The Student Room Group

What do Oxbridge look for?

What is it that appeals to an admissions tutor in regard to personal statements and interviews? Do they consider personality, grades or look at ticking boxes? I'm interested to know because I would like to apply to Cambridge, and considering the fact that I am not from an upper-class background or privately educated I feel I would be at a disadvantage; I have heard from numerous people that they also consider background, ie, family income, area, school?
Being working class will not in itself count against you, the only thing you need to be wary of is that prestigious schools probably teach better interview technique and know how you should tailor yourself to them, but this can be learned and there is no old boy's club anymore.
You would not be at a disadvantage - there are plenty of state-educated, non-upper class students at Cambridge :smile: Just go for it if you have the grades and appropriate UMS marks at AS levels!

Generally speaking, Cambridge tutors would be looking for things like:

- teachability (i.e. not a 'know-it-all')
- someone who will suit the supervision system
- natural/raw intelligence
- ability to think outside the box
- ability to think on one's feet
- ability to change/mould ideas according to new information
- eager to learn
- aptitude for the subject in question

They are not looking for the finished, polished product, or only for someone who fits the crude media stereotypes of what a Cambridge student is like (e.g. like what you were saying about upper-class and privately-educated). So don't worry about all that! :smile:
Original post by BestBehaviour
Being working class will not in itself count against you, the only thing you need to be wary of is that prestigious schools probably teach better interview technique and know how you should tailor yourself to them, but this can be learned and there is no old boy's club anymore.

My mum is a careers advisor so my interview techniques are already pretty decent but I'll definitely refine them more once I have applied, thanks :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You would not be at a disadvantage - there are plenty of state-educated, non-upper class students at Cambridge :smile: Just go for it if you have the grades and appropriate UMS marks at AS levels!

Generally speaking, Cambridge tutors would be looking for things like:

- teachability (i.e. not a 'know-it-all':wink:
- someone who will suit the supervision system
- natural/raw intelligence
- ability to think outside the box
- ability to think on one's feet
- ability to change/mould ideas according to new information
- eager to learn
- aptitude for the subject in question

They are not looking for the finished, polished product, or only for someone who fits the crude media stereotypes of what a Cambridge student is like (e.g. like what you were saying about upper-class and privately-educated). So don't worry about all that! :smile:

Thank you very much! I'm passionate about my subject area and ok under pressure but I'll have a look at improving some of those other skills. I'm really glad that what I've heard is a generalisation :biggrin:
No problem - happy to help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending