Dropping a subject at AS

Watch
IncogNeo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey Everyone!

I just started sixth form about a month ago and I'm currently doing Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Biology, Chemistry and Psychology don't seem particularly challenging and reading ahead and looking at past exam questions, I can see myself getting great grades in all of them.

Maths however, barely sinks in and I can hardly see myself passing it at AS.
Would it be wise to drop maths now, so I can focus on Biology, Chemistry and Psychology, even though Psychology isn't really looked upon as a good subject at uni so I'd basically have 2 decent A levels (along with some free online courses in criminology and such for ucas points) or should I stick it out and try to just pass all 4?

Tldr: Is it better to have good A levels in Psychology, Chemistry and Biology or just average grades in those three plus maths?

Thanks in advance!

Cloudia_G
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's completely up to you whether or not you want to drop maths. I know plenty of people who didn't actually do well in maths and ended up dropping the subject in A2 anyway. But I know others who had done surprisingly well. To be honest if you feel that it's completely impossible to get a decent grade in maths then drop it but if you think with the hard work you put in you can get a decent grade then just keep it for the UCAS points as there are more and more universities each year who use UCAS points as entry requirements rather than actual grades. But if you feel that it would bring your other subject grades down then perhaps you should drop?

But still the decision is completely up to you and you have ages to decide!
IncogNeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cloudia_G)
It's completely up to you whether or not you want to drop maths. I know plenty of people who didn't actually do well in maths and ended up dropping the subject in A2 anyway. But I know others who had done surprisingly well. To be honest if you feel that it's completely impossible to get a decent grade in maths then drop it but if you think with the hard work you put in you can get a decent grade then just keep it for the UCAS points as there are more and more universities each year who use UCAS points as entry requirements rather than actual grades. But if you feel that it would bring your other subject grades down then perhaps you should drop?

But still the decision is completely up to you and you have ages to decide!
Thank you for the quick response!
Personally, I feel like I don't have ages as leaving it too long wont give me the benefit of having more free periods and such to study for my other subjects.
Is three A levels enough for a decent UNI, and if they do happen to go off grades, would Bio, Chem and Psy be a good set or not varied enough?
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IncogNeo)
Hey Everyone!

I just started sixth form about a month ago and I'm currently doing Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Biology, Chemistry and Psychology don't seem particularly challenging and reading ahead and looking at past exam questions, I can see myself getting great grades in all of them.

Would it be wise to drop maths now, so I can focus on Biology, Chemistry and Psychology, even though Psychology isn't really looked upon as a good subject at uni so I'd basically have 2 decent A levels (along with some free online courses in criminology and such for ucas points) or should I stick it out and try to just pass all 4?

Tldr: Is it better to have good A levels in Psychology, Chemistry and Biology or just average grades in those three plus maths?

Thanks in advance!
Hi!

I did full maths A2, physics, chemistry and biology AS last year and got A*AAA.

What I would recommend is you have a quick think about what you might want to do at university, and then have a look at courses - for example, if you decide to do Chemistry then quite a few need maths - same for biology (AFAIK) and some psychology courses). Furthermore, maths can provide skills which are very well looked upon by employers, and can also help the others - it is very useful for some of the iffy questions in chemistry and biology. If, however, you find that your dream course doesn't need it then you could probably drop it.

One thing I will say is that while the jump from GCSE to AS maths may seem like a lot (lots of people in my class experienced it) it does get okay after a while, you just have to get into the swing of things. Some people in my maths group who at the beginning of the year were really struggling and didn't understand it went on to get As in the full A level in one year - so if it is at all relevant to your course I would recommend you give it a while longer. I would leave it till mock time - if you still don't get it then you might want to drop it, but that will give you an indication of how you are with it while still allowing enough time that it shouldn't affect the others.

- TP2
username944192
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Everyone!

Thanks in advance!
I dropped a subject in AS and then had to take an AS in my A2 year because my uni offers required an extra AS level. I hear that unis now don't require a 4th subject but I've seen that many good unis do so it depends what you are applying for. Also, my sister got Ds in Maths all year and was convinced she would fail but she got an A in Maths as well as straight As in her other AS levels so you might surprise yourself. I would say stick it out until Christmas and see if it clicks; if not, there's nothing to stop you dropping it later really.

Also what are the free courses that get you ucas points? My boyfriend is applying for engineering as a mature student so might be of use to him
Cloudia_G
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for the quick response!
Personally, I feel like I don't have ages as leaving it too long wont give me the benefit of having more free periods and such to study for my other subjects.
Is three A levels enough for a decent UNI, and if they do happen to go off grades, would Bio, Chem and Psy be a good set or not varied enough?
Three A Levels are absolutely fine and that's what most unis look for anyway. The only risk you have at taking three subjects at AS is that you have to stick with them for two years. So if you suddenly got a U in one of your subjects that means you cannot just drop it and you have to retake the whole course in A2. But if you feel very confident with these subjects then that probably won't happen.

Your three remaining A Levels do sound like a good set because they're all science based which would be great for science based courses at unis as you can pretty much choose any course you want with those three subjects together. Universities unless they're the very, very top universities in England don't actually discriminate against subjects anymore. But I suggest you contact your desired universities and ask them if they discriminate the psychology A Level for your desired course?

If this makes you feel any better I had a friend who was taking English Literature, History, Theology and Drama and she hated History and wanted to drop it at A2 however Drama isn't exactly the most respected subject unless you're looking at an arts degree. So she contacted her desired university which was in fact a russell group one and asked them if they would discriminate Drama at which they said they would not. So now they are taking English Literature, Theology, and Drama and are doing really well in their studies!

So just take some time for a week or two to decide what it is that you really want and what would make you most happy because at the end of the day you are studying these courses for two years!

Hope I've helped!
IncogNeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by infairverona)
I dropped a subject in AS and then had to take an AS in my A2 year because my uni offers required an extra AS level. I hear that unis now don't require a 4th subject but I've seen that many good unis do so it depends what you are applying for. Also, my sister got Ds in Maths all year and was convinced she would fail but she got an A in Maths as well as straight As in her other AS levels so you might surprise yourself. I would say stick it out until Christmas and see if it clicks; if not, there's nothing to stop you dropping it later really.

Also what are the free courses that get you ucas points? My boyfriend is applying for engineering as a mature student so might be of use to him
Thanks for the response!
This site: https://www.futurelearn.com/
Allows for you to pick courses, in which you do 2-6 hours a week (depending on the course, it tells you on each courses page) for 6-10 weeks and then you get some UCAS points for completing it. I believe if you pay £35 or something along those lines you also get a printed certificate. You can join courses midway, and drop them at any time as well as do as many as you want so it may be useful for your boyfriend if he wants a bit of an advantage other others with similar grades.
As for what I'm applying for, I don't have anything set in stone yet so to speak but I'm hoping something bio-chemistry related. I'll look into it, thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads