The Student Room Group

Recorded telephone conversation at banks

Hi,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if virgin bank would record a telephone conversation I had with them when I rang up one of their branches? Is it possible to have a copy of that recording?

thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Simonthegreat

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if virgin bank would record a telephone conversation I had with them when I rang up one of their branches? Is it possible to have a copy of that recording?

Unlikely for a branch call to have it recorded I reckon.

And no, you would need a court order to obtain a copy.
Original post by Reue
Unlikely for a branch call to have it recorded I reckon.

And no, you would need a court order to obtain a copy.

Thanks. Why would I need a court order to hear the conversation between myself and my branch? It is just to sort out a dispute.
Reply 3
Thanks. Why would I need a court order to hear the conversation between myself and my branch? It is just to sort out a dispute.

Because I cant see any reason why you would be otherwise entitled to it.
I'm sure if you needed to sort things out you'd just tell the Head office the time, date and person you spoke to (they usually introduce themselves when they start speaking to you) - talk about the brief nature of the dispute and then they should take it from there. I doubt you'll be able to listen to it yourself, though.
What should i do? The bank has the upper hand.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'm sure if you needed to sort things out you'd just tell the Head office the time, date and person you spoke to (they usually introduce themselves when they start speaking to you) - talk about the brief nature of the dispute and then they should take it from there. I doubt you'll be able to listen to it yourself, though.

The phone conversation was with a branch not head office. So will they record branch phone calls? I really don't get why if it concerns me and my bank , then why I can't hear this convo. How would I prove what they are saying is correct?
The phone conversation was with a branch not head office. So will they record branch phone calls? I really don't get why if it concerns me and my bank , then why I can't hear this convo. How would I prove what they are saying is correct?

Ah right. When you call perhaps ask whether you could be forwarded to the supervisor or the store manager? When speaking to them, just talk about how dissastisfied you are and again, talk about what happeened and when you called. Branches usually say that they use phone recordings for training purposes so it's definitely being stored somewhere. I think if you want the information (phone call) they have on you, you'll need to write a formal letter or something in order to be provided with it.
If they hold a recording, they must provide you with a copy if asked in a formal request
Reply 9
Original post by domonict
If they hold a recording, they must provide you with a copy if asked in a formal request

Do you have a source for this?
Data protection act under a subject access request.

They must provide copies of all documents that pertain to you. That includes emails discussing you and the phone recordings
Hi,

thanks

Sometimes what seems to be a branch is in fact just someone at their call centre. How do you know you called the branch, did you manage to get a local number somehow? That's impossible with many banks now.

If it was recorded, you can obtain it via a thing called a "subject access request" which costs £10. You would get a transcript.
http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?40199-Recorded-telephone-conversations-(Banking)

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

If they didn't record the call, then so be it. They may have though and your first step is to find out if they did. The SAR will do that.

You will need the correct address to send the SAR to. This is probably their bank registered office, which is:

The Data Controller
Virgin Money
Jubilee House
Gosforth
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE3 4PL

You will need to quote your account number and address(es), date of birth and what you are requesting,

Here is a SAR request letter template.
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?190251-Subject-Access-Request-Template-Letter

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by Reue
Do you have a source for this?

It's covered under the DPA (Section 7, 1998) and all banks or other DPA-registered organisations must respond to a subject access request with call transcripts if they only involve you, the person making the request.
http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?32868-recorded-telephone-conversations
Reply 13
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's covered under the DPA (Section 7, 1998) and all banks or other DPA-registered organisations must respond to a subject access request with call transcripts if they only involve you, the person making the request.
http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?32868-recorded-telephone-conversations

Excellent, thanks :smile:
Hi,

thanks

Hello,

Yes the call would have been recorded and you have a legal right to be able to listen to that call.

All you need to do is contact them for it with the date/time/number you called from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest