The Student Room Group

Choosing Oxford and Imperial

Would it be a bit dangerous to put down Oxford AND Imperial in my UCAS choices?
I'm predicted A*A*A* and want to do CompSci but I'm afraid of putting down two top universities.
I've currently put on Oxford, Warwick, Sheffield, Nottingham and Loughborough. Imperial would replace Warwick as I don't feel too comfortable putting down two A*AA unis.
Am I being a bit too fearful?
Original post by Inkozzo
Would it be a bit dangerous to put down Oxford AND Imperial in my UCAS choices?
I'm predicted A*A*A* and want to do CompSci but I'm afraid of putting down two top universities.
I've currently put on Oxford, Warwick, Sheffield, Nottingham and Loughborough. Imperial would replace Warwick as I don't feel too comfortable putting down two A*AA unis.
Am I being a bit too fearful?

Depends on how realistic that A*A*A* prediction is but I honestly don't see the problem here because you have got some pretty secure choices (I know somebody who got an offer from Nottingham with predictions far lower than yours) so you're almost certainly not going to end up with zero offers.
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
Depends on how realistic that A*A*A* prediction is but I honestly don't see the problem here because you have got some pretty secure choices (I know somebody who got an offer from Nottingham with predictions far lower than yours) so you're almost certainly not going to end up with zero offers.

Hmm. I'm considering putting Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Sheffield, Nottingham.
This whole process is just making me feel insecure about whether I'm smart or not :tongue:.
Original post by Inkozzo
Hmm. I'm considering putting Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Sheffield, Nottingham.
This whole process is just making me feel insecure about whether I'm smart or not :tongue:.

It would help if you told us what your AS results are but I'd have thought that you'd certainly get at least 2/3 offers. Oxford and Imperial are incredibly competitive for Computer Science of course but there's no reason to think that an application would be a waste.
You have 5 - go for it!
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
It would help if you told us what your AS results are but I'd have thought that you'd certainly get at least 2/3 offers. Oxford and Imperial are incredibly competitive for Computer Science of course but there's no reason to think that an application would be a waste.

I got AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry)
Original post by Inkozzo
I got AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry)

Okay well in that case, your predictions look completely reasonable so I seriously wouldn't worry. For Oxford and Imperial it will depend on your interview performance and in the case of Oxford, your MAT performance but at least from your grades, you sound like a strong applicant so please don't get too stressed about ending up with no offers because that's not going to happen!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending