(Original post by Speciez99)
    and i dont think its an arguement worth having
    It shouldn't be an argument at all.

Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shift3)
    It shouldn't be an argument at all.

Oh well.
    You are very much correct on that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    The three religions differ significantly, because of their fundamentally different beliefs. Most Christians would not accept that we all worship the same God.
    Surely Christians believe that Jews and Christians worship the same god seeing as the jews were worshiping him first they just have a different oppinion on whether Jesus was his son or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Surely Christians believe that Jews and Christians worship the same god seeing as the jews were worshiping him first they just have a different oppinion on whether Jesus was his son or not.
    Jews and Christians do believe in the same god. Christians look for the second coming and jews look for the first coming that they missed but don't believe they missed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Jews and Christians do believe in the same god. Christians look for the second coming and jews look for the first coming that they missed but don't believe they missed.
    or visa versa it is one of those arguments no one knows who was right or if either group was right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    My friend is a really strong Christian and although she's liked one of her best friends for ages and he likes her back, she says they can't go out because it says in the Bible that Christians aren't allowed to go out with non-believers. She says even if he converted it wouldn't be allowed because it's "missionary dating"! I'm not really religious but I know a bit about Christianity and I'd never heard of this rule before. I think she's being a bit unfair because you can't just cut yourself off from other people just because they don't believe the same things you do! What do other people think about this? Can any Christians shed some light on the situation? Would you do the same?
    I've skipped most of the thread so pardon me if this has already been asked. Which denomination of a Christian is she?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Sorry, that was very much an oversight on my part. Christians ad Jews believe in the same God, but as to whether this is the same God as the Muslims? It raises one important question: if it is not, then which religion(s) is/are right, as it can't be all three.

Also, with regards to Samura: why did you disregard my points and continue to argue the same wrong points. I tried to set the record straight as far as Christianity is concerned, and you ignored the facts. You're arguing points that you and Moncal fundamentally disagree on-nothing you say will convince him that Jesus was only a prophet and not the son of God. Try to argue for Islam rather than against Christianity. It won't work otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, it is a historical fact that Jesus of Nazareth claimed to be God. And he is.
    Where does it say that?

Oh have you ever heard of Messianic Jews? They are Jews who believe Jesus is/was the messiah but still follow Jewish tradition about food, and cellebrate Jewish festivals.

And how can you say Allah is not the same as God? If you translated the word 'God' into arabic what word would you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Where does it say that?

Oh have you ever heard of Messianic Jews? They are Jews who believe Jesus is/was the messiah but still follow Jewish tradition about food, and cellebrate Jewish festivals.

And how can you say Allah is not the same as God? If you translated the word 'God' into arabic what word would you use?
    It is good to hear that all Jews are not blind to the truth. Translation has nothing to do with it. It is like saying that Ares is Tyr because they are both gods of war in somebody's version of mythology.

ReputationRep:
    It is good to hear that all Jews are not blind to the truth. Translation has nothing to do with it. It is like saying that Ares is Tyr because they are both gods of war in somebody's version of mythology.
    So what word would you use to translate the word 'God'?

Translation has a lot to do with it. Isn't that what caused all the trouble with Martin Luther?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

Translation has a lot to do with it. Isn't that what caused all the trouble with Martin Luther?
    I don't speak arabic, so I don't know how I would translate it. Two things can not be considered the same if they are different unless you believe God to be skitzophrenic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

The "Martin Luther trouble" was that he looked in the bible and he couldn't find all the things that the Catholic Church was doing, such as selling forgiveness.

ReputationRep:
    I don't speak arabic, so I don't know how I would translate it. Two things can not be considered the same if they are different unless you believe God to be skitzophrenic.
    No what I'm saying is the English word God, is usually translated as 'Allah' in arabic. You reject this totally but do not offer an alternative or an explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I've skipped most of the thread so pardon me if this has already been asked. Which denomination of a Christian is she?
    I wouldn't worry about skipping the thread as most of it has gone quite a bit away from the original subject! But I did say earlier that she's a baptist. She became one about 3 or 4 years ago, strangely enough after going out with another baptist who converted her. I saw the bloke she likes in the pub last night and he told me he's going to church with her today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    I really respect her for it because I know she does like him and she finds it really hard. I just think that acting like that doesn't really give Christians a good reputation - it's as if they think they're too good for the rest of us!
    I really have to say that I don't respect her decision. She should put what she thinks over what some book details.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, it is a historical fact that Jesus of Nazareth claimed to be God. And he is.
    I don't agree as I am an atheist.

But I think also that many Christians would disagree with that.

I thought that Jesus was the son of God, not God himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    No what I'm saying is the English word God, is usually translated as 'Allah' in arabic. You reject this totally but do not offer an alternative or an explanation.
    thats what i'm talking about

ALLAH MEANS GOD SO WHY DO U NOT EXECPT THIS? ITS JUST A TRANSLATION

JESUS NEVER EVER CLAIMED TO BE GOD AND YES WE BELIEVE IN THE SECOND COMMING OF JESUS. BUT JESUS WAS NEVER PUT ON THE CROSS
    A LIKENESS OF HIM WAS PUT ON THE CROSS. JESUS IS A PROPHET OF GOD WHY WOULD GOD DO THIS TO HIM IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE
    AND JESUS IS NOOT GOD HE IS THE MESSIAH A PROPHET OF GOD THERE IS A MISINTERPRETATION BY CHRISTIANS BECAUSE HE WAS GIVEN SPEACIL POWERS TO RASIES THE DEAD AND CURE THE ILL AND GIVE A BLIND PERSON SIGHT(AS SAID IN TH QUR'AN AND THE GOSPEL)
    JUST AS JEWS DISBELIEVED CHRISTAINS DISBELIEVED AND YES THERE IS A SECOND COMMING OF JESUS I BELEVE THAT

I THINK YOU SOULD READ THE BIBLE CLOSELY AS MANY CHRISTAINS DO NOT FOLLOW THEIR OWN RELIGON AS YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO EAT PORK BUT YOU STILL DO WHY???
    AND THE THING I WAS SAYING ABOUT THE TWO DIFFERENT BIBLES I DONT MEAN IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES I MEAN NO TWO BIBLES WRITTEN IN ENGLIH ARE THE SAME.

AND IF YOU CAN FIND THE ORIGINAL BIBLE IT SAYS THAT THERE WILL BE A PROPHET COMMING AFTER JESUS CALLED AHMED THE REASON BEHIND THE NAME I DON'T KNOW WHY(ABOUT THE NAME)

JESUS IS NOT GOD AND ALLAH MEANS GOD

PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTIONS CORRECTLY

AND ANOTHER THING PLEASE RAED THE BIBLE I MEAN EVERY BIBLE YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AND ONE TELLS A DIFFERENT STORY TO ANOTHER

THE QUR'AN TALKS ABOUT THE BIBLE AND THE TORAH AND HOW THEY WERE CHANGED BUT STILL CONTAIN THE WORD OF ALLAH/GOD
    THE BIBLE IS SO MUCH LIKE THE KORAN AS WE BELIEVE IN THE SAME PROPHETS LIKE NOAH,LOT,JESUS,ABRAHAM,MOSES,ADA M (MAY PEACE BE UPON THEM ALL) E.T.C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    My alternative explanation is that if you translate God into allah then you run the risk of confuscing Him with the islamic "deity" whose name is never translated from allah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    I really have to say that I don't respect her decision. She should put what she thinks over what some book details.
    What she thinks is that what the Bible details is the way she should live her life. It might be hard to understand if you're not a christian (I'm not) but this is what she believes. I respect the way she is able to follow the religion completely rather than just choosing the rules she wants to follow.

ReputationRep:
    My alternative explanation is that if you translate God into allah then you run the risk of confuscing Him with the islamic "deity" whose name is never translated from allah.
    yeah cos the whole world apart from you accept that allah is just another name for god

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.