he's really immature or you're old before your time!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on how serious the relationship is and quite frankly, your level of maturity

some 21yr olds can be really immature as well and dont have a clue about what they want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    I think it depends on how serious the relationship is and quite frankly, your level of maturity

some 21yr olds can be really immature as well and dont have a clue about what they want...
    I don't know i just think it's a little odd on his behalf. Most level headed 21 year olds wouldn't be interested in an 15 year old (no offence to the threadstarted - i'm sure she's lovely, but its just generally something they'd stay clear off). I'm not saying he's got a hidden agenda or whatever, 'cause everyone's different i guess.
    Anyway hun, if it's meant to be it'll be so g'luck with it all x

ReputationRep:
    When I was fifteen I went out with a 25 year old. That's just my taste I think it's great; he's probably a hell of a lot more interesting than most 15 year old boys (no offense)!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, six years is a lot when you're fifteen but I can't really talk as I had a relationship with a guy twelve years older than me that started when I was 17. However it was a very controlling relationship; I was beautifully manipulated for nearly two years and hurt very very badly at the end; and from what I've learned since, this seems not uncommon in relationships with large age gaps, at least when one partner is very young. It is entirely possible that your boyfriend is being utterly genuine; but the cynic in me would warn you just to be on your guard. Remember that the vast majority of men are after one thing only and he's likely to be no different; don't let yourself be manipulated into situations you might regret later...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Hmm, six years is a lot when you're fifteen but I can't really talk as I had a relationship with a guy twelve years older than me that started when I was 17. However it was a very controlling relationship; I was beautifully manipulated for nearly two years and hurt very very badly at the end; and from what I've learned since, this seems not uncommon in relationships with large age gaps, at least when one partner is very young. It is entirely possible that your boyfriend is being utterly genuine; but the cynic in me would warn you just to be on your guard. Remember that the vast majority of men are after one thing only and he's likely to be no different; don't let yourself be manipulated into situations you might regret later...
    I totally agree, it is usually a control thing when guys go for younger girls. They know the girl will be in awe of them and it'll be all exciting coz the guy's got a money and car and what have you, but you really have to ask why he's not dating 18 yr old girls... perhaps they can see through him?

ReputationRep:
    I think its not such a big gap when you are say 18 or 19 but yeah, darl, it does seem huge.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.