The Student Room Group

Is studying law limiting?

I am interested in studying law, I wanted to know if i was to study it in England could I work as a lawyer in lets say Australia or Singapore? Or could I only work in the UK?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous1502
I am interested in studying law, I wanted to know if i was to study it in England could I work as a lawyer in lets say Australia or Singapore? Or could I only work in the UK?

I have friends who got a UK LLB and then had to sit professional exams to convert their degree to practise Singapore. No idea about Australia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always get told that one needs to have contacts.
Reply 3
The degree can be converted. So a common law LLB degree makes you eligible to qualify in a range of common law countries. So you can go and sit the bar exam in the USA if you wished. What limits you is if you qualify in the UK as a solicitor or barrister, then you cannot just go and practice in another country. You'd have to qualify again in the new jurisdiction.

& don't listen to Ser Alex Toyne. Contacts are always going to be useful but you get out what you put in. If you do well and take the time to seek vacation schemes/mini-pupillages and are friendly with the staff at university then you never know what will spring up. The law students who complain that contacts are necessary are the ones who either didn't do much during their degree and couldn't land a training contract last minute or they want to be chancery barristers or something when yes contacts become important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending