SophieA17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My hypothesis is that both genders act differently when talking to the same sex and opposite sex in situational comedies. Not sure if that's a good hypothesis as I started talking about lexis but both genders use the same words? I love sitcoms so I wanted to do it about that but I just keep getting stuck on what to write, would love some help please on ideas of what to write??
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did something similar to this, but with TV host duos (one male-male, one female-female, and one male-female). Gender differences were definitely apparent. You just need to remember that sitcoms are scripted, not spontaneous, with affects the accuracy of your findings. The words you are hearing are those of the writers, not the speakers. It could be good to focus on whether or not the writers have followed what is expected of each gender (e.g. men speak more than women in male-female conversations, women use more tags and minimal responses etc), or the extent to which the language reflects what you would expect. If both genders use the same type of lexis, comment on that. Why did the writers make that the case? What exactly were they talking about? Also remember that other factors beside gender will have guided the writers in their choice of language and never assume that differences or similarities are solely caused by gender.

I used to watch How I Met Your Mother a lot, and I always thought there were a lot of unexpected uses of language in that show that really go against gender stereotypes, so that could be an interesting one to look at if you're into it! Don't get disheartened, though, if your findings don't match your expectations - often this makes for a more interesting investigation.
SophieA17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much! Yeah in my analysis I did point out that it was scripted but I'm hoping you can still talk about how the writers created the characters fitting certain gender stereotypes. That is very true yeah I am looking at Friends and Miranda but I did consider How I met your mother. I'm thinking about talking about phonology as Miranda uses lots of that as she breaks out into song a fair bit but Friends not as much. Thanks again, I just need to remember my findings don't have to support my hypothesis or gender theorists I have talked about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (219)
23.7%
Pop (228)
24.68%
Jazz (35)
3.79%
Classical (56)
6.06%
Hip-Hop (172)
18.61%
Electronic (62)
6.71%
Indie (152)
16.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise