Turn on thread page Beta

Christians dating non-believers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    Fair enough. But surely if you carry on like that, you'll just slowly die out?! I mean, only dating within you faith means the pool is getting smaller and smaller as the number of Christians diminishes.
    The number of Christians doesn't diminish that much. The pool is ever expanding even if the pool stayed the same it would be very nearly physically imposible to actual reach a point where the only type of breeding that could take place is inbreeding. And, as it was pointed out earlier, many chrisitians do not always follow god's word and are thus married to unbelievers.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. But surely if you carry on like that, you'll just slowly die out?! I mean, only dating within you faith means the pool is getting smaller and smaller as the number of Christians diminishes.
    You may want to reconsidder that statement after noticing the fact that humans date only other humans. Surely if the number of Humans on the planet can increase without Humans mating outside of our species then the number of Christians should be able to increase without Christians mating outside of the religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    The number of Christians doesn't diminish that much. The pool is ever expanding even if the pool stayed the same it would be very nearly physically imposible to actual reach a point where the only type of breeding that could take place is inbreeding. And, as it was pointed out earlier, many chrisitians do not always follow god's word and are thus married to unbelievers.
    The number of practising Christians in this country has dramatically decreased in this country over the last 50 years. So unless you intend on travelling to Africa to find a mate, how is the pool "ever expanding"? And as for the aforementioned Christians who marry non-believers...aren't they going to hell with the rest of us?!

ReputationRep:
    The number of practising Christians in this country has dramatically decreased in this country over the last 50 years. So unless you intend on travelling to Africa to find a mate, how is the pool "ever expanding"? And as for the aforementioned Christians who marry non-believers...aren't they going to hell with the rest of us?!
    The pool is ever expanding because new people are saved every day, every hour even. The only sin that will send you to hell is disbelief. You can sin your whole life and on your death bed believe in jesus and call out to him to save you and like the theif, you will be with him that hour in paradise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    You may want to reconsidder that statement after noticing the fact that humans date only other humans. Surely if the number of Humans on the planet can increase without Humans mating outside of our species then the number of Christians should be able to increase without Christians mating outside of the religion.
    Yes, ok, that's true. But if you read my first comment, you'll notice I said that this girl won't go out with her friend even if he converts. And as the number of Christians seems to be diminishing, if they are only allowed to mate with those who have been Christian since birth, the pool will diminish also. Unless of course they have 20 children each to make up for the drop-out rate. If mating with converts is allowed, then yes you are correct.

ReputationRep:
    The pool is ever expanding because new people are saved every day, every hour even. The only sin that will send you to hell is disbelief. You can sin your whole life and on your death bed believe in jesus and call out to him to save you and like the theif, you will be with him that hour in paradise.
    Just as new people are saved every day, so others are effectively "lost" every day when they decide Christianity isn't for them. And at the moment the trend seems to be more towards losing than gaining believers. And if the only sin is disbelief, how come my friend, who believes in God 100%, should not go out with her friend the non-believer? Although that is really a different debate entirely...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ok, that's true. But if you read my first comment, you'll notice I said that this girl won't go out with her friend even if he converts. And as the number of Christians seems to be diminishing, if they are only allowed to mate with those who have been Christian since birth, the pool will diminish also. Unless of course they have 20 children each to make up for the drop-out rate. If mating with converts is allowed, then yes you are correct.
    I read that your friend wouldn't date him if she was responsible for his conversion just so she could date him. This would lead to issues about her motives. No one is born a christian. The sinner who is saved at 50 is just as saved as the sinner who is saved at 10.

ReputationRep:
    Just as new people are saved every day, so others are effectively "lost" every day when they decide Christianity isn't for them. And at the moment the trend seems to be more towards losing than gaining believers. And if the only sin is disbelief, how come my friend, who believes in God 100%, should not go out with her friend the non-believer? Although that is really a different debate entirely...
    Disbelief is not the only sin, disbelief is the only sin that will send you to hell. Each person has until God stops asking or they die to accept jesus. If said person does not accept jesus they will burn in hell for all eternity. Once saved, you cannot become unsaved. Your friend can go out with this person but the bible says she should not and thus it would be a sin.

ReputationRep:
    Disbelief is not the only sin, disbelief is the only sin that will send you to hell. Each person has until God stops asking or they die to accept jesus. If said person does not accept jesus they will burn in hell for all eternity. Once saved, you cannot become unsaved. Your friend can go out with this person but the bible says she should not and thus it would be a sin.
    Disbelief the only sin that will send you to hell? Sounds alright to me. So you can just believe in God, do whatever the hell you like whilst still believing, and look forward to heaven at the end of it. Nice.

I think the conversion thing is that she wants him to convert whether she dates him or not cos he's her friend and she cares about him. But then she reckons she still can't date him. Which seems rather strange.

Well anyway, I'm exhausted, and after a few drinks it's harder to put my argument across! Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You're alright jack, you're the one going to heaven after all!

ReputationRep:
    Disbelief the only sin that will send you to hell? Sounds alright to me. So you can just believe in God, do whatever the hell you like whilst still believing, and look forward to heaven at the end of it. Nice.

I think the conversion thing is that she wants him to convert whether she dates him or not cos he's her friend and she cares about him. But then she reckons she still can't date him. Which seems rather strange.

Well anyway, I'm exhausted, and after a few drinks it's harder to put my argument across! Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You're alright jack, you're the one going to heaven after all!
    Keep in mind that a true believer will not desire to spend their life sinning. Belief in God isn'r really enough. You have to believe that he died for your sins to save you, that there is no other way. You have to have a personal relationship with him. The part about not wanting to date him if he is converted is indeed a bit strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safc26)
    I am quite religious and there is warnings against having relationships with non-chritians in the old testament
    Huh? where there any christians around then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Huh? where there any christians around then?
    They weren't called christians. They were just called children of God.

ReputationRep:
    If you read the verses that I posted earlier, it says exactly that. Christians are better than non-christians. We choose to follow God, and everybody else, either through apathy or out and out denile, chooses to burn in hell.
    No I don't get that

Hitler et al - christian therefore will not go to hell.

Ghandi - not a christian therefore will go to hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    No I don't get that

Hitler et al - christian therefore will not go to hell.

Ghandi - not a christian therefore will go to hell.
    I would bet my hat that hitler was not a christian. In fact, by definition hitler was like the anti christ (not literally, figuratively).

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find that he believed in christ and called himself a christian. Anyway you have no problem with Ghandi being in hell?

Also "Children of god" - that refers to Jews doesn't it?

Whatever you call people they couldn't be christians before christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    I think you'll find that he believed in christ and called himself a christian. Anyway you have no problem with Ghandi being in hell?

Also "Children of god" - that refers to Jews doesn't it?

Whatever you call people they couldn't be christians before christ.
    Hitler was not a christian. He actively persecuted god's chosen people. I don't care if he called himself one till he was blue in the face, he wasn't one. Was Ghandi hindu? Yes Children of God mostly refers to Jews. The name doesn't really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Children of God mostly refers to Jews. The name doesn't really doesn't matter.
    so does that mean Jews get to go to heaven? nd who are you to decide who is and who isn't a christian? Surley that's upto the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    so does that mean Jews get to go to heaven? nd who are you to decide who is and who isn't a christian? Surley that's upto the individual.
    I really hesitated to say that he wasn't saved, all I have is the scriputres. Being a christian is between God and each individual sinner. We are all sinners. Although it is possible that he was saved at an early age and then turned his back on God, I just can't bring myself to believe it.

James 2 17-26: "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alon. Yea, a man may say, Thour hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without they works and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe and tremble. But wilt thou know O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the alter? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfact? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed god, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works when she had recieved the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.:

ReputationRep:
    Once saved, you cannot become unsaved. Your friend can go out with this person but the bible says she should not and thus it would be a sin.
    You see this when I deciding which religion I wanted to follow was why I passed over christianity, I do not agree with a religion which says that people who live a good life like doctors (nice ones not bad ones) who save peoples lives on a daily basis. Good people who haven't committed a crime and haven't committed and major "sin" will go to hell purely because they aren't christian. Where as christian (esp catholics) can commit crimes and sins in life and live by all moral standards a good life then repent after the sin and still go to heaven. To mean it just doesn't make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    I read that your friend wouldn't date him if she was responsible for his conversion just so she could date him. This would lead to issues about her motives. No one is born a christian. The sinner who is saved at 50 is just as saved as the sinner who is saved at 10.
    So, supposing at the age of 10 you find out that the Christian God exist and the Bible is right, the smart thing to do would be to enjoy life and sin as much as you want to till you're 50 and only then to start repenting and ask God for forgiveness etc. ?!

After all, you just said it would not make any difference to your level of salvation whether you turn to God at 10 or at 50...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.