The Student Room Group

Best banks to have a current account with

Which banks are best to have the current account with? I don't need any fancy features, not even overdrafts because I carefully manage my money. I just need a bank account where I could get my weekly salary paid into and be able to use contactless debit card.

I'm currently using Barclays. I had a read through some banks but sometimes it's just gets confusing or I can't decide between the banks.

Scroll to see replies

Nationwide, imo are pretty decent. Their app and Internet banking (although you can't set up a.new payee on the app) are simple enough to navigate.
Any money stashed in the bank? Some accounts give you about 3% interest per month provided you have something like 500 a month paid into the account and you pay a monthly fee of literally a few quid, you could basically make an extra 100 a month just by having a few grand sitting in the bank.
Reply 3
Original post by WoodyMKC
Any money stashed in the bank? Some accounts give you about 3% interest per month provided you have something like 500 a month paid into the account and you pay a monthly fee of literally a few quid, you could basically make an extra 100 a month just by having a few grand sitting in the bank.

I save money the old fashioned way, by withdrawing set amount each week and putting away, I do not keep them on my account :smile:
Original post by ForgetMe
I save money the old fashioned way, by withdrawing set amount each week and putting away, I do not keep them on my account :smile:

I meant an extra 100 a year from 3% interest a year btw, not per month, that'd be nuts :lol: But yeah, stashing a certain amount in a tin per week works :biggrin:
Reply 5
I meant an extra 100 a year from 3% interest a year btw, not per month, that'd be nuts :lol: But yeah, stashing a certain amount in a tin per week works :biggrin:

So which banks in general are better other than Barclays?

:frown: I was going to flood your inbox with messages.
I am opening an account with Lloyds next week.Try that OP?
Original post by Juichiro

Sorry to fill you with false hope mate :frown: I must have been very tired in my first post. two weeks ago so can't remember really :lol:
Original post by Skill Twix

Give reasons why OP should do it. Why is Lloyds better than the rest?
So which banks in general are better other than Barclays?

They're all the ****ing same tbh :lol:
They all tend to have the same features.

Stay with barclays if youve an appt.
Reply 12
Original post by Juichiro

With nudes? :sexface:

Lloyds didn't let me open my bank account online for my 1st time :unimportant:

They're all the ****ing same tbh :lol:

Well, I don't want to open and then regret it later :hmmm:

Original post by keromedic
They all tend to have the same features.

Stay with barclays if youve an appt.

Appt?

Lloyds didn't let me open my bank account online for my 1st time :unimportant:

Well, I don't want to open and then regret it later :hmmm:

Appt?

Why?Any particular reason brother?
Reply 14

I think it was something with the info I've provided, it kept saying something wrong but I've checked millions of times and still same, so gave up.
I think it was something with the info I've provided, it kept saying something wrong but I've checked millions of times and still same, so gave up.

Oh

Appt?

Appointment, Sorry, thought you had appointment to join Barclays. Why do you want to switch?
Which banks are best to have the current account with? I don't need any fancy features, not even overdrafts because I carefully manage my money. I just need a bank account where I could get my weekly salary paid into and be able to use contactless debit card.

I'm currently using Barclays. I had a read through some banks but sometimes it's just gets confusing or I can't decide between the banks.

You might want to take a look at these links. Hopefully it is of some help to you.
http://www.savethestudent.org/money/student-banking/student-bank-accounts.html
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/iss/before-you-arrive/bank-account
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/current-accounts/student-bank-accounts/
https://www.bba.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/AE249_BBA_International_Students_Oct12.pdf
I think all banks have contactless cards now.

I switched from Natwest to Nationwide. The customer service at Natwest was ****. Not had a problem (we shall ignore that stuff with the credit card...) with Nationwide so far. Only thing you can't do on their mobile app is set up a new payee. If it bothers you that much, they use a pin pad for some of the stuff on mobile banking.

Halifax and Lloyds are part of the same group. Satander are putting their fee up to £5 a month in January.

Halifax offer you £125 if you switch. When I switched to Nationwide, I got a friend to fill in a form for me and we both got £100.

Not an issue for me (and maybe you?) but you may need to consider whether there's a branch in your area. I live in a major city on the edge of town. So every major branch is no more than 20 minutes walk away.

Is he your brother? :0 I didn't know ForgetMe was Asian. :redface:

I got caught. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending