The Student Room Group

IOT Breakdown

Good evening,

Here is what I believe to be the current break down of IOT.

IOT - 30 weeks
Term 1 :
- weeks 1- 4 Military Skills, GSK Drill, Op Studies, Leadership Fundamentals
- week 5 Hanger exercises
- week 6 Academic leadership
- week 7 & 8 Dynamic Leadership
- week 9 Military skills exercise.
Term 2:
- Week 1 - Foundation phase
- Week 2 - Military aid leadership camp (exercise)
- week 3 - 6 RAF Ethos / Air power studies, lectures from university academics
- weeks 7 - 8 Military simulation (Decisive edge 1)
- weeks 9 - 10 recommendation to progress

Term 3:
- Week 1 - 5 - Leadership / carousel , 1 week academic study 2-5 Basic air warfare course.
- Week 6 - 8 Military Simulation (Decisive edge 2) - high level jobs j1 - 9
- Week 9 - 10 - Graduation

I wondered if anyone could add anything to it that may have been updated.

From the research I have conducted and the posts on here it seems to be fairly up to date but I thought it be best to double check.

Regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bflt3020iff
Good evening,

Here is what I believe to be the current break down of IOT.

IOT - 30 weeks
Term 1 :
- weeks 1- 4 Military Skills, GSK Drill, Op Studies, Leadership Fundamentals
- week 5 Hanger exercises
- week 6 Academic leadership
- week 7 & 8 Dynamic Leadership
- week 9 Military skills exercise.
Term 2:
- Week 1 - Foundation phase
- Week 2 - Military aid leadership camp (exercise)
- week 3 - 6 RAF Ethos / Air power studies, lectures from university academics
- weeks 7 - 8 Military simulation (Decisive edge 1)
- weeks 9 - 10 recommendation to progress

Term 3:
- Week 1 - 5 - Leadership / carousel , 1 week academic study 2-5 Basic air warfare course.
- Week 6 - 8 Military Simulation (Decisive edge 2) - high level jobs j1 - 9
- Week 9 - 10 - Graduation

I wondered if anyone could add anything to it that may have been updated.

From the research I have conducted and the posts on here it seems to be fairly up to date but I thought it be best to double check.

Regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty much spot on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply, I just wasn't sure as I have heard different ex names thrown in there such as mercronis etc I've also heard it's changed from decisive edge to vigilant edge??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the reply, I just wasn't sure as I have heard different ex names thrown in there such as mercronis etc I've also heard it's changed from decisive edge to vigilant edge??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't overthink it, DE /decisive edge will do fine. They used to give you a copy of the IOT timetable on day 1 of OASC so you could be up to date for the interview, so that should clarify what to call them.

Names change all the time, but you won't fail just by not being finger on the pulse with every detail, you'll drive yourself nuts if you go down that road. You'll do well enough if you already know what you listed to begin with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, the boarding officers at OASC probably aren't that up to date themselves. When I went through (admittedly 6 years ago) they still thought a test existed despite it being withdrawn 2 years previously.
Reply 5
Looks like a possible fallout from SDSR2015 is another change to the IOT course length (cut to 24 weeks). See here. Sorry, don't have a Times account so link only shows the first few lines of the article, but it suggests the new course structure could begin in April this year.

Only a rumour at this stage (unless serving chaps know differently), but something else to consider for all those planning a journey on the RAF commissioning route.

There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction. - Winston Churchill

If you subscribe to this opinion, you could be forgiven for thinking the RAF isn't totally sure what output it actually wants from RAFC. Either that, or is being forced to address legacy recruiting policies which have caused all sorts of manning issues and potential problems with professional course scheduling. Who knows?
Sharp edge is a 4 day ex at the end of term 1. They liked that I knew that as few people know it's name... Little details. If you also expand on what skills gained (styles of leadership) they really like that too. This is what I was told in my debrief.
(Thanks to Tina for the help with my application)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ikaruss
Looks like a possible fallout from SDSR2015 is another change to the IOT course length (cut to 24 weeks). See here. Sorry, don't have a Times account so link only shows the first few lines of the article, but it suggests the new course structure could begin in April this year.

Only a rumour at this stage (unless serving chaps know differently), but something else to consider for all those planning a journey on the RAF commissioning route.

There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction. - Winston Churchill

If you subscribe to this opinion, you could be forgiven for thinking the RAF isn't totally sure what output it actually wants from RAFC. Either that, or is being forced to address legacy recruiting policies which have caused all sorts of manning issues and potential problems with professional course scheduling. Who knows?

Comments on pprune are particularly scathing about it.
Seems fine for the 2-winged master race, but the rest of the officer population are better off for the longer course.
Original post by Drewski
Comments on pprune are particularly scathing about it.
Seems fine for the 2-winged master race, but the rest of the officer population are better off for the longer course.

Do you know what elements they have cut from IOT to make it 24 weeks?
Reply 9
Original post by Anderson134353

No, but at a guess it would be term 3 elements like BAWC.

They haven't...

...yet.

IOT is an interesting beast, and now produces all singing all dancing young officers from the outset (and some who graduate apparently thinking they are senior Flt Lts and Sqn Ldrs!:wink: and maybe relying less on the traditional years of development post-grad.

BAWC for example was not previously included and may be considered an unnecessary extravagance (for example why was the time spent on IOT when, for the longest training stream - pilot - they are unlikely to be near the FL proper for 3 years and almost certainly will have opportunities to fit such a case in elsewhere). The external academic elements may also be under scrutiny -or at least should be - as they obviously cost money. Portsmouth have the contract but I don't know when it is next up for tender. Again, it come down to whether you want a Rolls Royce graduate of RAFC or a promising young officer with a little still to learn, which they will do in their respective Phase 2 training and first postings.

It should also be noted the current iteration of the course was designed as IOTs were getting smaller, about 10 years ago now. Now to meet the projected numbers they'll need to get through OASC (Capita too?) and IOT compromises may need to be made. Just the same as every other training course and syllabus.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11

Mate, it's a newspaper article - it may represent reality, or it may just have been a potential policy option that someone overheard in a crewroom, and leaked to Murdoch's flagship. If it does firm up, then I'm sure OASC candidates will be the first to hear about the revised structure.

One thing I learnt in an extensive RAF career was always to expect the unexpected. Latterly, the phrase 'dislocation of expectation' became quite common currency - it's a concept all military recruits should become familiar with (and yes, that includes IOT). Retaining a degree of flexibility and not planning your future to the nth degree, is the best advice I could give you :smile:

Drewski mate, you going to give it another shot? They treated you so badly before, you should get a free pass to an EFT course of your choosing - I see Ascent are proposing some epic looking trainers with proper glass cockpits and everything. Gucci.
Reply 12
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
IOT is an interesting beast, and now produces all singing all dancing young officers from the outset (and some who graduate apparently thinking they are senior Flt Lts and Sqn Ldrs!:wink: and maybe relying less on the traditional years of development post-grad.

Fritz, very good points there! I didn't really see much of the product of the fuller IOT before I retired, which from what you say, is probably just as well.

It always used to the accepted position that a newly graduated JO (non aircrew) would defer to his/her section SNCO / JNCO (the WO probably wouldn't even notice it's presence!) Aircrew Bloggs would learn quickly to respect their instructors and Sqn experience - any attitude would provoke a career limiting response.

You cannot 'learn' how to be a fully rounded Officer or airman on a training course, no matter how long it is. You progress by applying basic knowledge furnished on the course, and listening carefully to those with the experience once you hit your first unit. If you make mistakes, so be it, learn from them.

If the current IOT equips JOs to walk straight into a joint or multi national COC, then brilliant. Having spoken to several serving mates over the holidays, it appears that lifestyle is wearing very thin, and is helping to drive many towards the exit.

All good news for the kids eager to join, but if I were one (haha), I'd be asking some very pointed questions about life beyond Cranwell and the glossy brochures and edgy videos.
Ikaruss - the 120TP is awesome...

...but of course we'll artificially limit it to FL100 (no Oxygen system), not have the bang seats etc... We'll probably even wire lock the landing gear!

I think anyone looking from the re-branch to pilot from another Officer branch - or dare I say it, from the Army or Navy (I've, doesn't need a full IOT) - may be onto a winner (providing OASC can cope).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
Ikaruss - the 120TP is awesome...

...but of course we'll artificially limit it to FL100 (no Oxygen system), not have the bang seats etc... We'll probably even wire lock the landing gear!

I think anyone looking from the re-branch to pilot from another Officer branch - or dare I say it, from the Army or Navy (I've, doesn't need a full IOT) - may be onto a winner (providing OASC can cope).

Mate, it really does sound awesome for those committing aviation - I just hope there are enough of them around the country, so that kids across the UK (whatever that looks like) can see RAF planes and wonder at the 20 minuters!

Watching JPs flying round the Linton circuit like flies, got me hooked when I wore shorts back in the day.
Original post by Ikaruss
Watching JPs flying round the Linton circuit like flies, got me hooked when I wore shorts back in the day.

Original post by Ikaruss
Drewski mate, you going to give it another shot? They treated you so badly before, you should get a free pass to an EFT course of your choosing - I see Ascent are proposing some epic looking trainers with proper glass cockpits and everything. Gucci.

It was Tucanos over my house everyday that did it for me, and the odd helicopter into the nearby barracks (or, indeed, my School). Luckily I wasn't wearing shorts though.
Sadly, my time didn't quite have the longevity I'd hoped for.

Hey Ikky. As a mere blunty the EFT courses were of little interest to me, so any imminent changes doesn't alter that. I have toyed with the reserves - the one near me is supposed to be pretty good - but I'm currently in nowhere near good enough shape to get in.
Original post by Ikaruss
Mate, it's a newspaper article - it may represent reality, or it may just have been a potential policy option that someone overheard in a crewroom, and leaked to Murdoch's flagship. If it does firm up, then I'm sure OASC candidates will be the first to hear about the revised structure.

One thing I learnt in an extensive RAF career was always to expect the unexpected. Latterly, the phrase 'dislocation of expectation' became quite common currency - it's a concept all military recruits should become familiar with (and yes, that includes IOT). Retaining a degree of flexibility and not planning your future to the nth degree, is the best advice I could give you :smile:

IOT is being cut down. I have friends starting on IOT 44 in January. Their Term 2 and 3 are cut to 8 weeks.
Reply 17
IOT is being cut down. I have friends starting on IOT 44 in January. Their Term 2 and 3 are cut to 8 weeks.
Oh I see, well that seems like pretty reliable gen then! If your pals know that the course is truncated as of now, have they told you what elements are being cut?
Original post by Ikaruss
Oh I see, well that seems like pretty reliable gen then! If your pals know that the course is truncated as of now, have they told you what elements are being cut?

They haven't been told what is being cut.

New format of IOT will be (From IOT45 onwards):

Term 1: 8wks
1 wks leave
Term 2: 8wks
1 wks leave
Term 3: 8wks

I guess the fun stuff may have been removed?
They haven't been told what is being cut.

New format of IOT will be (From IOT45 onwards):

Term 1: 8wks
1 wks leave
Term 2: 8wks
1 wks leave
Term 3: 8wks

I guess the fun stuff may have been removed?

There was fun stuff?

At a guess it would be BAWC and carousel (we've got no stations for them to visit now anyway).

What happened to the 2/3 week leave idea?

Quick Reply

Latest