Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IS AQA Alevel maths harder or OCR and Edexcel watch

ReputationRep:
    Or are they the same kettle of fish?
    I have seen a different standard in each one of these examination boards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)

Edexcel is hardist

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Edexcel is by far the easiest, so our teachers are planning on moving boards for next year. Unfortunatly, it won't help those of us who have already begun our course with OCR.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure people aren't going to be objective with this, they're just going to choose whichever board they happen to be on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    Apparently Edexcel is by far the easiest, so our teachers are planning on moving boards for next year. Unfortunatly, it won't help those of us who have already begun our course with OCR.
    NO edexcel AS is relatively easy but at A-level its by far the hardest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    I'm sure people aren't going to be objective with this, they're just going to choose whichever board they happen to be on!
    I'm with AQA spec B and have seen Ed Excel and find it kind of easy..Any teacher i've asked has said AQA maths units tend to be classic maths.

ReputationRep:
    from the looks of the P3 papers on wednesday OCR seemed to be found to be more difficult than edexcel (but it was a biatch of a paper, worse than any past ones)

our college looks like it's going to change from OCR to AQA cos the teachers think that the stats bit is better- S1 is more interesting and S2 isn't so stupidly hard

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Like zazy, I do AQA Spec B, and speaking to people on other boards it seems easier, although the AS Further Maths that I'm doing is difficult (particularly M4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    who here has actually done all 3 boards

ReputationRep:
    Surely nobody? You're not allowed to.

i did OCR AS maths..... and it was ok because they have specific textbooks written for OCR/MEI but I dropped it so not sure what a2 is like ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    well done,

You beat me to it!!

I was just about to say exactly the same thing.

How can anyone comment? except maybe a teacher.

Although my physics teacher says we do Edexcel physics because it is harder and some uni's will respects that if forced to decide between candidates.

Personally I thinks that is biassed and bull.

No one can comment. and teachers are biased.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR further maths and find it ok, challenging at times, but ok. I haven't seen AQA, but I have seen Edexcel papers, and they seem a lot easier than the content in comparitive OCR modules.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever heard that OCR MEI is the hardest exam board :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBR50)
    well done,

You beat me to it!!

I was just about to say exactly the same thing.

How can anyone comment? except maybe a teacher.

Although my physics teacher says we do Edexcel physics because it is harder and some uni's will respects that if forced to decide between candidates.

Personally I thinks that is biassed and bull.

No one can comment. and teachers are biased.
    actually... I'll change what I just said...

Why not look at the statistics... see the percentage of A's and stuff for each exam board. It won't tell you the hardest, but it will tell you the easiest to get a high mark on. (i.e. one course may be really hard.. but have low boundaries)

ReputationRep:
    looking at the p3 edexcel paper for this year, i'd say the ocr one was a bit harder.

OCR are generally known as a good quality/high standards board (whereas AQA gives me the impression of a slightly easier exam.)

The best way to judge it is to see what board the majority of schools use, as they tend to go for the ones that have the lowest grade boundaries.

But at least we all know which exam board makes the most mistakes by a mile *cough*edexcel*cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonas123)
    looking at the p3 edexcel paper for this year, i'd say the ocr one was a bit harder.

OCR are generally known as a good quality/high standards board (whereas AQA gives me the impression of a slightly easier exam.)

The best way to judge it is to see what board the majority of schools use, as they tend to go for the ones that have the lowest grade boundaries.

But at least we all know which exam board makes the most mistakes by a mile *cough*edexcel*cough*
    heee..ya i agree with you
    i've seen OCR paper before and i found edexecl is a bit easier than OCR.

ReputationRep:
    Our college changed to OCR maths the year we started, before that they did edexcel and before that was AQA, after doing practise questions from AQA and edexcel n then sitting a real OCR one i found OCR to be the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a difference between 'OCR' and 'OCR - MEI' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Me, and everyone else that voted. why would anyone vote if they hadn't tried all three? lol...

That's quite a silly question, as people (like I did) are just going to vote for their own examining board so that when they get a high mark they can claim they're better than other people. Trust me, they're all moderated so no one is easier or harder than the others.

And if you think they are, maybe it's because you're bad at one's specification and good at the others... you're not the average person then. :confused:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.