The Student Room Group

Mature student Self-teaching A-level Edexcel Maths. HELP!

I'm a mature person with the age of 22 years and have decided to self-teach A-Level Maths (Edexcel). Any tips on learning all the Core Modules? I currently use a CGP Complete Revision guide and the website 'ExamSolutions' to get a general idea of each topic then attempt past papers, but have been having trouble working out what questions really want you to figure out! Any help would be appreciated! Also are the any recommendations of textbooks to get?
Reply 1
Original post by Philip-flop
I'm a mature person with the age of 22 years and have decided to self-teach A-Level Maths (Edexcel). Any tips on learning all the Core Modules? I currently use a CGP Complete Revision guide and the website 'ExamSolutions' to get a general idea of each topic then attempt past papers, but have been having trouble working out what questions really want you to figure out! Any help would be appreciated! Also are the any recommendations of textbooks to get?

How long ago did you start and what was your GCSE grade in maths please?
Original post by TeeEm
How long ago did you start and what was your GCSE grade in maths please?

I started Core1 properly half way through September after recapping a few things from GCSE, I've started learning Core 2 now but am still having a bit of trouble with what questions are asking. I got a grade B in GCSE Maths without putting in any work what so ever for 2 years! Would rarely turn up to Maths lessons as I ended up getting stuck in 2nd set but found the work we were doing too easy!

Thanks for your rapid response btw!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I started Core1 properly half way through September after recapping a few things from GCSE, I've started learning Core 2 now but am still having a bit of trouble with what questions are asking. I got a grade B in GCSE Maths without putting in any work what so ever for 2 years! Would rarely turn up to Maths lessons as I ended up getting stuck in 2nd set but found the work we were doing too easy!

Thanks for your rapid response btw!!

I would advice you to give it a bit more time until you finish C1 and start practising the whole module.
Mathematics starts at A level and bears little relation to "GCSE so called mathematics".
The work you have to put in is very high for this level (GSCE maths requires no work for above average ability students)
All the best
Original post by TeeEm
I would advice you to give it a bit more time until you finish C1 and start practising the whole module.
Mathematics starts at A level and bears little relation to "GCSE so called mathematics".
The work you have to put in is very high for this level (GSCE maths requires no work for above average ability students)
All the best

Yeah I'm trying not to rush myself too much! I understand the concepts but still have trouble knowing what concepts to apply with some questions. Are there aany text books that you recommend?

Thanks again!
Reply 5
Yeah I'm trying not to rush myself too much! I understand the concepts but still have trouble knowing what concepts to apply with some questions. Are there aany text books that you recommend?

Thanks again!

there is no magical book
I would use a combination of textbooks with the standard Pearson (heinman) textbook as one of them.
you may find for some topics one book has better examples or is better explained
key thing is to do practically every exercise in the book at this stage and give it time
I'd use the Pearson books in combination the solutions from the Physicsandmathstutor website if I had to teach it to myself outside of school. If you ever get stuck you can also post here and TeeEm or someone else will help you!

Quick Reply

Latest