Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend is a really strong Christian and although she's liked one of her best friends for ages and he likes her back, she says they can't go out because it says in the Bible that Christians aren't allowed to go out with non-believers. She says even if he converted it wouldn't be allowed because it's "missionary dating"! I'm not really religious but I know a bit about Christianity and I'd never heard of this rule before. I think she's being a bit unfair because you can't just cut yourself off from other people just because they don't believe the same things you do! What do other people think about this? Can any Christians shed some light on the situation? Would you do the same?

ReputationRep:
    erm sound rather sad to me

ReputationRep:
    The Bible says you can't do a lot of things. I think >90% of practising Christians would go out with a non-believer.

ReputationRep:
    The Bible prohibits the eating of Pork if you read it carefully enough (Leviticus 11:7) but not many Christians seem to care about that.

You are quite right.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've never heard of that one before either. In practice, Christians are allowed to marry non-believers, so I really don't get that!

It probably is one of those teachings that many people choose to read in context, and dismiss it as not applying to modern society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    The Bible prohibits the eating of Pork if you read it carefully enough (Leviticus 11:2) but not many Christians seem to care about that.
    Ahem,

Leviticus 11:7 I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    My friend is a really strong Christian and although she's liked one of her best friends for ages and he likes her back, she says they can't go out because it says in the Bible that Christians aren't allowed to go out with non-believers. She says even if he converted it wouldn't be allowed because it's "missionary dating"! I'm not really religious but I know a bit about Christianity and I'd never heard of this rule before. I think she's being a bit unfair because you can't just cut yourself off from other people just because they don't believe the same things you do! What do other people think about this? Can any Christians shed some light on the situation? Would you do the same?
    Tell your friend she needs a life.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite religious and there is warnings against having relationships with non-chritians in the old testament, I think in the story about samson and Delilah. However the New testament takes precedent as that is about the birth of christianity and it is not mentioned in that and I think the feeling is that as long as the other person isn't actively against christianity it's alright. And those who are telling your friend to get a life should respect her believe, not merely dismiss it or think she's sad as you don't agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    The Bible also says you must not get your hair cut.

ReputationRep:
    Is that not in the old testament though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safc26)
    Is that not in the old testament though?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    well new testament has precedence, so follow what is in new testament, like in old testament it says 'eye for an eye etc' but 'love thy enemies' in new, and we follow the latter, so that's the point i'm trying to make and that is what is in the new testament not old testamen, not that we completely ignore the old testament however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safc26)
    well new testament has precedence, so follow what is in new testament, like in old testament it says 'eye for an eye etc' but 'love thy enemies' in new, and we follow the latter, so that's the point i'm trying to make and that is what is in the new testament not old testamen, not that we completely ignore the old testament however
    In the New Testament it doesn't say anywhere that it's alright to get a hair-cut. (as far as I'm aware) Hence, since the NT does not give guidance on this, surely you have to look to the OT for guidance on that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    In the New Testament it doesn't say anywhere that it's alright to get a hair-cut. (as far as I'm aware) Hence, since the NT does not give guidance on this, surely you have to look to the OT for guidance on that...
    Alternatively you could claim that the old testament is effectively void in the presence of the new one (yes I know I know....)

Basicly it boils down to your interpretation. How do you evaluate the sentence "Thou shall not kill!"? What about self defence? What if teh person is suffering? What if the person wants you to kill him? Ambigious problems is a feature of every written work and so it depends on the reader as much as the text.

ReputationRep:
    1. Non-believers
    2nd Corinthians 6:14- "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" 15"And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?" 16"And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people." 17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Need I say more?
    2. Hair
    Samson was not to cut his hair because he took the vow of the Nazarite. He had great strenght because he was to deliver Israel from the Phillistines (present day Palestine). He lost his strength when he sinned by breaking his promise to God.

3. Old Testament V. New Testament
    Every thing that is contained within the old testament was meant to point to Christ's coming. Anything in the old testament that is still relavent is also contained in the new testament, it is just worded differently.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any Christians who would do the same as her? I might have made her sound like a bit of a freak but she isn't. And she was voted most popular girl in our year, she's not a patterned-jumper wearing sandals with socks type. It's not that strange - I mean aren't Jews and Muslims only allowed to have relationships with people of their own religion? Maybe she's just using it as an excuse because she actually finds him really minging, I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any Christians who would do the same as her? I might have made her sound like a bit of a freak but she isn't. And she was voted most popular girl in our year, she's not a patterned-jumper wearing sandals with socks type. It's not that strange - I mean aren't Jews and Muslims only allowed to have relationships with people of their own religion? Maybe she's just using it as an excuse because she actually finds him really minging, I dunno.
    She is making the right choice, wheter she is doing it for the right reasons is beyond my realm of expertise. If I were in here shoes, I would try to do what she is doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    She is making the right choice, wheter she is doing it for the right reasons is beyond my realm of expertise. If I were in here shoes, I would try to do what she is doing.
    I really respect her for it because I know she does like him and she finds it really hard. I just think that acting like that doesn't really give Christians a good reputation - it's as if they think they're too good for the rest of us!

ReputationRep:
    I really respect her for it because I know she does like him and she finds it really hard. I just think that acting like that doesn't really give Christians a good reputation - it's as if they think they're too good for the rest of us!
    If you read the verses that I posted earlier, it says exactly that. Christians are better than non-christians. We choose to follow God, and everybody else, either through apathy or out and out denile, chooses to burn in hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    If you read the verses that I posted earlier, it says exactly that. Christians are better than non-christians. We choose to follow God, and everybody else, either through apathy or out and out denile, chooses to burn in hell.
    Fair enough. But surely if you carry on like that, you'll just slowly die out?! I mean, only dating within you faith means the pool is getting smaller and smaller as the number of Christians diminishes.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.