The Student Room Group

My family don't respect my decision to become a vegetarian, really annoying...

I tolerate them harping on about their religion all the time when I don't agree with it but they just laugh at me & keep trying to feed me chicken, meat, fish etc when I don't even want it & have said I don't want to eat it. I find it fairly irritating. I don't even try to push my views on them. Why can't they just respect my decision? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Fight them with a cucumber.
Original post by Multitalented me
I tolerate them harping on about their religion all the time when I don't agree with it but they just laugh at me & keep trying to feed me chicken, meat, fish etc when I don't even want it & have said I don't want to eat it. I find it fairly irritating. I don't even try to push my views on them. Why can't they just respect my decision? :frown:

Because they don't respect you or anyone who goes against their views. Pretty simple.
Original post by SophieSmall
Because they don't respect you or anyone who goes against their views. Pretty simple.
Yeah it's a shame really, I don't see why they have to mock me & stuff though, just let me eat what I want instead of trying to get me to eat dead animals :yucky: I still don't have enough money to move out either :dong:

Original post by EastGuava
Fight them with a cucumber.
Haha good one! :lol:
Yeah it's a shame really, I don't see why they have to mock me & stuff though, just let me eat what I want instead of trying to get me to eat dead animals :yucky: I still don't have enough money to move out either

Are you working currently? How much are you short moving out?
Reply 5
Swap all the meat in the fridge for vegetarian substitutes and show them how annoying that is. Maybe they might even like it :tongue:
They probably can't be arsed with the hassle of cooking special meals for you or buying special ingredients. You can do what you want when you move out.
Don't take it so personally OP. They just see meat-eating as a trivially ordinary thing, because they've done it all their lives.

Have you spoken about animal welfare issues with them over a long time, or was this a snap decision? Because if it's the latter I would say they probably don't know how seriously you're taking it.
Reply 8
I can't trust anyone who forsakes bacon.
I can understand why, I don't think I could live with a vegetarian. They are untrustworthy.
Incredibly disrespectful if true.
Make your own meals instead then and refuse their food?
OP are you able to make your own meals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
becoming vegan on own accord is stupid and pointless, unless you have meat allergy or something
Reply 14
Who asked you to become a veggie?
Original post by beruangmacan
becoming vegan on own accord is stupid and pointless, unless you have meat allergy or something

they're vegetarian not vegan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I became a vegetarian this year and I was also laughed at by my family.

I remember going to a family BBQ in the summer and they were all taking the piss out of me, like really badly and it did upset me.

I just didn't give in and let them know that I'm serious about it and I don't really care what they think.

I still get the odd comment but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Don't take it so personally OP. They just see meat-eating as a trivially ordinary thing, because they've done it all their lives.

Have you spoken about animal welfare issues with them over a long time, or was this a snap decision? Because if it's the latter I would say they probably don't know how seriously you're taking it.
It was a decision I made over time, I became increasingly guilty about eating chicken/meat/fish etc & now that I've become a veggie feel much happier. I don't really feel like I'm missing out either (I love Quorn!) but I feel as if they should be more respectful of my views :redface:
Original post by Reeeeyah
I became a vegetarian this year and I was also laughed at by my family.

I remember going to a family BBQ in the summer and they were all taking the piss out of me, like really badly and it did upset me.

I just didn't give in and let them know that I'm serious about it and I don't really care what they think.

I still get the odd comment but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.
Sorry to hear that, yeah it's awful when people laugh at you :dong: Just keep doing what you're doing :smile: Animals have their own set of rights! However, I guess you can't have the same opinions as everyone. Meh...
Reply 19

Is vegetarianism encouraged in your parents' religion.
If so then you can use that against their arguments :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending