Turn on thread page Beta

Reducing migrate problems watch

ReputationRep:
    What problems would be reduced if migration was reduced or stopped?

ReputationRep:
    No idea - but I know some problems that would be made worse.

ReputationRep:
    Less new housing required, less expansion of public services and less population growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    No idea - but I know some problems that would be made worse.
    Which ones?

ReputationRep:
    Employing people and business growth. According to the latest stats despite being able to stop them, around 200,000 non-EU migrants came to the UK in the last year. They certainly don't seem to be twiddling their thumbs. Recruitment for some skills is difficult at best. Migration is about the only way to recruit. That or shut the business down and move it out of the country.

The right wing tabloids have done a brilliant job of painting a picture of the migrant as an no hope looser bent on sucking as many benefits out of the country as possible whilst doing nothing. The reality is far from this. Sure, there are challenges associated with population change and growth, but certainly nothing like the papers would portray.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot actually, just think about those people who're working on countries far from their own. Plus the students who're acquiring education abroad. The possibilities of more innovations might also be halted. And so much more. May I ask why you've some up with such a question?

ReputationRep:
    Less crime statistically.
    Less ethnic change (stronger white position in society).
    Less spouses who don't do a days work in their life.
    Less Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What problems would be reduced if migration was reduced or stopped?
    Only the BNP want migration stopped.

UKIP simply want all migrants to fit criteria that the country wants or needs, this is called controlled migration.

Under this system criteria could be that you earn a certain amount, have particular qualifications, have an offer to do a particular job, speak English etc.

Basically it's the only system that makes sense.

We would still have loads of migrants coming in but instead of it literally being an amount of people that is the equivalent to the population of Manchester each year it would drop to about 300,000 per year or 100,000 net

You simply can't enforce this system whilst being a member of the EU.

Hopefully that clears it up for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumpyDumpy)
    There's a lot actually, just think about those people who're working on countries far from their own. Plus the students who're acquiring education abroad. The possibilities of more innovations might also be halted. And so much more. May I ask why you've some up with such a question?
    Given there is hostility to migrants, I thought it would be relevant to find out what specific problems migrants bring up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Less Muslims.
    Would you encourage more migration from mainly white Christian countries e.g. Poland, Romania and less from mainly non white countries non Christian e,g. Indian, Syria?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Would you encourage more migration from mainly white Christian countries e.g. Poland, Romania and less from mainly non white countries non Christian e,g. Indian, Syria?
    Pretty much. I don't mind high immigration, I just want immigrants that I consider 'one of us'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)

UKIP simply want all migrants to fit criteria that the country wants or needs, this is called controlled migration.

Under this system criteria could be that you earn a certain amount, have particular qualifications, have an offer to do a particular job, speak English etc.

We would still have loads of migrants coming in but instead of it literally being an amount of people that is the equivalent to the population of Manchester each year it would drop to about 300,000 per year or 100,000 net

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its worth pointing out that Ukip want net migration of no more than 50,000 and actually if we stopped non-EU migration, we'd have net emigration even with free movement in Europe.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why should a political party determine what qualifications or job prospects a migrant has?

Isn't that like a communist command economy which would be at odds with a libertarian party like UKIP?

Isn't that up to the free market to determine what jobs migrants should do?

ReputationRep:
    Its worth pointing out that Ukip want net migration of no more than 50,000 and actually if we stopped non-EU migration, we'd have net emigration even with free movement in Europe.
    1. Farage said 50,000 on a tv interview as a figure before the eu expanded.

2. No one said anything about stopping migration

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why should a political party determine what qualifications or job prospects a migrant has?

Isn't that like a communist command economy which would be at odds with a libertarian party like UKIP?

Isn't that up to the free market to determine what jobs migrants should do?
    So you think no migration rules and let the market decide?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Less Muslims.
    The third point is a good thing. I certainly have more respect for housewifes than I do for the feminist pink-haired tattooed freaks.

ReputationRep:
    So you think no migration rules and let the market decide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think UKIP is a libertarian party or not?

ReputationRep:
    1. Farage said 50,000 on a tv interview as a figure before the eu expanded.

2. No one said anything about stopping migration

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its the figure Ukip's migration commission would be limited to were they ever in government, essentially a cap. He said so clearly on the Daily Politics pre election.

My point was that we don't need to leave the EU if you want low migration.

ReputationRep:
    Its the figure Ukip's migration commission would be limited to were they ever in government, essentially a cap. He said so clearly on the Daily Politics pre election.

My point was that we don't need to leave the EU if you want low migration.
    He didn't say that at all he said those were the net figures pre eu expansion.
    He categorically did not say it was a cap and it was just something that we should work towards.

I saw the program (I watch it every day) I'm an ex UKIP member and campaigner I know the manifesto inside out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Do you think UKIP is a libertarian party or not?
    I think if you are asking this question you don't understand real politics very well.

None of the major parties prescribe to the polices that are true to their supposed ideals because they all want to be moderate to catch votes.

Using UKIP as an example you tend to get three types of voters.

The old (usually a bit racist in their views but also looking for conservative.type policies)

The working class voter who simply wants controlled migration and sovereignty.

The young who typically vote UKIP because they believe in the economic case and sovereignty.

I know this having canvassed thousands of people for the party.

Sure not all of their voters fit in those three categories but most do.

With this in mind all three sets of voters want different kinds of policies hence why they aren't truly libertarian and the same kinds of explanation explain the other three main parties policies too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.