Cornflakes1688
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I cannot cope with the new academic year. I try to listen in class with things like science, but theres no use anymore, in chemistry the teacher just goes too fast physics, the teachers great but its my worst subject, while everybody's catching on i'm still majorly confused, biology is ok so far but i agent remembered anything. I 'm struggling to find a revision method that i can secure for the rest of my education. I haven't made any notes for my half term test because i don't know how. i pretty much haven to re-teach myself everything because the teaching methods aren't effective for me pleeeassee, if anyone had any advice it'd be great
hi_itsiona
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My biggest bit of advance would be firstly relax. There's no point worrying about things and getting so stressed that you just physically can't revise. My tips when coming to revision are definitely condensing your class notes or notes made from textbooks, revision guides etc and writing summaries for each sub-topic. Then, turn these summaries into bullet points and questions and answers which can then be transferred onto huge mind maps which you can stick all over your bedroom or onto flashcards which you can then either test yourself when you're on the bus, eating dinner etc or get other people to test you at any spare moments you have throughout the day.
When it comes to your teachers, try talking to them and explain how you're feeling and what you're struggling with (I understand that this is easier said than done though!) Maybe try talking to your parents or whoever is at home and try and organise a tutor in the subjects you're really struggling in or organise a study group with people in your classes, or people who are doing the same subjects as you and try and teach yourself effectively. For science especially, try watching the mygcsescience videos on youtube and the CGP revision guides are super helpful!
Honestly, there's so many different things you can do for revision, you just have to find out what works for you and you'll be fine. From my experience at GCSEs I found year 10 more stressful than year 11 definitely, so I promise that things will only get better!
daniella_r
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cornflakes1688)
I cannot cope with the new academic year. I try to listen in class with things like science, but theres no use anymore, in chemistry the teacher just goes too fast physics, the teachers great but its my worst subject, while everybody's catching on i'm still majorly confused, biology is ok so far but i agent remembered anything. I 'm struggling to find a revision method that i can secure for the rest of my education. I haven't made any notes for my half term test because i don't know how. i pretty much haven to re-teach myself everything because the teaching methods aren't effective for me pleeeassee, if anyone had any advice it'd be great
First talk to your teachers. They are paid to help you and they want you to succeed (and if they're good teachers it'll genuinely be for you as well). A year ago I was in your situation and now if I don't understand anything I just go straight to a teacher to go over the lesson with me or give me a few extra questions. As for finding a revision method you really have to just try out everyone to find the best way. Ask your parents, friends, family and teachers for any methods they used. I can message you a few links to pages with tips on (they are mostly tumblr aha). For me tumblr got me out of a motivation dip. It's always nice to see how other people do their work and be inspired by it. If there is anything else I am more than happy to help
Neveka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Slow down. Stop stressing about everything and do it bit by bit. Each day, after doing your homework, spend about 30 minutes to 40 minutes on the subjects you had on that day. Doing that, you can go over the stuff you did in school and do some extra revision. Perhaps you should consider buying a textbook, it's quite easy to make your own notes. You have a year and a half or so to get yourself together so I think you should try something. I wouldn't suggest you do this If your the type person who gets lost on Youtube, but Youtube is like another school. There is a lot of stuff that you can learn. There are also other websites. There are kids out there that get it instantly, but let's face it. Even you know you're not one of them. And that's perfectly okay. You've just got to work harder and that takes time and dedication. I've given you some tips, it's now up to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (724)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (919)
42.9%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (406)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed