GDL revision notes, advice and help?? Urgent

Watch this thread
Anneliese79
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone...

Ive just started the part time GDL at MMU and I'm getting really anxious, particularly in regards to public Law. Prior to this course, i pretty much didn't know any politics (ok..a little, about the political parties from my Criminology and forensics degree, also at MMU three years ago), so i am, as you can imagine, not really grasping constitutional and administrative law!

My tutor talks so fast that i cannot possibly hear her, and her voice goes up and down in pitch and volume and is abrupt in pattern at the same time, so i just can't understand her. Its like she is racing along. I suffer from OCD and i find it really really hard to filter out what is not important, and to choose what is important and i just don't have a clue with this subject.

Is it possible that anyone who has done the GDL part time or who is currently doing it, has any full revision notes for the first year so i can see what i am supposed to be learning?

Im getting so stressed out and feeling like a failure for not being able to understand this stuff.
Its all about:
Parliamentary sovereignty
Judicial Review
Human rights act
convention on human rights

How the hell am i going to write essays about this stuff? can anyone who is doing or has done the course, help me out with some order to do things and what to include and how to link things together??? I know this is a big ask but I'm clutching at straws. :-(xxAnneliese
happyinthehaze
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Look - calm down! Big deep breaths!!

a) it takes a while to acclimatise to the pace of the GDL

b) ask to see your public law teacher out of class and ask her to help and guide you

c) go and see your course tutor

d) consider the role your OCD plays and mention it to your course tutor now.

e) keep going back over the notes from class and work out what key information you need to learn and make charts. Make a chart, go back, book an appoitment iwth your tutor, and ask them to go over it with you. They will help you

f) do this all now else you get swamped - it will make you feel better and in control

g) google constitution in the guardian online - it might help you to make the connections for public law - ditto JR

h) notes. It is better for you to work it out for yourself than use someone else's notes - honestly. because you have to understand it and you can only do that for yourself. I found a law lecturer called Steven Vaughan who had made some very useful and realistic Prezzi how to revise for law students. very very helpful.

- honestly, go and talk to your tutor and your course tutor. you are not the only person to experience this on the gdl - its common.

yes I do have the GDL - i thought public law was great, but land law made me cry. it was oK though. I got a commendation with a very low grade in land law. but i passed it!

(Original post by Anneliese79)
Hi everyone...

Ive just started the part time GDL at MMU and I'm getting really anxious, particularly in regards to public Law. Prior to this course, i pretty much didn't know any politics (ok..a little, about the political parties from my Criminology and forensics degree, also at MMU three years ago), so i am, as you can imagine, not really grasping constitutional and administrative law!

My tutor talks so fast that i cannot possibly hear her, and her voice goes up and down in pitch and volume and is abrupt in pattern at the same time, so i just can't understand her. Its like she is racing along. I suffer from OCD and i find it really really hard to filter out what is not important, and to choose what is important and i just don't have a clue with this subject.

Is it possible that anyone who has done the GDL part time or who is currently doing it, has any full revision notes for the first year so i can see what i am supposed to be learning?

Im getting so stressed out and feeling like a failure for not being able to understand this stuff.
Its all about:
Parliamentary sovereignty
Judicial Review
Human rights act
convention on human rights

How the hell am i going to write essays about this stuff? can anyone who is doing or has done the course, help me out with some order to do things and what to include and how to link things together??? I know this is a big ask but I'm clutching at straws. :-(xxAnneliese
Anneliese79
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey Happy...thanks so much for your reply...much appreciated. You're right, I should go see my tutor and perhaps a support person there. If only I had my dads brain..he just read my land law book and loved it! Lol X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads