The Student Room Group

LNAT essay

I managed to conduct this essay in just over 40 minutes. I find the multiple choice okay getting around 26 each attempt so far. My LNAT is in a few days now and I was wondering what I should be focusing on in regards to my essay writing skills.
All feedback will be greatly appericiated! :smile:
How should judges be appointed?
The judicial and legal systems in theUnited Kingdom are said to be encouraging such public influence at present.Examples of this being the jury as well as a public viewing gallery inpractically all courts. The appointment of judges is a confrontational matterinvolving debate over several means, qualities and expertise. At the momentjudges are appointed commonly through application of existing lawyers. Anexception to this however is that of lay magistrates whom are persons of thegeneral public. Any person shouldn’t just be allowed to become a judge without recommendationand a careful, strategic process.
At present there are roughly 106 High Courtjudges. All selected through a variety of means. Is this fair? We are in needof judges, and so forth, we need a fair structured system. The ideal routewould be for a current judge to recommend an existing lawyer to the judiciarywhom with proceed to decide the worthiness. May this be due to strong workethic or a particular specialty in an area of law. This concept promotes rewardfor excellence as well as providing the legal system with a character whom respectsand cherishes the law. Furthermore, an experienced individual can be assumed toaid reforms of law upon judgements is their hearings.
Another alternative is similar to theappointment via recommendation and determination. By means of a Parliamentarydebate and vote. Daily votes and debates occur constantly in the House of Lordsand Commons; so why not the appointment of judges? Considering theseindividuals are the ones that look at the law of the country and reiterate saidlaw in case hearings. This idea, which is favorable to many, is such that aselection of potential candidates’ currently practicing law make theirapplication (similar to applying for silk) and the members of parliamentultimately elect and appoint the judges. Through looking at the experiences,abilities and potentials for the role there is fairness and respects equalityissues. This is both democratic and a reasonable means of recruitment.
In contrary to the ideality of appointingexisting law practitioners, members of the general public may also offer a viewof the law with has potential to be constructive. The UK legal system alreadyuses lay people (juries and magistrates). This has proven successful to adegree, incorporating the best interests of the public to the law. A democraticapproach to the appointment of judges is however contradicting the fairness andjust elements of the law. An example being that 12 members of a jury or 3 laymagistrates may take a much more sympathetic view when determining guilt or insentencing in contrast to a more rigorous, law abiding approach founded byexperts in the field of law.
Appoint a lay member to become a judge canbe deemed as daft, it may become possible for someone who knows very little ofthe law to actually begin to determine and manipulate the law. Thereby we canrule out this means of selection. Moreover, it makes more logical sense toallow the existing legal practitioners to further their respective careers. The‘step up’ from being a hotshot lawyer would seemingly be to seek judgeship. Theway in which judges are appointed should hereby be through means ofrecommendation to the judiciary and a decision in the hands of parliament also.
For starters, your introduction is way too long. You should ideally keep it at 4 lines.
And your conclusion, or the lack thereof... Make sure you paragraph your essay properly.
Reply 2
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
For starters, your introduction is way too long. You should ideally keep it at 4 lines.
And your conclusion, or the lack thereof... Make sure you paragraph your essay properly.

Thank you. What more/less could be said in the conclusion?

Quick Reply